Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

U.S. Conditional resident moving back to U.K for a year to study.

Wikiposts

U.S. Conditional resident moving back to U.K for a year to study.

Old Sep 3rd 2016, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Conditional resident moving back to U.K for a year to study.

Originally Posted by CallumBarker
Hey all, I'm back, just seeking some clarification. I'm wondering if it's worth applying for the reentry permit- well be gone by October and obviously that doesn't leave much time for biometrics to be done etc., only four weeks or so. With the fact that the reentry permit only lasts as long as green card anyway, I'm unsure if it's worth pursuing, all things considered.
Essentially, if I'm overseas when my 2 year card expires, and I apply from overseas at the earliest possible time (around Jan.) to get it renewed, and am willing to visit the US to have my biometrics taken, should that theoretically work out? Would I be allowed back in the US to undergo the renewal, even if the biometrics were to be scheduled for after my current card's expiry?
IMO it is worth it...I think you must apply while you are within the US.

My daughter went to uni in Canada. Came back to NJ every month or so and for all holidays...retained bank, drivers license, credit card, her car was registered and insured in NJ etc. She had no problems for approx 3 years...then while crossing into the US by land in her NJ registered car...she was told that would be the last time she would be allowed entry unless she had a re-entry permit. Fortunately we had already applied for US citizenship and her next visit was for her interview/oath ceremony...so she didn't bother to get the permit.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 1:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO it is worth it...I think you must apply while you are within the US. ....
Correct, you must be in the US to apply
.... My daughter went to uni in Canada. Came back to NJ every month or so and for all holidays...retained bank, drivers license, credit card, her car was registered and insured in NJ etc. She had no problems for approx 3 years...then while crossing into the US by land in her NJ registered car...she was told that would be the last time she would be allowed entry unless she had a re-entry permit. Fortunately we had already applied for US citizenship and her next visit was for her interview/oath ceremony...so she didn't bother to get the permit.
I know anecdotally of someone who was working, full time, in Argentina, and came back at least once a year to the US. The last time I heard was five or six years ago, but he had been coming back to the US "to keep his green card active" for seventeen years! Obviously during that time he must have had to renew the card at least once, and must have had a family member or friend willing to lend him their address.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It never ceases to amaze me how convoluted people's plans get because all they can think of is "now"... this is something I have to do "now". What really blows my mind is why someone would even apply for a master's degree in the UK when they're currently a PR living in the US. I just can't fathom how people think these days!
Different people live their lives in different ways.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that, if an opportunity arises to do something that a person wants to do, they would explore the possibilities of taking that opportunity. The fact that this might require them to live in a different country for a year or two and require them to negotiate a path through various immigration issues is, surely, secondary.

This has nothing to do with "how people think these days" and a lot to do with people just being different from each other.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It never ceases to amaze me how convoluted people's plans get because all they can think of is "now"... this is something I have to do "now". What really blows my mind is why someone would even apply for a master's degree in the UK when they're currently a PR living in the US. I just can't fathom how people think these days!

Ian
I must say I somewhat agree with this.

The poster in 2014 had only just finished his studies, got married and entered the US on a visitor visa and very luckily got AOS. Now, in just under two years he is returning to the UK to do a Masters, paying a chuck of money for the wife's settlement visa, only to, maybe, return again after a year.

They must have more than enough spare money to be able to do this what with fees for college, visas etc.