Reload this Page >

Two questions concerning I-130

Wikiposts

Two questions concerning I-130

Old Jun 6th 2002, 2:20 am
Steve

Default Two questions concerning I-130

Hi there,

We're almost ready for the great leap of faith (filing the I-130 as a DCF in London)
and something occurs to me.

My wife is basically on a thyroid medication she must take for the rest of her life.
Now here in the UK, both citizens and residents like me (a USC) have access to the
National Health Service, and she can get her meds. But what about the U.S.? Will she
be limited in her options? Is there something I can do on her behalf?

Steve

Old Jun 6th 2002, 2:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Two questions concerning I-130

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > We're almost ready for the great leap of faith (filing the I-130 as a DCF
in
    > London) and something occurs to me.
    >
    > My wife is basically on a thyroid medication she must take for the rest of her
    > life. Now here in the UK, both citizens and residents like me (a USC) have access
    > to the National Health Service, and she can get her meds. But what about the U.S.?
    > Will she be limited in her options? Is there something I can do on her behalf?

Hopefully someone with more personal experience of this situation will be able to
help but here are my thoughts:

Obviously in the US you need your own health insurance. Although health insurance
would normally pick up (some of) the cost of prescription drugs, I would guess that
the insurance company would decide that as this was a pre-existing condition, they
wouldn't do so. However, things aren't that cut & dried. Usually insurance companies
will pay for pre-existing conditions if the previous insurance paid for it. Now
obviously you don't have current insurance but they might take the fact that she was
covered by the national health service for this.

Additionally, if you get covered by an employer's health coverage things are usually
different. They operate on the "pool" of employees and don't always have the same
restrictions on pre-existing conditions, etc.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 am
Mrtravel

Insurance doesn't generally cover existing conditions right away. There isn't really
much you can do about it.

Steve wrote:
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > We're almost ready for the great leap of faith (filing the I-130 as a DCF in
    > London) and something occurs to me.
    >
    > My wife is basically on a thyroid medication she must take for the rest of her
    > life. Now here in the UK, both citizens and residents like me (a USC) have access
    > to the National Health Service, and she can get her meds. But what about the U.S.?
    > Will she be limited in her options? Is there something I can do on her behalf?
    >
    > Steve

Old Jun 6th 2002, 4:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Andy's post is on the money. If you are adding your wife to your employer issued health insurance, there is a chance that they will cover her condition immediately. Like with all things, you really have to talk with the HR person of your company to determine the policies restrictions.

I am only speaking from personal experience in reard to prescription meds. I've had coverage for prescription meds for the last 25 odd years. Every policy is different with varying co-pays and some now have mail in service for long term prescriptions such as your wife's. The co-pay over the years has varied from 1/2 to $5 to $10 depending on the prescription.

There are private policies one can take out for just this type of coverage.

Have her doctor give her enough medication to last her for a minimum of 90 days so that she doesn't have to worry about it when she first gets here. Also have her ask her doctor about what the US equivalent of the same med would be so that there is no issue in regards to dosage and name brand.

Rete
Old Jun 6th 2002, 10:20 am
Steve

Hi Rete,

The problem is complicated by the fact that I'm in the UK with her, meaning no
employment lined up for me at the moment. I'd have to find it. Now, admittedly I do
have saleable skills, and it wouldn't take long but with the way the world is, I'm
not one for taking chances with my family's health.

Exit, stage left. Steve

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Andy's post is on the money. If you are adding your wife to your employer issued
    > health insurance, there is a chance that they will cover her condition immediately.
    > Like with all things, you really have to talk with the HR person of your company to
    > determine the policies restrictions.
    >
    > I am only speaking from personal experience in reard to prescription meds. I've had
    > coverage for prescription meds for the last 25 odd years. Every policy is different
    > with varying co-pays and some now have mail in service for long term prescriptions
    > such as your wife's. The co-pay over the years has varied from 1/2 to $5 to $10
    > depending on the prescription.
    >
    > There are private policies one can take out for just this type of coverage.
    >
    > Have her doctor give her enough medication to last her for a minimum of 90 days so
    > that she doesn't have to worry about it when she first gets here. Also have her ask
    > her doctor about what the US equivalent of the same med would be so that there is
    > no issue in regards to dosage and name brand.
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 7th 2002, 2:23 am
Liwen Liang

The way health insurance works here in the US is that if you can prove that your
previous health insurance has terminated, and there is no gap between the previous
one and the current one, then the current one would have to cover the "pre-existing"
conditions.

It happened to me last year, I was covered under my husband's policy before Aug.
2001. I changed job in late June, 2001, so between that 30
- 40 days (late June - July 31, 2001,) I was actually covered by 2 health
insurance policies.

And I happened to have some thyroid conditions that I started seeing a doctor since
March 2001. My husband was laid off at the end of July, so I lost his coverage
starting Aug. 1, 2001.

To add my husband and my daughter to my current insurance requires me to get a
document (HIPAA certificate) from my husband's last health insurance company to state
the the coverage was terminated starting August 1, 2001. So that my current insurance
will cover whatever conditions we had before that date.

If there was a gap between coverage, my current insurance company can impose this
"waiting period" for 12 months or 18 months (each insurance company probably have
different regulations about this,) before they start covering any pre-existing
conditions.

At least that's how it works here in the US when you switch between insurance
coverage. You can try to search "HIPAA certificate" from the internet to learn more.
However, I am not sure what you will need to do when two insurance policies are
between different countries.

Maybe what you need to do is for you to come to US and find a job first while your
wife wait in UK so that she can still be covered by her insurance there. Then when
you start working, make sure you add your wife to the insurance coverage at the
beginning (enrollment.) Then start from there, make sure your wife get enough
medicine before she joins you in the US.

Not sure if this will help you, but good luck.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Rete,
    >
    > The problem is complicated by the fact that I'm in the UK with her, meaning no
    > employment lined up for me at the moment. I'd have to find it. Now, admittedly I do
    > have saleable skills, and it wouldn't take long but with the way the world is, I'm
    > not one for taking chances with my family's health.
    >
    > Exit, stage left. Steve
    >
    >
    > "Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Andy's post is on the money. If you are adding your wife to your employer issued
    > > health insurance, there is a chance that they will cover her condition
    > > immediately. Like with all things, you really have to talk with the HR person of
    > > your company to determine the policies restrictions.
    > >
    > > I am only speaking from personal experience in reard to prescription meds. I've
    > > had coverage for prescription meds for the last 25 odd years. Every policy is
    > > different with varying co-pays and some now have mail in service for long term
    > > prescriptions such as your wife's. The co-pay over the years has varied from 1/2
    > > to $5 to $10 depending on the prescription.
    > >
    > > There are private policies one can take out for just this type of coverage.
    > >
    > > Have her doctor give her enough medication to last her for a minimum of 90 days
    > > so that she doesn't have to worry about it when she first gets here. Also have
    > > her ask her doctor about what the US equivalent of the same med would be so that
    > > there is no issue in regards to dosage and name brand.
    > >
    > > Rete
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 7th 2002, 5:21 am
Michele Sharik

It was my understanding - based upon something my HR rep told me - that the law was
changed such that IF your condition was covered by previous medical coverage (with no
- or very little? - break in coverage), then the new company must cover it, too.

I believe that National Health systems count under "previous coverage", but check
with your company's HR rep to be certain.

good luck! -Michèle

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Insurance doesn't generally cover existing conditions right away. There isn't
    > really much you can do about it.