Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel to Puerto Rico ok for K-1?

Wikiposts

Travel to Puerto Rico ok for K-1?

Old May 11th 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel to Puerto Rico ok for K-1?

Hi all!

Well, my *husband* finally made it into the US and we were able to get married on May 1. I'll spare all the mushy details of how beautiful the wedding was and just jump into my question:

We are interested in taking a belated honeymoon trip to Puerto Rico. I understand that he isn't allowed to leave the country during the process of the K-1 and applying for residency, but is Puerto Rico technically considered leaving the US? I know you don't have to have a passport to go.

Just curious if anyone knows. Again, thanks for all the help. We couldn't have done this without some of the friendly people on here helping us out.

Old May 11th 2010, 5:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to Puerto Rico ok for K-1?

J,

Nothing "technical" about it - Puerto Rico is a part of the USA. But not a state.

Just don't let bad weather or equipment failure land you and your husband somewhere else in the eastern Caribbean that's not a part of the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jade84
Hi all!

Well, my *husband* finally made it into the US and we were able to get married on May 1. I'll spare all the mushy details of how beautiful the wedding was and just jump into my question:

We are interested in taking a belated honeymoon trip to Puerto Rico. I understand that he isn't allowed to leave the country during the process of the K-1 and applying for residency, but is Puerto Rico technically considered leaving the US? I know you don't have to have a passport to go.

Just curious if anyone knows. Again, thanks for all the help. We couldn't have done this without some of the friendly people on here helping us out.

Old May 11th 2010, 5:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Have you applied for AOS yet? Part of the AOS package is Form I-131 for Advance Parole (AP) which allows him to travel abroad (outside the USA) and return to the USA without abandoning his AOS process.

Puerto Rico is the USA, so no problem going there without AP, if he doesn't have it yet, as long as the flight never lands outside the USA.

If the flight lands outside the USA for any emergency purposes, and he does not have AP in hand, he will have to wait outside the USA until he can obtain an Immigrant Visa to return. That would not be good.

Rene
Old May 13th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Have you applied for AOS yet? Part of the AOS package is Form I-131 for Advance Parole (AP) which allows him to travel abroad (outside the USA) and return to the USA without abandoning his AOS process.

Puerto Rico is the USA, so no problem going there without AP, if he doesn't have it yet, as long as the flight never lands outside the USA.

If the flight lands outside the USA for any emergency purposes, and he does not have AP in hand, he will have to wait outside the USA until he can obtain an Immigrant Visa to return. That would not be good.

Rene
Has this ever actually happened to someone?? Curious.....
Old May 13th 2010, 1:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Has this ever actually happened to someone?
It happens. I remember reading a story about a young couple that got married in Niagara Falls, NY. That afternoon they walked across the Peace Bridge to Niagara Falls, Ontario for a celebratory steak dinner... and when crossing back, CBP refused to allow the spouse entry to the US because she did not have a valid visa. I can't remember exactly how long it took to sort that out... but it was many, many weeks.

Not too much of a stretch to envision this happening on an otherwise "routine" flight.

Ian
Old May 14th 2010, 6:19 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't find Puerto Rico much different than Florida! Might as well go there!
Old May 14th 2010, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I didn't find Puerto Rico much different than Florida! Might as well go there!
The food is WAY better in PR!
Old May 15th 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info, everyone! really appreciate it.
Old May 15th 2010, 3:44 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather go to Florida! There are some great restaurants there as well! I go there every year. I also would not risk the flight. Even though Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the USA what would happen if there was a storm and you had to land in say the Bahamas instead? There are plenty of nice places to visit without the risk.
Old May 15th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

I think you can apply for advance parole for free if its done at the same time as the adjustment of status, is that correct? wouldn't hurt to have it just in case something happened and we needed to head back to the uk for a visit.

I also think I'll take your advice and plan on staying stateside for a while until he's free to roam where he pleases.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can apply for advance parole for free if its done at the same time as the adjustment of status, is that correct? wouldn't hurt to have it just in case something happened and we needed to head back to the uk for a visit.

I also think I'll take your advice and plan on staying stateside for a while until he's free to roam where he pleases.
That is all correct. And a wise choice.

Rene