Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To travel or not to travel: pending decision on adjustment to status

Wikiposts

To travel or not to travel: pending decision on adjustment to status

Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To travel or not to travel: pending decision on adjustment to status

Originally Posted by Jerni
I'm guessing your AOS was from a K-1 then?
It was K-1, yes

Originally Posted by KingTei
Thanks a lot Shezi59! May I ask what the secondary inspection entail? And what visa type did you possess before obtaining your Green Card? I entered on a B-2 although I was already married to a USC at the time of entry (and still am).
Experience in secondary inspection seems to depend very much on POE. I had read quite a lot of posts here before taking the trip and quite a few people had experienced a long delay in secondary - so I factored that in. If you miss a connecting flight, it is your own responsibility. As it happened, I wasn't in there long (through Washington Dulles) and there was only one other person in there. The biggest hassle I had was at the first inspection. Paper I-94 forms had been phased out since I immigrated in Oct 2012 and so there were none onboard the aircraft. The crew insisted I wouldn't need one. The greeter in the airport didn't know if I needed one but didn't have any. She asked the immigration officer at one of the desks who confirmed that passengers travelling AP still needed to complete I-94. So I waited about 20 minutes while someone found one - by which time something like 3 additional flights had landed and the immigration hall was at capacity

All things to think about when booking connecting flight travel.

Last edited by Shezi59; Mar 13th 2014 at 2:33 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

KingTei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To travel or not to travel: pending decision on adjustment to status

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In your first post, you indicated you entered on the VWP - and now you say you entered on a B-2 visa. Which one is true? If you entered on a B-2, you have options if your adjustment is denied for any reason; if you entered on the VWP, you have no options.

Ian
Thanks Ian, VWP is certainly not the same as B-2; I entered on a VWP.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shezi59
It was K-1, yes

Experience in secondary inspection seems to depend very much on POE. I had read quite a lot of posts here before taking the trip and quite a few people had experienced a long delay in secondary - so I factored that in. If you miss a connecting flight, it is your own responsibility. As it happened, I wasn't in there long (through Washington Dulles) and there was only one other person in there. The biggest hassle I had was at the first inspection. Paper I-94 forms had been phased out since I immigrated in Oct 2012 and so there were none onboard the aircraft. The crew insisted I wouldn't need one. The greeter in the airport didn't know if I needed one but didn't have any. She asked the immigration officer at one of the desks who confirmed that passengers travelling AP still needed to complete I-94. So I waited about 20 minutes while someone found one - by which time something like 3 additional flights had landed and the immigration hall was at capacity

Many thanks Shezi59, really good to know!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The effect of travel and return on advance parole is a sophisticated issue in light of fairly recent case law. It may or may not actually be to the advantage when the last pre-AOS filing was on the visa waiver.

A big fat grey area of law IMHO.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The effect of travel and return on advance parole is a sophisticated issue in light of fairly recent case law. It may or may not actually be to the advantage when the last pre-AOS filing was on the visa waiver.

A big fat grey area of law IMHO.
Many thanks, S Folinsky!
Old Mar 28th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shezi59
It was K-1, yes

Guess what Shezi59? I got my green card interview appt date end of April. You were absolutely right the info they put on the website. I'm glad I took your advice by not applying for the parole.

So how long did it take for you to receive the green card after your interview though? I want to travel end of May.

Best regards.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I got my green card interview appt date end of April. ... I want to travel end of May.
All else being equal and assuming no issues with your interview, you'll probably have your green card in hand within a couple of weeks after your interview. Most people get their cards in a timely manner... some don't.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2014, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All else being equal and assuming no issues with your interview, you'll probably have your green card in hand within a couple of weeks after your interview. Most people get their cards in a timely manner... some don't.

Ian
many thanks ian-mstm
Old Mar 29th 2014, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess what Shezi59? I got my green card interview appt date end of April. You were absolutely right the info they put on the website. I'm glad I took your advice by not applying for the parole.

So how long did it take for you to receive the green card after your interview though? I want to travel end of May.

Best regards.
That's great news! I didn't have an interview but the production of a card following a decision has been pretty fast, in my experience. I received EAD / AP doc and green card exactly 7 days each from the decision date. So I think you can be optimistic

Really glad to hear that things are moving for you!
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

7 days for me too. They've got the card production process really fine-tuned.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerni
7 days for me too. They've got the card production process really fine-tuned.
Thanks Jerni