Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please help.

Wikiposts

travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please help.

Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

melanieberns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please help.

Preface: The consulate emailed us and said that our k-1 interview will "very likely" be scheduled for early September but we haven't received confirmation yet or packet 4 (soon please!).

I am going to visit my fiance (UK) for a few weeks at the beginning of September via Heathrow. Hopefully, I will be there for his interview and to fly home with him to the US.

I need your advice.

First, I've visited him in England many times BUT not since I became engaged.

I'm nearly always interrogated at Heathrow though-unlike my fiance, who never has problems at the LAX POE---not even during his trips as a fiance during our visa process--he says he's visiting his girlfriend. Similarly, I always say I am visiting my boyfriend...BUT they freak out and ask me 30 questions and for proof. They always ask me what I do and I tell them that I am a college student at @#$& and that I will be returning soon. However, I graduated a week ago (summer school). I do not have a job yet (I'm pretty sure I will be substitute teaching when I get back but it's not certain yet)...I'm waiting to see what happens with my fiance's visa before I seriously look for long term employment. Lamely, I just realized yesterday that this may be a big problem though. hmmm.

Advice?
What do you think I should say at the airport???

Since some of you visited your fiance's during the interview, what did you say at the airport? Have you had problems?

My friends joke that I'm picked on b/c I'm a cute girl, but I imagine it has more to do with their fear that I'm going to try to immigrate. Should I say I'm in England for my fiance's k-1 interview and to help him move, then show the officer our 2nd NOA and faxed copy of our interview date letter? Do you think they'll freak at the word fiance and deny me entry...or ask me what I will do if he's denied?

Or, should I just say that I'm visiting friends and then, when pressed, offer them tidbits of filtered information.

I'm sorry this is so long. Please help me if you can. I'd sincerely appreciate it.
truy yours,
melanie

Last edited by melanieberns; Aug 21st 2003 at 12:03 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please he

I would imagine that you should be fine if you have the NOA2, interview letter, etc proving that you are both intending to move to the States. It just seems totally weird that they would give you trouble if you have all these documentation.

Here is a HUGE overkill if you are really really worrie. You can always take a plane ticket for Paris, possibly visit the city , and then take the Eurostar to London... You will clear immigration in France for all Europe, so you should not be checked at your entry in the UK. If you are going this route, however, you want to re-check this! I am sure that student travel agencies (since you say you just graduated, you should have your student card valid until the end of this year for student priced tickets) would be able to make you a trip like that with return from London.

Caroline
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:44 pm
Squire

Default Re: travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please help.

In article <[email protected]>, Caro
<[email protected]> writes
    >Here is a HUGE overkill if you are really really worrie. You can always
    >take a plane ticket for Paris, possibly visit the city , and then take
    >the Eurostar to London... You will clear immigration in France for all
    >Europe, so you should not be checked at your entry in the UK. If you are
    >going this route, however, you want to re-check this!

No, France does not clear immigration for all Europe, only those
countries that are part of the Schengen agreement. The United Kingdom is
not a party to the Schengen Treaty. British Immigration officials based
in France carry out passport and visa checks prior to passengers
boarding the trains, an arrangement similar to US POE officials working
at Canadian airports.

The name "Schengen" originates from a small town in Luxembourg. In
March 1995, seven European Union countries signed a treaty to end
internal border checkpoints and controls. More countries have joined
the treaty over the past years. At present, there are 15 Schengen
countries, all in Europe.

The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands,
Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. All these countries except
Norway and Iceland are European Union members.

--
squire
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travelling to england for fiance's interview but seriously need advice. please help.

Originally posted by Squire

No, France does not clear immigration for all Europe, only those
countries that are part of the Schengen agreement. The United Kingdom is
not a party to the Schengen Treaty. British Immigration officials based
in France carry out passport and visa checks prior to passengers
boarding the trains, an arrangement similar to US POE officials working
at Canadian airports.

The name "Schengen" originates from a small town in Luxembourg. In
March 1995, seven European Union countries signed a treaty to end
internal border checkpoints and controls. More countries have joined
the treaty over the past years. At present, there are 15 Schengen
countries, all in Europe.

The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland,
France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands,
Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. All these countries except
Norway and Iceland are European Union members.

--
squire
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)
Never mind then! Yes, you are right. I didn't realize that the UK was not in the Schengen treaty. I am just accustomed to traveling with a citizenship from the EU, and the few times I have been to the UK, I did not realize that there was an immigration check (can not remember it anyway. Probably less memorable than the INS ones ). I don't even think I had my passport, just my French id.

Thanks for correcting me!

Caroline
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

personally I would tell them you are coming over to provide moral support at the fiance visa interview at the london US embassy. If they make anything of it ask them why you would go to the expense and time of getting a fiance visa if you were coming here to stay.

All the best
Lee
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

melanieberns is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you leebarton and Caro. I appreciate it.

melanie