Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Two sceanarios ..... Which path to take?

Wikiposts

Two sceanarios ..... Which path to take?

Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:05 am
RH1
Just Joined

RH1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two sceanarios ..... Which path to take?

Originally Posted by RH1
So I live in England, and my fiance lives in the united states. For the past 1 1/2 she has been visiting me often, once she stayed for 6 months and the last time she stayed for two. They stopped her at the border and asked her why she was back visiting again in such a short period and she said visiting her bf because we were going to be discussing marriage and visas, well her honesty led her being held there at the airport for hours and they questioned her alot about everything, I didnt know know what they spoke about but i ended up getting a phone call and they asked me why she was in the country again and I made the mistake of saying we were thinking of getting married(obviously we had no visa, we didnt have a clue about visas or that we needed one right away remember we were engaged but we were still gathering information) well they only let her in the country for one month and she stayed for two because financially they made it more difficult for her to leave so quickly. To make a long story short, Im going to be going to visit her in the United states. We wanted to know if it would be wise to get married over there and just not bring it up when they aske me my intensions for this visit. For me just to say vacationing. And then we go get married and apply for the k3 while im there? OR should we apply for a fiance visa instead even though we have heard that it means we have to continue this back and forth visiting deal for a bit longer?
Ok this is the idea and maybe the final descion we make:

I Fly to US
We get married
We file then for the K3
then when processed and approved off to the US?

Is that correct?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RH1

I Fly to US
We get married
We file then for the K3

Is that correct?
Did you read all the answers you received? Seems like you didn't pick up on the fact that the K-3 is no good anymore.

Revise to read:
I fly to US
We get married
USC files I-130 in the USA
UKC returns to the UK before 90 days is up
When Immigrant Visa is approved and issued in the UK, then off to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:11 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RH1

I Fly to US
We get married
We file then for the K3

Is that correct?
Will it work? Probably
Is it a good plan? No
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you read all the answers you received? Seems like you didn't pick up on the fact that the K-3 is no good anymore.

Revise to read:
I fly to US
We get married
USC files I-130 in the USA
UKC returns to the UK before 90 days is up
When Immigrant Visa is approved and issued in the UK, then off to the USA.

Rene
I should mention that you CAN go for the K-3 if you WANT to, it's just not the best visa out there, but of course the choice is totally yours. If your heart is set on the K-3, then yes, you can do that, even though it's longer, more hassle, and more expense than the Immigrant Visa directly.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:24 am
RH1
Just Joined

No No Norah you are right , oh god yea sorry that is what I did meant to say (I-130)!!! hahaha I dont know why I wrote that!!! Too much on my mind everything is getting mixed up in there.

I should mention that you CAN go for the K-3 if you WANT to, it's just not the best visa out there, but of course the choice is totally yours. If your heart is set on the K-3, then yes, you can do that, even though it's longer, more hassle, and more expense than the Immigrant Visa directly.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by RH1
No No Norah you are right , oh god yea sorry that is what I did meant to say (I-130)!!! hahaha I dont know why I wrote that!!! Too much on my mind everything is getting mixed up in there.
LOL, in that case your list looks good. Just make sure the UKC brings proof of ties back to the UK in case the POE officer needs to see anything like that (letter from employer, letter from school, mortgage or rental information, etc). The burden of proof is on the UKC that he does NOT intend to immigrate to the USA on that trip. Only answer the questions asked, don't volunteer extra info (hint, if the Officer doesn't ask specifically, do you plan to get married to a USC on this trip?, don't volunteer that info).

Be aware the UKC can only stay as long as the VWP allows, then must go back to the UK for visa processing.

Make sure the USC meets the financial requirements for the affidavit of support, form I-864 (found at www.uscis.gov).

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:44 am
RH1
Just Joined

Yup sounds good then thanks for all your help and I'll make sure to obtain a letter from my employer stating when they expect me to return to work.
wish us luck and thanks to everyone again helped alot!

LOL, in that case your list looks good. Just make sure the UKC brings proof of ties back to the UK in case the POE officer needs to see anything like that (letter from employer, letter from school, mortgage or rental information, etc). The burden of proof is on the UKC that he does NOT intend to immigrate to the USA on that trip. Only answer the questions asked, don't volunteer extra info (hint, if the Officer doesn't ask specifically, do you plan to get married to a USC on this trip?, don't volunteer that info).

Be aware the UKC can only stay as long as the VWP allows, then must go back to the UK for visa processing.

Make sure the USC meets the financial requirements for the affidavit of support, form I-864 (found at www.uscis.gov).

Rene