Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the US during green card app process

Wikiposts

Travelling to the US during green card app process

Old May 10th 2003, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Wheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant future
Default Travelling to the US during green card app process

Hi, My wife and I are getting green cards through her job as a Nurse.
I was wondering If there were any restrictions on travelling to the US once the process was under way.

Cheers.
Old May 10th 2003, 5:28 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wheelie...I'm a nurse too, and going through the same process you are. Theoretically, entering on a Visa Waiver, you are declaring that you have no immigrant intent, but because you are applying for a green card, technically you DO have immigrant intent, so it's a bit of a grey area. I have been travelling regularly to the States since I started my application, and have had no problems, but I suggest two things: firstly, do not lie under any circumstances but do not volunteer information unless asked, and then you should answer truthfully. If you are entering as a tourist then say so. Secondly, if the immigration officer should discover that you have an application pending then tell the truth, but make sure you have documents on you proving that you have reason to return to the UK, e.g. a return ticket, a letter from your employer stating that you are on vacation and are intending to return to work on a certain date, and a rent agreement of mortgage deed to prove you own a property and have ties in the UK.

If they don't believe you and want you to leave, then volunteer to leave and you will not suffer any consequences for your green card, and it would be as if you have never attempted to enter the US. If you object and remove you forcibly, then you will receive a ban and lots of problems.

I actually took legal advice about this...I called my US nursing agency and asked the legal advisor there and he said it was ok to travel. Good luck!
Old May 10th 2003, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Wheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant futureWheelie1 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Hi Wheelie...I'm a nurse too, and going through the same process you are. Theoretically, entering on a Visa Waiver, you are declaring that you have no immigrant intent, but because you are applying for a green card, technically you DO have immigrant intent, so it's a bit of a grey area. I have been travelling regularly to the States since I started my application, and have had no problems, but I suggest two things: firstly, do not lie under any circumstances but do not volunteer information unless asked, and then you should answer truthfully. If you are entering as a tourist then say so. Secondly, if the immigration officer should discover that you have an application pending then tell the truth, but make sure you have documents on you proving that you have reason to return to the UK, e.g. a return ticket, a letter from your employer stating that you are on vacation and are intending to return to work on a certain date, and a rent agreement of mortgage deed to prove you own a property and have ties in the UK.

If they don't believe you and want you to leave, then volunteer to leave and you will not suffer any consequences for your green card, and it would be as if you have never attempted to enter the US. If you object and remove you forcibly, then you will receive a ban and lots of problems.

I actually took legal advice about this...I called my US nursing agency and asked the legal advisor there and he said it was ok to travel. Good luck!

Thanks Rockgurl, Thats pretty much the same conclusion we had come to. Its great to here from someone who's going through the same process. Would you mind If we emailed you to compare notes?
Old May 11th 2003, 2:32 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to email me Wheelie...it's great to talk to others going through this process. [email protected]
Old May 11th 2003, 6:13 am
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Feel free to email me Wheelie...it's great to talk to others going through this process. [email protected]
Hi Rockgurl
Have you heard anything from NVC yet??
Old May 11th 2003, 9:38 pm
Rock Goddess

All I know is that my fees have been received and that they are awaiting packet 3. I should receive my interview date in about 6 weeks.