Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel after visa waiver marriage..advice please

Wikiposts

Travel after visa waiver marriage..advice please

Old Jun 21st 2003, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all
Default Have we got it right at last?

Well, we have been gradually absorbing all the information so freely offered by you and all the others, and though you will realise that nothing is definite yet and at the moment we would be reluctant to go the VW route, we have constructed the following scenario and would appreciate your comments on whether we have got the details right. If we have, it will be reassuring that we have started to master the complex minds of the BCIS rule makers!

Martin enters on VW intending to enjoy a 2 week visit to the Outer Banks.
Circumstances make him change his mind and he and Carolyn get married.
2 days later they travel to NY and C gets a UK entry visa (FLR?) from the UK Consulate.
A few days later they both travel to the UK and stay in M's apartment.
A few days later C files an I-130 in person at the US Consulate in London for M. (Does it have to be in person or can it be mailed?)
A few days later C flies back to NC to continue caring for her Mom, and earn money!
M stays in UK until the I-130 interview, gets CR-1 and moves to NC for good.
And while he is waiting for the interview, both M and C are free to travel back and forth without AP or a further visa.

Have we got the processes right?
Thanks again
Martin.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:07 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have we got it right at last?

Originally posted by Haldaman
Well, we have been gradually absorbing all the information so freely offered by you and all the others, and though you will realise that nothing is definite yet and at the moment we would be reluctant to go the VW route, we have constructed the following scenario and would appreciate your comments on whether we have got the details right. If we have, it will be reassuring that we have started to master the complex minds of the BCIS rule makers!

2 days later they travel to NY and C gets a UK entry visa (FLR?) from the UK Consulate.
A few days later C files an I-130 in person at the US Consulate in London for M. (Does it have to be in person or can it be mailed?)
A few days later C flies back to NC to continue caring for her Mom, and earn money!
And while he is waiting for the interview, both M and C are free to travel back and forth without AP or a further visa.

Thanks again
Martin.
If your returning to the UK the rouse about marrying on the spur of the moment is redundant - you are quite welcome to marry in the US on a VW if you intend to leave afterwards. This will allow you do to it right and plan it and invite as many people as you like.

The rest is good and is exactly what a lot of people on the NG have done, if you box clever and have everything ready (order your police cert before the marriage) you can do it in about 2 months!

Good Luck and God Bless

Patrick
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:09 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Thanks again
Martin.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Btw there's nothing illegal about coming to the US with the intent of getting married to your GF if you do not intend to stay at that time. It's not the act of getting married which is illegal but the pre-concieved immigrant intent. As far as I am aware your proposed hypothetical plan would be entirely kosher.

I still wouldn't declare your plans at POE unles asked just in case they didn't believe you but you wouldn't be doing anything wrong that I can see. May not be a bad idea to get all the forms for the Entry Clearance and carry them with you just in case you were asked if you are planning to marry and then had to explain what your plans were.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:04 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

[i]A few days later C files an I-130 in person at the US Consulate in London for M. (Does it have to be in person or can it be mailed?)

Thanks again
Martin.
It has to be mailed!

Patrick
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:07 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Thanks again
Martin.
What interview? Unless they interview you for removal of conditions you'd be all done!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:10 am
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by lairdside
What interview? Unless they interview you for removal of conditions you'd be all done!
The interview (and medical) the London Embassy, the day he will get his I-130 visa and thus be allowed into the US as a resident. Are we not paying attention this morning!

Patrick

actually rereading it, it would of made more sense with a coma between the last two sentences but I still understood he meant while he was waiting for the interview in London he can travel!

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 22nd 2003 at 3:13 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 3:44 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by Patrick
The interview (and medical) the London Embassy, the day he will get his I-130 visa and thus be allowed into the US as a resident. Are we not paying attention this morning!

Patrick

actually rereading it, it would of made more sense with a coma between the last two sentences but I still understood he meant while he was waiting for the interview in London he can travel!
I am - look at the proposed timeline....

"A few days later C flies back to NC to continue caring for her Mom, and earn money!
And while he is waiting for the interview, both M and C are free to travel back and forth without AP or a further visa."

