Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Hawaii/U.S Carribean Islands during AOS

Wikiposts

Travelling to Hawaii/U.S Carribean Islands during AOS

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

bigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nice
Default Travelling to Hawaii/U.S Carribean Islands during AOS

Just want to know if its possible to go to Hawaii or one of the U.S carribean islands before i have AOS? want to go somewhere nice for our honeymoon and just wanted to know if there would be any problem, as they are not continental U.S.

thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:17 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Hawaii/U.S Carribean Islands during AOS

Hawaii is a US state. You would still be in the USA if you traveled there. You cannot travel outside the US before you get your advanced parole for AOS. There are probably emergeny documents for travel before AOS (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but a honeymoon doesn't count.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigticket77
Just want to know if its possible to go to Hawaii or one of the U.S carribean islands before i have AOS? want to go somewhere nice for our honeymoon and just wanted to know if there would be any problem, as they are not continental U.S.

thanks
It's best to stick to the continental US until you have your AP in hand. It takes about 60 days after filing AOS to get AP in hand. Also make sure your circumstances allow you to use AP safely.

The reason for this, is that if the plane needs to land outside the US for some emergency reason, and you do not have AP in hand, or you don't qualify to use AP, you will be stuck outside the USA and will not be able to return.

Rene
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's best to stick to the continental US until you have your AP in hand. It takes about 60 days after filing AOS to get AP in hand. Also make sure your circumstances allow you to use AP safely.

The reason for this, is that if the plane needs to land outside the US for some emergency reason, and you do not have AP in hand, or you don't qualify to use AP, you will be stuck outside the USA and will not be able to return.

Rene
If you land outside of the US going to Hawaii, I think you are in more trouble than getting back into the US.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If you land outside of the US going to Hawaii, I think you are in more trouble than getting back into the US.
lol, you'd think. The problem with a question like the OP's is that there is no pat answer. Just when you think 'that's the most ridiculous objection I've ever read, talk about hair splitting!' someone will come along and cite a time or three when it DID happen and went bad for the immigrant.

The most conservative thing to do is stay on the US mainland until you've got a travel document. I think it would be irresponsible to say 'heck yeah, go for it!' when it is not my bacon on the line.
People need to know what the possible problems are and make their own decision.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:57 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Good point Noorah.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hawaii is a US state. You would still be in the USA if you traveled there. You cannot travel outside the US before you get your advanced parole for AOS. There are probably emergeny documents for travel before AOS (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but a honeymoon doesn't count.
Hi:

It is a long established principle of law that travel from one state to another is OK because one does not make an "entry" as that was defined in the Immigration & Nationality Act as it existed prior to Sept 30, 1996. In fact there was an old case about an Englishman who sailed from L.A. to Honolulu -- with a layover for provisioning in Ensenada. He was considered an applicant for admission.

In 1996, the term "entry" was eliminated from the INA and replaced with "admission" -- in the change, the words "from a place foreign" were eliminated. I will not go into the reasons why this was done except it was a desire to eliminate perceived problems with "entry."

So, although the practice of treating flights to Alaska and Hawaii as domestic flights continues, no one seems to have noticed that the legal basis for that practice went away.