Reload this Page >

Travelling To The USA Medical Condition

Travelling To The USA Medical Condition

Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Steveee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling To The USA Medical Condition

Hi,

While my question is not relocation based, I was hoping you would be able to help: -

I'm going to be travelling to the USA Late May for 2 weeks holiday to visit a friend. I'm not currently working and have anxiety/depression which i have been seeking medical help for.

I have no intention of staying past my 2 week travel date, and will be staying with a friend purely to take in the sites have a holiday. The friend is question is a girl that i have met online and struck up a great relationship with. I have adequate funds to cover my trip over £1,000.

Do i need to apply for any visas or get any doctors notes etc, as i can see at POE I might have some problems.

Thanks and sorry again for posting in your immigration section.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling To The USA Medical Condition

Originally Posted by Steveee
Hi,

While my question is not relocation based, I was hoping you would be able to help: -

I'm going to be travelling to the USA Late May for 2 weeks holiday to visit a friend. I'm not currently working and have anxiety/depression which i have been seeking medical help for.

I have no intention of staying past my 2 week travel date, and will be staying with a friend purely to take in the sites have a holiday. The friend is question is a girl that i have met online and struck up a great relationship with. I have adequate funds to cover my trip over £1,000.

Do i need to apply for any visas or get any doctors notes etc, as i can see at POE I might have some problems.

The real issue, IMHO, is whether or not the question on the green card "have you been diagnosed with a mental condition" (or whatever it is) should be answered as yes or as no.

I suspect that the answer is no, as depression in this context is not considered a serious condition. (And especially given the fact that you've been able to arrange a holiday etc...some people are so seriously ill that they can't leave the house)
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The standard Visa waiver ..will be sufficient.. if you are
not wearing a silver foil hat all the time

Unless you have any conviction you forgot to mention ...
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

No convictions and I'm saving the silver foil hats for a rainy day. Ty for your speedy response.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And some travel insurance that accepts your condition. A lot wont as standard and even if they do, they may attach a waiver for anything they feel is because of your condition. Medical is essential for an emergency because if something, can be fairly minor, happens, your 1000 is not going to cut it.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think so?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

No, you'll be fine. When I first came over to the US I was on medication for similar problems I had (but that's another story for another time ). I got worried for the same reason and to be on the safe side I got a doctor's note explaining that my medication was mine and what the meds were for, I paid about 10 -15 pounds for my note and didn't even need it. As long as you are not a danger to yourself or anyone else, I really don't believe you have anything to worry about there. You go and have a great time!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The real issue, IMHO, is whether or not the question on the green card "have you been diagnosed with a mental condition" (or whatever it is) should be answered as yes or as no.

I suspect that the answer is no, as depression in this context is not considered a serious condition. (And especially given the fact that you've been able to arrange a holiday etc...some people are so seriously ill that they can't leave the house)
It would be no. To answer yes would be like saying you broke your leg when you only have a graze on your knee, IMO. Mental illness would be the disability to tell reality from fantasy, make poor judgements based on that, and to be a danger to oneself or others.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
It would be no. To answer yes would be like saying you broke your leg when you only have a graze on your knee, IMO. Mental illness would be the disability to tell reality from fantasy, make poor judgements based on that, and to be a danger to oneself or others.
Your definition is not mental illness - it is perhaps a SERIOUS mental illness.

Depression, anxiety, etc. are mental illnesses. Whether they are ones that must be declared to use the VWP, I do not know - it would depend upon how the question is worded.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why do you think so?
The original poster mentioned that they suffered from depression / anxiety.

The prospect of making a trip to the US while exciting is also probably somewhat stressful and I am not surprised that someone who is prone to anxiety might be apprehensive about certain aspects of the trip and need a little reassurance.

Given what the original poster described I don't see any obvious reason why there would be any problem.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone your comments have really helped. I do feel a little anxious about it. I want to have a great holiday !

ty all.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone your comments have really helped. I do feel a little anxious about it. I want to have a great holiday !

ty all.
I think everybody does going thru the POE ...
Its like taking a driving test ...or an exam