Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling While applying for K1-Visa

Wikiposts

Travelling While applying for K1-Visa

Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:19 am
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice
Default Travelling While applying for K1-Visa

Hi All,
I am at the stage of arranging my medical before i get an interview at the embassy for my (Hopefully) K1- visa stamp before marrying my US fiancee and moving to the States. Am i allowed to fly to the states in the next couple of weeks to go and see her or will it be a problem due to the fact i am in the process of the K1 Visa process.
Cheers
Warren
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling While applying for K1-Visa

Originally Posted by Waza
I am at the stage of arranging my medical before i get an interview at the embassy for my (Hopefully) K1- visa stamp before marrying my US fiancee and moving to the States.
Small correction, you have this the wrong way around. It should be "before moving to the States and marrying my US fiancee". It's important to get the sequence right.

Am i allowed to fly to the states in the next couple of weeks to go and see her or will it be a problem due to the fact i am in the process of the K1 Visa process.
No, it's not a problem. You are allowed to visit the USA at any time during the whole K-1 visa process. Just bring proof of your ties to the UK in case the POE officer asks. As always, there is a risk of getting turned away at the POE, just be prepared for it if it happens to you.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:27 am
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice

What sort of "Proof of ties to the UK" do you mean. House, Job etc.....
Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

House, Job etc.....
Yes.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

W,

Since most people will answer 'yes' to this question, I will point out that you are on the record as intending to break all your ties to the UK.

I will also point out that the first question you will be asked when you appear at a US POE is not, "What are your ties to the UK". Rather, the first questions you will be asked are, "What is the purpose of your visit" and "How long are you planning to stay." You need to be prepared for those questions with answers that indicate you have no current reason to remain in the USA at this time once you have accomplished the purpose of your visit.

I'm not saying that you should not have 'proof of ties' with you, I am saying that the opposited side of the coin should not be overlooked.

Regards, JEff

What sort of "Proof of ties to the UK" do you mean. House, Job etc.....
Thanks