Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Transcripts or copies of tax returns

Wikiposts

Transcripts or copies of tax returns

Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:38 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transcripts or copies of tax returns

I have copies and transcripts of my tax returns to submit for my fiancees adjustment of status. My mom who is the joint sponser only has photocopies. Do you think it's better if we get her transcripts from the IRS? My attorney said either is fine but I was just wondering if it really makes a difference ?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transcripts or copies of tax returns

Go with the IRS Transcripts. For the K1 it might not make any difference but they might when your soon-to-be husband and mother-in-law file the I-864 for your AOS.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:48 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Go with the IRS Transcripts. For the K1 it might not make any difference but they might when your soon-to-be husband and mother-in-law file the I-864 for your AOS.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I'll have my mom order them.He's not coming over here untill October so we still have some time.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:05 am

Just wondering what others have sumitted recently? Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Just wondering what others have sumitted recently? Thanks
Why? Honestly, you make yourself crazy.

Tax transcripts, free from the IRS and available in about one week (or immediately by fax) are the preferred submission to USCIS and DOS.

Photocopies are supposed to be acceptable, and many people use them without comment, but since there is at least one current situation posted here where the case is being held until transcripts are produced, why not simply order the transcripts and save the concern?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why? Honestly, you make yourself crazy.

Tax transcripts, free from the IRS and available in about one week (or immediately by fax) are the preferred submission to USCIS and DOS.

Photocopies are supposed to be acceptable, and many people use them without comment, but since there is at least one current situation posted here where the case is being held until transcripts are produced, why not simply order the transcripts and save the concern?
I'm very good at making myself crazy! By the way I believe I have the tax return transcipt. Do I need the tax account transcript as well or instead? Thank you!

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I'm very good at making myself crazy! By the way I believe I have the tax return transcipt. Do I need the tax account transcript as well or instead? Thank you!

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
I only ever ordered tax return transcripts because I did not have any later adjustments after filing.

If you or mother had adjustments made to the return after filing.. get the account transcript in addition to the return transcript!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
I only ever ordered tax return transcripts because I did not have any later adjustments after filing.

If you or mother had adjustments made to the return after filing.. get the account transcript in addition to the return transcript!
Thanks, I didn't have any but I am not sure if she did. I just ordered some new sets for myself of both. Just want to make sure I have everything in order ! It seems like new requiremnts are being added all the time!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I faxed in an order on IRS form 4506-T and checked box 6a for Return Transcripts. I got 2005 and 2006 in about three days. I got another letter saying 2007 would not be available until November 2008. It's probably because my return was really long with lots of forms, including requesting a penalty waiver. So I imagine I'm in their pile of "check this one out later." So for the upcoming interview, they are getting 2 transcripts and one Turbo Tax copy, along with the letter saying my transcript is not available yet. I did read in an official memorandum that the new requirement is only the most recent year's return, not three. But who knows if the person at the Embassy got the memo.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

When filing for the I-864 for both the I-129 and subsequent I-485, I submitted transcripts from the IRS. First time, I ordered them by mail and received them in less than 2 weeks, this last time, I ordered them by phone and received them in less than a week.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:50 am

Thanks everyone!