Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

a tought question, please help.

Wikiposts

a tought question, please help.

Old Jun 14th 2002, 7:20 am
Constantine

Default a tought question, please help.

I was told that if the AOS approval happens after 2nd wedding anniversary - you get a
regular 10 year green card. Well, my interview is only days before our 2nd wedding
anniversary. Here is my question: if I am not approved on the day of interview
because some documents are missing and a continuance is issued, will the approval
date be dated back to the day of the interview? What can I do to not let that happen?
Can I explain the INS officer what the situation is? Would hiring a lawyer help? Any
thoughts and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Jun 14th 2002, 8:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: a tought question, please help.

You cannot do anything about it if you turn up for the interview and they decide
that's the approval date. If you really want to put the date off, reschedule the
interview.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "constantine"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I was told that if the AOS approval happens after 2nd wedding anniversary - you get
    > a regular 10 year green card. Well, my interview is only days before our 2nd
    > wedding anniversary. Here is my question: if I am not approved on the day of
    > interview because some documents are missing and a continuance is issued, will the
    > approval date be dated back to the day of the interview? What can I do to not let
    > that happen? Can I explain the INS officer what the situation is? Would hiring a
    > lawyer help? Any thoughts and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Constantine

Default Re: a tought question, please help.

> You cannot do anything about it if you turn up for the interview and they decide
    > that's the approval date. If you really want to put the date off, reschedule the
    > interview.
    >
    > Andy.

Andy, Thank you for your reply, but it sounds a bit too pessimistic for
me. Do you have any information to back up what you are saying? Eric, in my previous
post, was the only person I know about whose approval was dated back to the day
of the initial interview. And I believe that the only reason for it was the fact
that he turned his papers in before 2nd anniversary anyway, so the officer just
saved him a few days of wait. Just think, if I, for example, forgot letters of
employment and brought them in 2 weeks, and those letters were issued and dated
after my 2nd anniversary, how can the approval possibly predate those requested
documents? Andy, if you can find more info on this subject, please post it here,
or send it to my email address. And I promise, that I will post my entire
experience here and on kamya.com/aos