Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the US with my wife

Wikiposts

Travelling to the US with my wife

Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling to the US with my wife

In a few weeks my wife and I are going to visit the US for a couple of weeks. Our situation: she is a US citizen resident in the UK, I am British. I have been to the US many times, but this is going to be our first trip together as a married couple. Reading from previous threads, I understand that we'll probably be asked to go to the US citizens/PR line and they will probably ask me a few questions about my intent to return to the UK. This is a list of the documents we are going to bring with us:

- a recent letter from my employer, confirming that I have been working with them full time for X years
- two or three recent payslips
- council tax and utility bills in our names
- some recent bank statements
- my wife's UK residence permit (on her passport).

We don't own our apartment and our rental agreement ends in mid September, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring it. Do you think the above should be enough, or is there something I have overlooked? Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the US with my wife

Originally Posted by Marocco
In a few weeks my wife and I are going to visit the US for a couple of weeks. Our situation: she is a US citizen resident in the UK, I am British. I have been to the US many times, but this is going to be our first trip together as a married couple. Reading from previous threads, I understand that we'll probably be asked to go to the US citizens/PR line and they will probably ask me a few questions about my intent to return to the UK. This is a list of the documents we are going to bring with us:

- a recent letter from my employer, confirming that I have been working with them full time for X years
- two or three recent payslips
- council tax and utility bills in our names
- some recent bank statements
- my wife's UK residence permit (on her passport).

We don't own our apartment and our rental agreement ends in mid September, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring it. Do you think the above should be enough, or is there something I have overlooked? Thanks.
The employer's letter should also say that they are expecting you back at work after your vacation.

Maybe proof of any 'vacation type stuff' you have lined up during your stay?

Other than that I'd say you should be okay, although there is of course no guarantee.

But do not show anything unless asked! Only answer questions that are asked and avoid lengthy explanations.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The employer's letter should also say that they are expecting you back at work after your vacation.
Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The reason is that I have taken an extended holiday, since after right after our US holiday we are going to have to move flats. If they see that my holiday is longer than my stay in the US they may get very suspicious . Do you think it's a problem if the employer letter doesn't state when I am due back in the office?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Maybe proof of any 'vacation type stuff' you have lined up during your stay?
We are really going there to visit her family, not to do tourist activities, so I'm not sure what I could show them. The only thing I can think of is our hotel reservation.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Letter from wife's employer.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Letter from wife's employer.
Not possible. My wife doesn't work.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it's a problem if the employer letter doesn't state when I am due back in the office?
Philosophically speaking, you can not prove a negative... therefore, no matter what you do, you can not demonstrate that you do not intend to stay longer than planned. So, the best you can do is show what you are planning to do and that you still have responsibilities back home.

The only thing I can think of is our hotel reservation.
Y'see... hotel reservations are good.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Philosophically speaking, you can not prove a negative... therefore, no matter what you do, you can not demonstrate that you do not intend to stay longer than planned. So, the best you can do is show what you are planning to do and that you still have responsibilities back home.

Y'see... hotel reservations are good.

Ian
why cant you just split off and go to seperate queues. Do they really know that you are both married, are their systems that hooked up?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:40 am
J. J. Farrell

On Jul 2, 6:15 am, Marocco <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The employer's letter should also say that they are expecting you back
> > at work after your vacation.
>
> > Maybe proof of any 'vacation type stuff' you have lined up during
> > your stay?
>
> > Other than that I'd say you should be okay, although there is of
> > course no guarantee.
>
> > But do not show anything unless asked! Only answer questions that are
> > asked and avoid lengthy explanations.
>
> Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The reason is that I
> have taken an extended holiday, since after right after our US holiday
> we are going to have to move flats. If they see that my holiday is
> longer than my stay in the US they may get very suspicious . Do you
> think it's a problem if the employer letter doesn't state when I am due
> back in the office?

It's future intent that matters. An employer letter saying you worked
for him for years is good in that it shows a reationship, but without
any indication about the future it says nothing about your intent.
It's anybody's guess how the mind of the individual Border Protection
officer will work, but to my mind the situation you describe would
make your case stronger - you are expected back at work in the UK in
the near future (so you're probably not emingrating) and you're not
even planning to stay in the USA for as long as you've got off work
(which suggests that being in the USA isn't the most important thing
in the world to you).

As long as the extended leave is a few weeks rather than a few years,
I'd get a letter saying when you are required back in the UK office.
You will have your return ticket to indicate when you're going back.
If you've got a rental or purchase agreement for the new flat that
will also help.

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by angelman
why cant you just split off and go to seperate queues. Do they really know that you are both married, are their systems that hooked up?
We have thought about that, but technically that might be considered a crime (the customs form specifically asks if any family members are travelling with you). While the chances of getting caught are probably very small, I wouldn't want us to have problems in the future.

I have asked my employer and they are willing to give me a letter stating, in addition, that I am "expected back in the office after my vacation in the US" (without giving the exact date). We'll also bring my pay slips, P60's, bank statements, my wife's UK residence permit and our hotel reservations. Unless the immigration officer is a complete jerk, we should probably get through! Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting to point out the obvious but if you are moving when you return, don't you have some kind of paperwork that shows that? Rental agreement, removal company agreement, something along those lines.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Not wanting to point out the obvious but if you are moving when you return, don't you have some kind of paperwork that shows that? Rental agreement, removal company agreement, something along those lines.
We don't know exactly when we are going to move and haven't made any arrangements yet. We are going to start looking for a new place in the middle of August, after we are back from our trip. This is why I took an extended holiday.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We have thought about that, but technically that might be considered a crime (the customs form specifically asks if any family members are travelling with you).
Don't be silly... this is not a crime... technically or otherwise. You *are* travelling with family members... you just aren't in line with them. In fact, you'd be in the correct line, since you aren't a USC or a PR. The fact that you *could* be in the USC line with your wife is totally irrelevant.

It seems as though you're trying to get inside the mind of some immigration officer... but that never works out well.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't be silly... this is not a crime... technically or otherwise. You *are* travelling with family members... you just aren't in line with them.
So you are saying it's allowed for husband and wife to fill in separate customs form and go through immigration separately? I thought they were supposed to fill in one form for the whole family (the form asks how many family members are travelling with you). In fact, it's been so long since the last time I was in the US I don't even remember if the immigration officers look at your customs form at all...
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You would fill in 1 form and go through separate lines. If you are not a PR or USC then you should be going through the non citizens line anyway and run the risk of getting off on the wrong foot with the immigration officer by going through the wrong line. Maybe.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You would fill in 1 form and go through separate lines. If you are not a PR or USC then you should be going through the non citizens line anyway and run the risk of getting off on the wrong foot with the immigration officer by going through the wrong line. Maybe.
If we do that, what happens to the one who is not carrying a form when going through immigration (assuming the form is needed there)? What I had gathered from earlier discussions on this topic was that you should point out the situation to one of the officers standing at the beginning of the line, and they will direct both family members to the same queue, which is usually the one for USC/PR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.