He mentions travelling back and forth without AP whilst waiting for interview after entering the US with a CR-1 and adjusting at POE - sounds as if he expects an AOS interview

If he was talking about waiting for the Consular interview why would he mention AP?

I dunno , perhaps I am asleep
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Sounds pretty good!
Reasons for changing mind after entry on VW....86 year old Mom says " get yourself respectable before I turn my toes up!".....Elvis the dawg wants to meet Rosie the 3 legged cat.....first grandchild needs a babysitter.....C reveals she is pregnant(WHAT???)...picket fence needs painting...Stray Kat needs a friend...and the rest!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:42 am
Howling at the Moon

Sounds pretty good!
Reasons for changing mind after entry on VW....86 year old Mom says " get yourself respectable before I turn my toes up!".....Elvis the dawg wants to meet Rosie the 3 legged cat.....first grandchild needs a babysitter.....C reveals she is pregnant(WHAT???)...picket fence needs painting...Stray Kat needs a friend...and the rest!!!
You don't need one.

GETTING MARRIED IS NOT ILLEGAL IN ITSELF

As long as you don't stay you are fine.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I am - look at the proposed timeline....

"A few days later C flies back to NC to continue caring for her Mom, and earn money!
And while he is waiting for the interview, both M and C are free to travel back and forth without AP or a further visa."

He mentions travelling back and forth without AP whilst waiting for interview after entering the US with a CR-1 and adjusting at POE - sounds as if he expects an AOS interview

If he was talking about waiting for the Consular interview why would he mention AP?

I dunno , perhaps I am asleep
Good Morning, lairdside!

There's 2 'interviews' for DCF; one to submit the -130 and one for the Immigrant Visa. Since the I-130 is mailed in London, the first 'interview' doesn't seem to take place.

I read his post as stating (in the last paragraph) that he can travel freely between the I-130 submittal and his IV interview.

Haldaman, looks like you've got the process figured. My last advice: make sure you have every scrap of paper ready before you begine as that will make things go smoothly.

Everyone: can anyone (DCF London) comment on the length of time (ie: is it an issue) between entering the UK with FLR (or whatever the marriage-based entry permit is called) and filing the I-130? Has the Consulate ever raised an eyebrow for filing too soon?
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:56 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by meauxna
Good Morning, lairdside!

There's 2 'interviews' for DCF; one to submit the -130 and one for the Immigrant Visa. Since the I-130 is mailed in London, the first 'interview' doesn't seem to take place.

I read his post as stating (in the last paragraph) that he can travel freely between the I-130 submittal and his IV interview.

Haldaman, looks like you've got the process figured. My last advice: make sure you have every scrap of paper ready before you begine as that will make things go smoothly.

Everyone: can anyone (DCF London) comment on the length of time (ie: is it an issue) between entering the UK with FLR (or whatever the marriage-based entry permit is called) and filing the I-130? Has the Consulate ever raised an eyebrow for filing too soon?
I guess the "further visa" comment confused my poor sleepy brain

It didn't equate why someone would need a further visa if they hadn't had one in the first place but someone could mean that they had applied for one *rubs eyes sleepily*.

What's the deal with ambiguous sentences in the morning anyway ? lol
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:58 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by meauxna
Good Morning, lairdside!

Yup, apply for the police report(s) now especially as they seem to take a while, often a month or more. The pluralism is because you will need two if you have ever lived in NI.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks meaowxna (?) and y'all (see? I have the jargon already!) I have all the certificates already, having initially only known about the KI, then I found you people!!
Sorry M, that was Rosie talking, must be teatime.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:15 am
Howling at the Moon

Thanks meaowxna (?) and y'all (see? I have the jargon already!) I have all the certificates already, having initially only known about the KI, then I found you people!!
Speaking of lingo, try this:

http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

Or, speaking o' lingo, try dis here
ya'll is mad stupid.

Best o' luck an' we's hope ta see ya soon in da US
you know das right!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just read the cat thread and can finally decipher this one! I wondered how I acquired all those extra vowels!

Best of luck to you and your family; I hope everything goes the way you dream.

PS: I actually *said* "y'all" to a group of people yesterday, and I'm about as far from The South as can be! It's good to be bi-lingual

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.