Two i-864 queries: exchange rate and sponsorship

Wikiposts

Two i-864 queries: exchange rate and sponsorship

Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:45 am
Just Joined

henryc is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Two i-864 queries: exchange rate and sponsorship

Hi all,

We're doing direct consular filing in London and have been told that the embassy has now received our i-130, hooray!

We're now preparing the i-864. My wife, the USC, will be leaving her job in London so we have asked my mother-in-law to serve as a joint sponsor for financial reasons. Is it still correct for my wife to be listed as the primary sponsor on her own i-864? Line 8 in Part Three indicates that applications involving a joint sponsor should select "no" - should they both select this option on their respective i-864s? Surely one of them should affirm that they are the primary sponsor, but we're not sure which one.

Finally, does anyone know where we can check the official US-UK exchange rate being used to report UK income in US dollars for the i-864?

If there is no official rate, is it acceptable to simply use last year's IRS rate, or calculate income based on the going rate (GBP 1 : USD 1.49) and note that you have used that rate on the form?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Henry
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two i-864 queries: exchange rate and sponsorship

I don't know about the exchange rate question, but I do know your USC wife needs to complete an I-864 even though she doesn't qualify financially. She IS your sponsor.

Your mother in law will be a joint sponsor, and needs to complete her own separate I-864.

Edit: I looked at the I-864, Part 3, Line 8. Both your wife and her mother will check "yes" in that box. They are both sponsoring you, and you are the principal immigrant. "No" can only be checked if you have 2 joint sponsors. You have just one.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 25th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryc
Is it still correct for my wife to be listed as the primary sponsor on her own i-864?
She is your USC spouse... she MUST be the primary sponsor even if she doesn't qualify financially. It's not a choice.

Line 8 in Part Three indicates that applications involving a joint sponsor should select "no"...
That is not what it says.

... should they both select this option on their respective i-864s?
They should both tick "yes". Your wife is your primary sponsor, and your MIL is your primary joint sponsor. You do not have two joint sponsors.

Finally, does anyone know where we can check the official US-UK exchange rate being used to report UK income in US dollars for the i-864?
Use xe.com's exchange rate. It's as "official" as you're likely to get - and you can specify the exact date for the rate of exchange.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 25th 2010 at 3:32 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:31 am
Just Joined

henryc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all very much for your replies - I was thinking that an application with two sponsors would require that both take the status of joint sponsor! We really appreciate your advice.

Henry
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryc
This IRS page at the Embassy website has historical exchange rates.

Unofficial Exchange Rates 2003/2009

You must report all income in U.S. dollar equivalents. The IRS has no official exchange rate. Any posted exchange rate that is used consistently is acceptable. For additional exchange rates, check the U.S. treasury website at http://fms.treas.gov/intn.html#rates. Taxpayers generally use the yearly average exchange rate to report foreign income that was regularly received throughout the year.
(more)