View Poll Results: How long did it take to receive your travel permit after applying?
0-2 months
0%
2-4 months
0%
4-6 months
0%
Over 6 months
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Travel Permit

Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

NickRoss91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Permit

Hi everyone,

So I filed my green card documents on July 13th and am still waiting for my travel permit. I live in USA and I was really hoping it would have arrived by now as I want to go back to UK for Christmas. My working visa has expired and I’m currently here on a WB (I think?) visa waiver while the process goes on.
Can anyone share their experiences of how long it took to get your travel permit once it was accepted and processed? I called USCIS today and they said they are working on cases from July 9th so I’m almost there.
Can’t believe how long this has taken because initially everything was so fast and I got my fingerprints taken back in September!

Cheers
Nick
Old Dec 13th 2021, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel Permit

VWP is 90 days so that must have expired a long time ago

I know 2 people who got them recently and both were around 8 months YMMV
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
VWP is 90 days so that must have expired a long time ago

I know 2 people who got them recently and both were around 8 months YMMV
Sorry, I just realised I missed out a big part! So I had a working visa (P1) up until November 30th and now I am on a visitors waiver
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Well I am even more confused I can not think of anyway you could transfer to the VWP
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well I am even more confused I can not think of anyway you could transfer to the VWP
Yeah so I had to leave the country last week to Mexico and when I came back across the border, they gave me a visitor’s waiver (after a lot of questioning). The guy said it won’t affect my green card case but who knows. At the moment I am waiting for my case to be processed.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

You abandoned your AOS when you left without AP so you need to file to adjust again
Old Dec 14th 2021, 1:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickRoss91
Yeah so I had to leave the country last week to Mexico and when I came back across the border, they gave me a visitor’s waiver (after a lot of questioning). The guy said it won’t affect my green card case but who knows. At the moment I am waiting for my case to be processed.
Are you adjusting status via marriage to a USC? I assume so, since your work visa expired? And you've posted your question in the marriage based forum.

If you left the USA after having filed AOS but before getting AP in hand, and your work visa has also expired, then you abandoned your AOS process.

Consult with an immigration lawyer, pronto!

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you adjusting status via marriage to a USC? I assume so, since your work visa expired? And you've posted your question in the marriage based forum.

If you left the USA after having filed AOS but before getting AP in hand, and your work visa has also expired, then you abandoned your AOS process.

Consult with an immigration lawyer, pronto!

Rene
As a retired immigration lawyer and having done time in the US Army, I think that the acronym of FUBAR is apropos.

Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The guy said it won’t affect my green card case but who knows.
To be clear, did you marry and file AOS before you went to Mexico or after? Who advised you to make a trip to Mexico? (The language you used implies that the AOS was pending when you left) The problem here as that if you filed before you went, you would have still been in status while the AOS was being adjudicated - but leaving invalidated it.

If you filed for AOS after you were admitted on the WB then one questions if you actually had immigrant intent at that time.

Either way you might be in for some questioning.

I think that the acronym of FUBAR is apropos.
Indeed. I would consult with an experienced immigration attorney right now if you have not already - as Mr P has described it before, janitorial work might be in order here.