Reload this Page >

Two US visits in a short period

Wikiposts

Two US visits in a short period

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Lewgos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two US visits in a short period

I am due to travel to the US in Feb for two weeks on holiday. However roughly 3 weeks after i leave the US i am scheduled to go back on a seperate holiday to New York for a week with friends.

I wondered what the process would be here regarding the VWP, would i have to reapply after leaving the US the first time? or would the original 90 days still apply on my second visit, as it is still within that period?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two US visits in a short period

Originally Posted by Lewgos
I am due to travel to the US in Feb for two weeks on holiday. However roughly 3 weeks after i leave the US i am scheduled to go back on a seperate holiday to New York for a week with friends.

I wondered what the process would be here regarding the VWP, would i have to reapply after leaving the US the first time? or would the original 90 days still apply on my second visit, as it is still within that period?

Thanks for your help
Once you fill out the ESTA form, if it's approved, it's valid for 2 years, so you don't need to "reapply". If your circumstances change after filing your initial ESTA, though (such as an arrest), then you do need to reapply.

Each visit to the USA is seen as a separate visit, with a new 90-day time limit. So the original 90 days will not apply on your second visit; it will be a new entry.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 13th 2010 at 3:19 am.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to Noorah's comments, to put your mind at rest, I did it with an 11 day gap between visits - but don't make it a habit!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

And to further allay your fears, back in 1999-2000 I was working in the UK but my boss and co-workers on the project were all in the US. I would travel UK->US for 12-13 days every month (for 13 months). No problems, apart from perpetual jetlag and the cabin attendants getting to know me by name!

- Tim
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Lewgos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies guys, just to confirm, did you complete a new esta every time?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies guys, just to confirm, did you complete a new esta every time?
No..the ESTA form lasts 2 years.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
No..the ESTA form lasts 2 years.
Exactly, since none of my circumstances changed.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

See answer here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=2

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How long is my ESTA approval good for?

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for two years*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to re-apply for two years. You may update your travel information; however this information is optional and is not required.

Receiving ESTA authorization does not mean you may stay in the U.S. for two years. It only allows you to travel to the U.S. under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which only allows you to stay in the U.S. for 90 days or less. If you plan to stay for longer than 90 days, you must obtain a visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

*If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the "support" of sorts, I visited the US for two weeks in may, came home on the friday, then flew back on the monday for another week (without the kids ) they didnt bat an eyelid at immigration.

I actually asked at the desk when i was leaving the States the first time, cos i was so worried about visits so close together, and the guy said it was no problem at all.

Same ESTA, two different I-94W thingies. a lot of bloomin flying! Hurrah for my PSP
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madelina
Same ESTA, two different I-94W thingies. a lot of bloomin flying! Hurrah for my PSP
I so rely on the PSP to keep me entertained during flights as well!