Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen wanting to marry and move to USA

UK Citizen wanting to marry and move to USA

Old Mar 17th 2017, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen wanting to marry and move to USA

Originally Posted by DanAlty31
So I have had a think on this and I think the CR-1 Visa is the best way to go when it comes to stability and finances, can anyone with experience of going down this route confirm the cost from start to finish and roughly the estimate time it will take from the day we complete the initial forms to the day I receive the thumbs up from the US?

Also is what I stated in my original post true, that there is a law that I have to have met her IN THE USA, to be eligible? or is this irrelevant aslong as she submits the petition?

Thanks again.

AFAIK you could've met anywhere, location is irrelevant. I believe CR-1 requires proof of "bona fide marriage" so like photos, tickets showing your meetings, etc.

It's $525 for the petition, $325 for the actual visa application, plus costs of the medical (almost £300 for Knightsbridge Drs but no idea if filing from inside the USA allows one to use a different company for their medical), any vaccines required, UK police certificate (~£20) and photocopying/postage. This is ballpark, there might be slight differences for filing from within the US versus DCF which is what we're doing.

Last edited by aless02; Mar 17th 2017 at 12:18 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... can anyone [...] confirm the cost from start to finish...
Budget about US$2,000 for fees, medical, ACRO certificate, travel, photos, and photocopies. All the form fees are listed at www.uscis.gov. This amount covers the visa costs only... it does not include any costs associated with getting married in the first place.

... and roughly the estimate time it will take from the day we complete the initial forms to the day I receive the thumbs up from the US?
As I mentioned earlier... about 8-10 months. Anything else is a guess. Word of warning: do not book flights until you have the visa in your hand.

Also is what I stated in my original post true, that there is a law that I have to have met her IN THE USA, to be eligible? or is this irrelevant aslong as she submits the petition?
There is no law whatsoever, that requires you to have met in the US at any time. So, if you read that on a website, I suggest you stop reading that website. The only requirement for a K-1 visa is that you have met, at least once face-to-face, within the prior 2 years. Beyond that, there are no meeting requirements. For a CR-1 visa, it's moot since you'd need to have met to be married (barring some sort of proxy marriage, which likely doesn't apply to you).

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:02 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Our fees incurred so far are:

I-130 application $420 (current fee is $535)
Affidavit of Support $120
Immigration Visa application fee $325

Police certificate £45

I've yet to pay for the medical and any other fees as required.

I'm 8 months into the process, just waiting for my application to be transferred to London, so I can book the medical and interview.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 2:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter where you met or even where you get married.

From start to finish, about 8 to 10 months.

Budget about $2500.

Rene
Old Mar 17th 2017, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aless02
AFAIK you could've met anywhere, location is irrelevant. I believe CR-1 requires proof of "bona fide marriage" so like photos, tickets showing your meetings, etc.

It's $525 for the petition, $325 for the actual visa application, plus costs of the medical (almost £300 for Knightsbridge Drs but no idea if filing from inside the USA allows one to use a different company for their medical), any vaccines required, UK police certificate (~£20) and photocopying/postage. This is ballpark, there might be slight differences for filing from within the US versus DCF which is what we're doing.
Also military records if applicable.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

ChDaun331 is an unknown quantity at this point

Police certificate? Is this just an acknowledgment from the Criminal Records Bureau confirming your current criminal record? or is it a different document? My old man is a copper and reckons this has to be applied for through the CRB, £10 charge for it for upto a 6 week wait for £45 for a 2 week wait. Ive also just got back a CTC (Counter Terrorist Check, obviously it came back all A okay, Im assuming this will further reinforce my evidence when submitting it with the Police Cert?

D.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 1:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Police certificate?
You're required to get an ACRO certificate. Anything you have beyond that is extraneous.

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're required to get an ACRO certificate. Anything you have beyond that is extraneous.

Ian
As Ian says, you need your ACRO certificate as this is the only one valid for visa applications. If you have no criminal record it should come back "No Trace". If it comes back "No Live Trace" then there is something recorded against you but in UK terms it is deemed spent. If this should happen to you - doubtful on what you say, then come back here and the nice folk at BE will tell you how to proceed.
I believe that whilst waiting for your CR1 to be processed you can still visit the US using the VWP - Ian will confirm I'm sure.
Good luck with your journey!
Old Mar 19th 2017, 11:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
.... I believe that whilst waiting for your CR1 to be processed you can still visit the US using the VWP .....
Assuming you are VWP-eligible then this is correct.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

ChDaun331 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, Are we able to begin the process of the CR1 application without having been married yet, or if the US Foreign national (my girl) has not applied for the UK visitors Marriage visa? or is this essential we get married first before starting the application / petition? Turns out we havent got enough time to get married in June as the notice of marriage needs to stand for 28 days (with a visa) or upto 70 days without. Shes only gunna be here on this trip for 21 days.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You MUST be legally married before the I-130 can be filed.

It doesn't matter where in the world you get married, though.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Are we able to begin the process of the CR1 application without having been married yet...
No. Full stop!

Turns out we havent got enough time to get married in June as the notice of marriage needs to stand for 28 days (with a visa) or upto 70 days without.
Well then, you're going to need to rethink your strategy. Why don't you go to the US and marry her there? You don't need a visa to get married on the VWP and so long as you leave within your allotted 90 days, you'll be fine. She can file the I-130 while you're still in the US, so long as it's after you're married.

Ian
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Morning. Curious on this. Is your fiancée a US Citizen or a US National. They are different with different rights.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Morning. Curious on this. Is your fiancée a US Citizen or a US National. They are different with different rights.
US nationals who are not also US citizens are as rare as hens teeth, comprising only a small subset of those born on Samoa who declined to take US citizenship.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 6:36 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
OP said his gf was born in California

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.