Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

Wikiposts

Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

Old May 18th 2005, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Question Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

Can an alien travel wihin the US with a foreign passport if he/she is out of status? Will the airline crew and airport security only be interested in the page of the passport that has the identification information, or will they also ask for I-94? What are the chances of someone getting deported because of travelling domestically without legal status in the US?
Old May 18th 2005, 6:56 am
Guest21

Default Re: Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

Originally Posted by AGUILA
Can an alien travel wihin the US with a foreign passport if he/she is out of status? Will the airline crew and airport security only be interested in the page of the passport that has the identification information, or will they also ask for I-94? What are the chances of someone getting deported because of travelling domestically without legal status in the US?
The Airline will only ask for id but what if you get pulled over random search or the Cops pull you for anything then you will have problems.
Personally I would not risk it.
Not my business but get back in status ASAP.
I would tell the person that advice.
Whiskers

Old May 18th 2005, 7:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to use a passport to travel domestically. Save yourself the bother and use your driver's license.
Old May 18th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't need to use a passport to travel domestically. Save yourself the bother and use your driver's license.
She doesn't have a driver's license. She only has her Brazilian passport. Her I-94 expired a month ago.
Old May 18th 2005, 7:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't have a driver's license. She only has her Brazilian passport. Her I-94 expired a month ago.
Tried a coach?
Wouldn't risk flight...
Old May 18th 2005, 7:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aguila,

If she doesn't have any photo ID, and she's out of status, I personally wouldn't risk flying until her status is back in order. But even driving, you can get stopped randomly and checked....just be careful traveling, period.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 18th 2005, 7:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

But weren't we told on another thread yesterday that we 'aliens' are supposed to carry our PPs and I-94s at ALL times?

However, not knowing this until yesterday, I happily travelled throughout the US for the past 4 years with just my driver's licence...
Old May 18th 2005, 8:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
But weren't we told on another thread yesterday that we 'aliens' are supposed to carry our PPs and I-94s at ALL times?

However, not knowing this until yesterday, I happily travelled throughout the US for the past 4 years with just my driver's licence...

I never said you had to travel with your pp and I-94. My husband always carried his green card with him and before the gc he carried his EAD which is also proof of his legal status. A visitor to the US is suppose to have their pp on their persons at all time. At least that is the way I was told.
Old May 18th 2005, 8:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I never said you had to travel with your pp and I-94. My husband always carried his green card with him and before the gc he carried his EAD which is also proof of his legal status. A visitor to the US is suppose to have their pp on their persons at all time. At least that is the way I was told.
I didn't say it was you, Rete. I think it was Mr. F...
Old May 18th 2005, 8:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I didn't say it was you, Rete. I think it was Mr. F...
Yep, he said perhaps aliens should start carrying the I-94 on them (if they haven't gotten the green card yet). Someone asked, what if the I-94 is expired...but there was no answer for that one....yet....

Rene
Old May 18th 2005, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep, he said perhaps aliens should start carrying the I-94 on them (if they haven't gotten the green card yet). Someone asked, what if the I-94 is expired...but there was no answer for that one....yet....

Rene
Usually a state id or driver's license would be enough for domestic travel.
Old May 18th 2005, 1:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USimmigrant
Usually a state id or driver's license would be enough for domestic travel.
yeah, but if pulled over at customs and asked for more info....could be well stuffed....just not worth the risk is it..
Old May 18th 2005, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but if pulled over at customs and asked for more info....could be well stuffed....just not worth the risk is it..
You do not go through Customs, only when entering the Country.
Old May 18th 2005, 1:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
You do not go through Customs, only when entering the Country.
Just takes one idle git at the airport though to cause a world of trouble...
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:38 am
Just Joined

SteveUKNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Traveling Domestically with expired I-94 (out of status)

I've flown about 10 times since my I-94 expired - I wasn't questioned once about it.

I always checked in online so I had my boarding pass with me when I arrived at the airport - this bypassed check-in clerks- if I had baggage, my companion checked it in on their ticket. After that you only have to go through security checkpoints and these security staff are only interested about what you are taking on board the aircraft and if the name on your boarding pass matches the name on your ID.

You'll be nervous travelling but you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.