Reload this Page >

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Wikiposts

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Audrieu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

My fiance and myself(alien) have decided to get married at X-mas, I will be traveling under the visa wavier program and returning to Britain in January i will be presuing am immgrant visas (and k-3).

Should I mention the intention to marry at the Port of Entry or just state as all the other times "Holiday". The consulate webpage advises you bring proof of residence. I have a letter from my place of work but I dont have a morgage or rental agreement (living with parents still, until we decide what we are doing). Will the letter from my company be enough? Or if not has anyone any other ideas for what else to bring

thanks.

Last edited by Audrieu; Nov 22nd 2003 at 4:03 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:14 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

When my husband come over to marry under Visa Waiver, he did *not* tell them he was coming to get married. Because no matter how legit you are that you WILL be returning to the UK and not breaking the rules of the VWP, if the person feels there is too much risk, they can send you back home on the plane w/o even getting to see your fiance.

I would just say "holiday." No need to risk it. (And you're not lying either.)

Have you come over before? Because they will likely ask you more than just that question. Be prepared.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
I would just say "holiday." No need to risk it. (And you're not lying either.)

Have you come over before? Because they will likely ask you more than just that question. Be prepared.
This is about my about my fifth visit in the past two years. Didn't have many questions last x-mas when I brough the engagement ring and declared on the customs form. Suppose I am just a more parnoid now that we are marrying.

So far the only major trouble I had was when the I didn't here the officer asked me how I was today.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:25 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Audrieu
Suppose I am just a more parnoid now that we are marrying.
We've been paranoid for every single trip we've made to see each other...

For my upcoming 4-day trip over there, I'm taking a statement from my employer & a rent receipt to help prove I'm coming back, in case they rake me over the coals...

However you decide to answer their questions, congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!! We wish you both every happiness!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:31 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

The general impression seems to be that if you visit on the VWP you definitely run the risk of being refused entry if you mention your intention to wed a USC. You could always offer evidence showing your intention to return to the UK but I think most immigration officers at your POE will be inclined to refuse the entry. Too high a risk of you staying in the USA once you marry.

Have you considered just applying for a fiance visa and waiting until that is issued before marrying, or even have the USC come to the UK, marry here and do DCF?

I'm sure you will opt for what suits you best, and good luck
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by CharlieS
You could always offer evidence showing your intention to return to the UK but I think most immigration officers at your POE will be inclined to refuse the entry. Too high a risk of you staying in the USA once you marry.
If thats a case even mentioning she is my fiance runs a risk then?

Have you considered just applying for a fiance visa and waiting until that is issued before marrying, or even have the USC come to the UK, marry here and do DCF?
Yup we had considered that. But on the money front we proably couldn't afford. I would really need to be able to be able to get some sort of work straight away to pay my own bills from over here. So the intention was to get married get the visa underway and try to find a job.

My Fiance really wants to get married near her family so it really has to be in the US.

Are they really that parnoid about people staying? Is there anything other than a letter of employment that would work for eviedence (given that I dont have rent receipts etc).

I'm sure you will opt for what suits you best, and good luck
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:57 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

Three words:

Ten Foot Pole

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:24 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

If thats a case even mentioning she is my fiance runs a risk then?
I was engaged once before (don't ask) and was travelling backwards and forwards to DC a lot to visit him

Maybe Dulles immigration guys are just better than most but I always told them I was visiting my fiance and never had a problem at that particular airport. One of the guys even told me what a K1 visa was. I'd never heard of it before and we weren't planning marriage for quite some time and I had no intention then of ever living in the US, so hadn't looked into it.

But I did have minor at Chicago. I never got denied entry but they'd always ask me a hell of a lot of questions.

If you're taking annual leave from work you could always take a letter along with you to that effect.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sibsie

But I did have minor at Chicago. I never got denied entry but they'd always ask me a hell of a lot of questions.

If you're taking annual leave from work you could always take a letter along with you to that effect.
I am planning on it. I just hope I get them in a good mood... but I dont know i am arriving on x-mas day!

Can but hope!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally posted by Maryanne Kehoe
Three words:

Ten Foot Pole

This has nothing to do with that subject. He is returning after getting married.

Loose lips sink ships, dead marines tell no tales. Knowwhatimean?
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 5:11 pm
Bill Murphy

> Are they really that parnoid about people staying?

In a word, YES.

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Maryanne Kehoe
Three words:
Ten Foot Pole
Hardly. It would be if they intended to stay in the US after the wedding. There is nothing illegal about getting married in the US and returning to your home country to file for the proper visa to reside in the US.
The trouble is with the people who did abuse the VWP and used it with immigrant intent. They created the '10 foot pole' situation and therefor put people who have no illegal intentions in the situation the OP is now in (guilty until proven innocent).
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

If they ask you a question you have to tell the truth. If you get caught in a lie later (and they will scrutinize the case carefully when you apply for the K-3) it may be VERY bad.

It's a gamble I wouldn't take.

My fiance and myself(alien) have decided to get married at X-mas, I will be traveling under the visa wavier program and returning to Britain in January i will be presuing am immgrant visas (and k-3).

Should I mention the intention to marry at the Port of Entry or just state as all the other times "Holiday". The consulate webpage advises you bring proof of residence. I have a letter from my place of work but I dont have a morgage or rental agreement (living with parents still, until we decide what we are doing). Will the letter from my company be enough? Or if not has anyone any other ideas for what else to bring

thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone please explain? I understand the Ten-foot Pole that is not the question really, except if you marry on a 1-94w can you stay your 90days of get out back to your homeland as soon as wedding is over?.
Also all this about lying at POE????? how do they ever prove that situation if someone where to do so? ie someone enters, and states thay are on a Holiday which to an extent they are, do the POE log the whole conversation word for word? just curious.

We have decided after all our questions and being perfectly within our rights to marry here, as there was no intent, to go the K1 route thanks for everyones advice.
Susannna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.