Reload this Page >

UK citizen in Rep of Ireland

Wikiposts

UK citizen in Rep of Ireland

Old Sep 11th 2018, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

StrawberryThistle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen in Rep of Ireland

I hope I can make what I want to say come across with as much sense as possible.
Fiance is U.K. citizen living/working in Republic of Ireland. He has UK passport and social. Ireland social. I am US citizen living in US. If we go through either K1 or CR1 process, will he have problems for the interview..etc..required on his part because he’s in Ireland?
From my research either process will take approximately the same time, The biggest difference being immediate GC versus being out of work and waiting until actual marriage in US for GC, right?
So CR1 - 8-10 month wait for approval - immediately can work once entry in u.s.
K1 - 8-10 month wait for approval - enter US, marry within 90 days, wait additional 4-6 months for work
ESTA - marry while visiting us, apply for GC, wait approx 6 months for work. (Not condoning this option, just trying to understand it)

did I get that right?
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen in Rep of Ireland

Hopefully a mod can move this to the marriage based forum, where you may get more inputs.

He will not have an issue going through the process in Ireland, he can file at the US embassy in Dublin.

You are correct with your options, however please don't consider coming over on the VWP (ESTA), marrying and overstaying. Whilst it is technically possible, it could also very easily result in a ban from the US if for whatever reason he needed to leave the US before he was able to gain lawful residence. It is fraught with unnecessary risks and potential legal challenges.

You really have to weigh the benefits of being apart longer vs being out of work for 3-6 months to decide between the two.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Hopefully a mod can move this to the marriage based forum, where you may get more inputs.

He will not have an issue going through the process in Ireland, he can file at the US embassy in Dublin.

You are correct with your options, however please don't consider coming over on the VWP (ESTA), marrying and overstaying. Whilst it is technically possible, it could also very easily result in a ban from the US if for whatever reason he needed to leave the US before he was able to gain lawful residence. It is fraught with unnecessary risks and potential legal challenges.

You really have to weigh the benefits of being apart longer vs being out of work for 3-6 months to decide between the two.
The biggest issue was, of course, the level of difficulty for him being UK citizen living in Ireland and the process. Then of course my overthinking girl brain wanting to understand it all. Thank you so much!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 12:49 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA - marry while visiting us, apply for GC, wait approx 6 months for work. (Not condoning this option, just trying to understand it)
This isn't an option. It's fraud. So you don't need to mention it when 'trying to understand it' since it's irrelevant and illegal.

The biggest issue was, of course, the level of difficulty for him being UK citizen living in Ireland and the process.
There is no level of difficulty. If he is ordinarily resident in Ireland, he will need to have interview in Dublin.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind and explicit words. I never considered it an option, it's the way my brain thinks in rationally it out. I am well aware of the implications of illegal immigration as I am a farmers daughter. Again, thank you and have a wonderful day!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

A number of us have been through the K1 and CR1 (and done it ourselves without a lawyer). Once you decide what route you want to go down there certainly won't be a shortage of people to help you.

Pros and cons to both the K1 and CR1 as you already know so, work out whats best for you guys and go from there

Good luck!