Traveling between London and the US after receiving I-130 Approval

Wikiposts

Traveling between London and the US after receiving I-130 Approval

Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:27 am
Just Joined

unconventional is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling between London and the US after receiving I-130 Approval

Hi guys,

So my husband (UK citizen) has passed his interview and been approved for his I-130 application, now having received his final brown envelope that he has to present at border control to show that he has the right to his green card.

However our move to the states has been delayed. We are going to see my parents for a week in December anyway. We probably won't make the move to the states until Jan/Feb.

Should he present his envelope at border control even though he is not intending to reside in the US (yet) and will be returning to London in a week? Or should he go in on a tourist visa?

Just want to make sure we don't mess anything up. Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling between London and the US after receiving I-130 Approval

Originally Posted by unconventional
So my husband (UK citizen) has passed his interview and been approved for his I-130 application...
The I-130 was just a petition to establish the marriage with USCIS. He was actually approved for his Immigrant Visa at his interview in London.

However our move to the states has been delayed. We are going to see my parents for a week in December anyway. We probably won't make the move to the states until Jan/Feb.

Should he present his envelope at border control even though he is not intending to reside in the US (yet) and will be returning to London in a week? Or should he go in on a tourist visa?
When he gets to the POE, the officer will see the immigrant visa in his passport. It will be up to the POE officer how to admit him, but be prepared to be told that he MUST activate his PR status on THIS trip to the USA. If that happens, he will get an I-551 stamp in his passport which will be proof of his PR status for 1 year, until his plastic green card arrives in the mail. It will be OK to return to the UK for a few months to finish tying up loose ends for your move in Jan/Feb. Just be aware of any tax implications if you will be selling property after he becomes a PR. Also make sure you have a stable US mailing address to give the POE agent, so his green card and SS card can arrive safely while he's back in the UK.

He can ask to be admitted as a visitor, but I'm just saying to be prepared either way. It will be up to the POE agent which way to go. Your husband should bring the brown envelope with him on this trip, in case they won't let him enter as a visitor.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Perfect, thanks Noorah.

One other questions - my husband was told he has to activate his PR within a certain amount of time and he can't remember if it was 90 days or 180?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect, thanks Noorah.

One other questions - my husband was told he has to activate his PR within a certain amount of time and he can't remember if it was 90 days or 180?
He must use the Immigrant Visa by the expiration date on the visa. Usually this is 6 months, but could be less...double check the visa.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Yes - 6months - phew! Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect, thanks Noorah.

The visa sticker in his passport has an expiration date on it.. check there. They are usually valid for 6 months from issue.

It's important for you to know that your husband becomes a PR when he is admitted with that visa, with all the responsibilities that go with it. You can check online for the article Now That You Are a Permanent Resident for details.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:08 am
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Hi guys,

So my husband (UK citizen) has passed his interview and been approved for his I-130 application, now having received his final brown envelope that he has to present at border control to show that he has the right to his green card.

Just want to make sure we don't mess anything up. Thanks!
Hi,

I was also worried about 'activating' the visa before I was ready for the big move, as I was approved only a week before I was going for a pre-arranged visit.

However, all was fine, they processed me at Atlanta and didn't question me about whether or not I was now 'staying for good'. They just gave me a "Welcome to America!".

However, upon the advice of the embassy official who approved me, I was prepared to explain that YES I am here to live and stay NOT just visiting.

It was a relief to get it done also.

best of luck
Merz