Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs/Border Control navigation

U.S. Customs/Border Control navigation

Old Apr 12th 2023, 9:50 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Customs/Border Control navigation

Originally Posted by Armw
I’ll look into Global Entry - thanks.

My previous trip was long’un pushing the 87 day mark i believe. However this one (and my third most recent) is for less than a month in duration.

If it’s of any use/importance I am a chef for a wedding company based in both the U.K. and France that gives me the very fortunate opportunity to travel more frequently than most and also to save money quite intensely prior to travelling hence the frequency and duration of my trips.
That could be a double edge sword…

A work schedule of events could show when you have to return home / for work… but a chef is a job that you could likely “do cash in hand” in the US, many illegal aliens work in kitchens… so that may not be the best thing to bring up.

In your situation I would look at the medium / long term… you now have what you need to move here legally (a wife)… it just won’t be fast to do it by the book.

Last edited by tht; Apr 12th 2023 at 9:53 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 9:38 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Armw
with regards to recent travel to the US - that is correct. Is there an issue with this? I sense I run a higher risk of being pulled aside due to frequent travel and Hence why I’d like to be prepared.

i did presume that I’d end up having to talk about immigration , I was just a bit confused as per our lawyer i was instructed not to….period.

No I do not work remotely whilst in the US.
I read your description of the attorney’s advice of being along the lines of the general advice against volunteering information without being asked. Remember the rule is answer only the question asked.

Old Apr 13th 2023, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that you are not doing Adjustment of Status [AOS]. That terms only applies if you are living in the US and will continue to live in the US while awaiting adjustment.

Your wife has filed for your Conditional Permanent Resident Visa [CRP]. Two very different things with the same end results ... your ability to reside in the US legally with your wife.

When you get to the POE what were you intending to say is the purpose of your trip? Don't lie. You are visiting your wife. Take it from there with the officer. As mentioned they will see that your wife has an I-130 pending for you. Your life has now become transparent. Don't lie, don't fudge .. answer any question truthfully, without embellishment ... many of our members have been in your shoes and have survived.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please note that you are not doing Adjustment of Status [AOS]. That terms only applies if you are living in the US and will continue to live in the US while awaiting adjustment.

Your wife has filed for your Conditional Permanent Resident Visa [CRP]. Two very different things with the same end results ... your ability to reside in the US legally with your wife.

When you get to the POE what were you intending to say is the purpose of your trip? Don't lie. You are visiting your wife. Take it from there with the officer. As mentioned they will see that your wife has an I-130 pending for you. Your life has now become transparent. Don't lie, don't fudge .. answer any question truthfully, without embellishment ... many of our members have been in your shoes and have survived.
hey Rete - thanks for that and Thankyou for the clarification and also the little morale boost at the end!

I certainly had no intention of lying or obstructing the truth - not a jot. I always intended to say I was visiting my wife.

I was more looking for suggestions on how to navigate the issue of immigration once it undoubtedly arose when I was initially under the pretence it must not be discussed at all.

However, thankfully it’s becoming much clearer!
Old Apr 13th 2023, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I read your description of the attorney’s advice of being along the lines of the general advice against volunteering information without being asked. Remember the rule is answer only the question asked.
on reflection (and with assistance!!) as do I now. Thanks again
Old Apr 13th 2023, 10:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'll come at this from the other side, having worked for 5 years in the immigration hall of the old terminal 2 at Heathrow.

Regards Mr F's rule 3. If I asked that sort of question and got the smart arse answer my immediate thought is what are they concerned I'm going to find out, then I'd start digging to find it.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 2:25 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I'll come at this from the other side, having worked for 5 years in the immigration hall of the old terminal 2 at Heathrow.

Regards Mr F's rule 3. If I asked that sort of question and got the smart arse answer my immediate thought is what are they concerned I'm going to find out, then I'd start digging to find it.
I would go to pains to point out that my do you know what time it is is a bad example given for demonstration purposes only in the context of advice. The inquiry about do know the time is actually Uber polite request for the time. But let’s say that OP is landing in Boston before connecting to Dallas. The POE officer inquires where are you headed? Just answer Dallas, no need to say Dallas for 28 days to visit my wife. Nothing snarky or smarmy about that.

Also, my three rules are NOT for the purpose of giving the best answer. Rather they are easy to remember and apply tools for that jet lagged exhausted passenger to avoid staying out of trouble. You are right that the examiner will formulate and ask questions to get the information they want.

There is a story I like to tell about an inspection we went through at Heathrow some years back. We were traveling with our daughter who as then 21 years old. We present ourselves as a family group with three passports and concomitant entry forms. The examiner then questions our daughter without a word to my wife or to me. What do you do? I’m a student. Where do you go to school? University of California Santa Cruz. (Given its late September) Are you taking a year off? No, I have to be back on October 12th. Why are you going to Cornwall? Visit my uncle. He lives there. How is he your uncle? (Pointing at her mother) Her brother. (Examiner looks at the passports). I decided to the say four words - He is naturalized British. Very good. Stamp stamp stamp.

As we leave the customs immigration enclosure, my ladies are going WTF. I explained that officer wondered if daughter intended to stay in the UK like her uncle.