Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Wikiposts

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

It is a weighted risk matter. What are you going to say when they ask who you are going to visit...I.e. where are you staying, who are you visiting. You might break the law and get away with it. I doubt you will get much sympathy in this newsgroup however; as it is lawbreakers doing such things as this that is making it so difficult to go the process legitably.

When you interview at the consulate don't you think they will ask how long you have know each other? When you met? One lie leads to others. Think about it...don't do it. As the attorneys in here will point out you have made well know your intent to break the law here in this NG.

Is breaking the law okay with you as long as you don't get caught?

Originally posted by Susanna
Can someone please explain? I understand the Ten-foot Pole that is not the question really, except if you marry on a 1-94w can you stay your 90days of get out back to your homeland as soon as wedding is over?.
Also all this about lying at POE????? how do they ever prove that situation if someone where to do so? ie someone enters, and states thay are on a Holiday which to an extent they are, do the POE log the whole conversation word for word? just curious.

We have decided after all our questions and being perfectly within our rights to marry here, as there was no intent, to go the K1 route thanks for everyones advice.
Susannna
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:08 am
Maryanne Kehoe

Thank you---that is the point I was trying to make. And I can't remember
who said POE inspectors are now starting to ask more questions (because
of the upcoming holidays?)---it is ALWAYS best to be truthful, as later
on it could bite you in the butt (such as if you got married on VWP,
then you go for your interview and the 1st question is "why didn't you
apply for K-1 visa to get married in the States?")

Re: Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Sun, Nov 23, 2003, 4:26pm
(EST+5) From: member15505@british_expats.com (lpdiver)
If they ask you a question you have to tell the truth. If you get caught
in a lie later (and they will scrutinize the case carefully when you
apply for the K-3) it may be VERY bad.
It's a gamble I wouldn't take.
Originally posted by Audrieu
My fiance and myself(alien) have decided to get married at X-mas, I will
be traveling under the visa wavier program and returning to Britain in
January i will be presuing am immgrant visas (and k-3).
Should I mention the intention to marry at the Port of Entry or just
state as all the other times "Holiday". The consulate webpage advises
you bring proof of residence. I have a letter from my place of work but
I dont have a morgage or rental agreement (living with parents still,
until we decide what we are doing). Will the letter from my company be
enough? Or if not has anyone any other ideas for what else to bring
thanks.
--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:58 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
It is a weighted risk matter. What are you going to say when they ask who you are going to visit...I.e. where are you staying, who are you visiting. You might break the law and get away with it. I doubt you will get much sympathy in this newsgroup however; as it is lawbreakers doing such things as this that is making it so difficult to go the process legitably.

When you interview at the consulate don't you think they will ask how long you have know each other? When you met? One lie leads to others. Think about it...don't do it. As the attorneys in here will point out you have made well know your intent to break the law here in this NG.

DITTO lp. Don't risk it!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

No that was not the point you stated. The ten foot pole is directly realated to marrying on the VWP and staying in the US to adjust status. Simply lying about marriage intent when planning to subsequently leave the US and adjust status elsewhere is not realted to the ten foot pole.

Originally posted by Maryanne Kehoe

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Sun, Nov 23, 2003, 4:26pm
(EST+5) From: member15505@british_expats.com (lpdiver)
If they ask you a question you have to tell the truth. If you get caught
in a lie later (and they will scrutinize the case carefully when you
apply for the K-3) it may be VERY bad.
It's a gamble I wouldn't take.
Originally posted by Audrieu
My fiance and myself(alien) have decided to get married at X-mas, I will
be traveling under the visa wavier program and returning to Britain in
January i will be presuing am immgrant visas (and k-3).
Should I mention the intention to marry at the Port of Entry or just
state as all the other times "Holiday". The consulate webpage advises
you bring proof of residence. I have a letter from my place of work but
I dont have a morgage or rental agreement (living with parents still,
until we decide what we are doing). Will the letter from my company be
enough? Or if not has anyone any other ideas for what else to bring
thanks.
--
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver

Did I miss something? Where did Susanna make "well known" her intent to break the law? Perhaps there's another thread? I saw her say they have decided to go the K1 route.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:40 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
Did I miss something? Where did Susanna make "well known" her intent to break the law? Perhaps there's another thread? I saw her say they have decided to go the K1 route.
Are Susanna and Audrie the same person?
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Are Susanna and Audrie the same person?
Sorry had to laugh Susanna is just Susanna.
And I was and would never lie or intend to do anything illegal, my point was that, in my case I entered the US on a 1-94w and My then Penfriend proposed to me once here I had as some people on here know no intention of staying yet alone getting married, so as I did not lie or enter with any intent then I was going to Marry here in December but after careful thought, it has been decided by family, friends and myself that K1 would be the better way to go as I need to tidy up my affiars in the UK.
The questions that I asked were purely general and just curiosity regarding POE as I have seen so many posts on it.
Sorry if anyone is confused.
Susanna
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

It is not neccessary for the original poster to lie about this. What she wants to do is not illegal. However, there is a risk she won't be let into the US... and that's the risk she has the '10 foot pole people' to thank for. With a lot of evidence of their plans, the border officials may let the OP in, or they may not. But the plan in itself is not illegal.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:12 am

Sorry had to laugh Susanna is just Susanna.
And I was and would never lie or intend to do anything illegal, my point was that, in my case I entered the US on a 1-94w and My then Penfriend proposed to me once here I had as some people on here know no intention of staying yet alone getting married, so as I did not lie or enter with any intent then I was going to Marry here in December but after careful thought, it has been decided by family, friends and myself that K1 would be the better way to go as I need to tidy up my affiars in the UK.
The questions that I asked were purely general and just curiosity regarding POE as I have seen so many posts on it.
Sorry if anyone is confused.
Susanna
Oh lol ok.. I think lpdiver meant so say all that to Audrie..
My eldest sister's name is also Susana but with a single n

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Nov 23rd 2003 at 9:16 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

So the intention was to get married get the visa underway and try to find a job.

Sounds clear to me

Originally posted by meauxna
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Audrieu is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, what a can of worms this all is. I half wish I hadnt decided to see what I could find on the web after reading the US embasseys london bit about the vwp. But forewarned is forearmed.

So we dont know what we will do. But there is no way I am going to break the law, its just not worth the pain. Still the options and a few questions we have are:

1. If I am asked my reason for coming over and I answer holiday is it considered lieing - just as a note this was booked as a holiday before we decided to try and get married during it... and it might well be again.

2. If they contuine along the line of question and ask, about my girlfriend are we getting married and I answer yes at that point, it will look as if I have been trying to hide it and proably make it harder to gain entry so I would be better say "Holiday and getting married before returning to the uk"

3. If we were decided to put the wedding back and go the K-1 option do yous recon there would be as much trouble with the answer to the are you planning to marry is the answer was " Yes in August next year"

4. The other option we are looking at now is booking her flights back to the UK and filing for a visa for her in the british consulate in LA. And her returning with me and us remaining in the uk for some time.

Oh well.. thanks everyone your time hopefully everything will work. We definity want to be together this x-mas... it has been 8 months since we last visted and it has been hell...
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 11:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And the answer would be the truth because you were planning on returning to your country and going the I-130/K-3 route which they are doing. Can't see, in my opinion, that the US Consulate will have an issue with someone using the VWP to enter the US to marry and then returning abroad to proceed with an immigration processing. It is not unlawful to do that.

Besides what horrible scrunity will the K-3 or I-130 petitioner/beneficiary come under for marrying and returning abroad for processing. Nothing more than I can see would be asked of anyone going through the K-1 process. Prove your relationship.

Rete
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:19 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

THANK YOU!!!

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Sun, Nov 23, 2003, 9:40pm
(EST+5) From: member15421@british_expats.com (HunterGreen)
It is not neccessary for the original poster to lie about this. What she
wants to do is not illegal. However, there is a risk she won't be let
into the US... and that's the risk she has the '10 foot pole people' to
thank for. With a lot of evidence of their plans, the border officials
may let the OP in, or they may not. But the plan in itself is not
illegal.
--

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:22 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

Ohh Rete, now I am confused! LOL.....but in reading HunterGreen's
posting, I would rather err on the side of caution, especially as it
seems we *are* seeing increased questioning at POE's, even for legal
visitors w/visas, VWP, K-1, K-3, etc....

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Mon, Nov 24, 2003, 12:28am
(EST+5) From: member167@british_expats.com (Rete)
of the upcoming holidays?)---it is ALWAYS best to be truthful,
as later
And the answer would be the truth because you were planning on returning
to your country and going the I-130/K-3 route which they are doing.
Can't see, in my opinion, that the US Consulate will have an issue with
someone using the VWP to enter the US to marry and then returning abroad
to proceed with an immigration processing. It is not unlawful to do
that.
Besides what horrible scrunity will the K-3 or I-130
petitioner/beneficiary come under for marrying and returning abroad for
processing. Nothing more than I can see would be asked of anyone going
through the K-1 process. Prove your relationship.
Rete
--

Old Dec 1st 2003, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Can someone please explain? I understand the Ten-foot Pole that is not the question really, except if you marry on a 1-94w can you stay your 90days of get out back to your homeland as soon as wedding is over?.
Also all this about lying at POE????? how do they ever prove that situation if someone where to do so? ie someone enters, and states thay are on a Holiday which to an extent they are, do the POE log the whole conversation word for word? just curious.

We have decided after all our questions and being perfectly within our rights to marry here, as there was no intent, to go the K1 route thanks for everyones advice.
Susannna
I got married in similar circumstances in May on an I-94W. My wife (American) and I (British) have lived together in Canada for many years and had not intention of immigrating to the US. So we travelled to our wedding in North Carolina (where wife's family is) as though it were a normal visit - one of the dozens we've made over the years - got married and came back to Canada.

If you have no intention of immigrating, then there is no legal requirement for a K-1. So what you would be doing (travelling on I-94W, getting married, and returning home) would be entirely legal.

However, IF you get picked on by the officer at the POE, then you might come unstuck. So getting a K-1 is a better way of ensuring that you will not be denied entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.