Reload this Page >

TN 'Management Consultant' Question

Wikiposts

TN 'Management Consultant' Question

Old May 8th 2002, 12:20 pm
James Caffrey

Default TN 'Management Consultant' Question

Hello,

I am wondering whether I could get some advice concerning the acquisition of a TN
Visa. I am a Canadian Citiaen and recent university graduate, with a philosophy B.A.
I have been asked by a non-profit organization in California to come and do a 3-month
summer job designing a university course. I have experience building courses (my
university allowed student teaching, and I designed one last year). The organization
that I will work for wants me to design a similar type of course for them (the
subject is not yet included in any university courses), and I am the only person
qualified (experientially) enough for the job.

INS gives me a different answer to what I should do each time I call...so far, the
best advice has been to use the TN Visa. At first, I was told that I would be a
"Research Assistant" - but it turns out that you have to be working in a
post-secondary institution - and INS have said that the non-profit organization I
hope to work for both will and will not count as a post-secondary school. How strict
are they on this requirement?

I was then told that I should try the "Management Consultant" route with the TN. The
appendix says that I need a degree *or* experience... I don't have official
experience in "Management Consultant", but I do have a university degree. Where it
asks for a degree, it is not specific what subject it must be. Is there a specific
"management consultant" degree one needs, or could I open my own consultancy business
as, say a self-employed 'Ethical Consultant', and then show the business license plus
my philosophy degree (as ethics is, obviously a branch of philosophy) (and the
organization has said they would hire me as a management consultant if needs be). If
this would work, would it matter if I got my business licence only a month before I
wish to begin the job in the US? Someone has said I need evidence of the work I have
done, but if I have only just graduated, is this possible and does it really matter?

Any suggestions as to what I ought to do would be most appreciated...I really want
this summer job!

Thank you in advance,

James

Old May 8th 2002, 12:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: TN 'Management Consultant' Question

James Caffrey wrote:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am wondering whether I could get some advice concerning the acquisition of a TN
    > Visa. I am a Canadian Citiaen and recent university graduate, with a philosophy
    > B.A. I have been asked by a non-profit organization in California to come and do a
    > 3-month summer job designing a university course. I have experience building
    > courses (my university allowed student teaching, and I designed one last year). The
    > organization that I will work for wants me to design a similar type of course for
    > them (the subject is not yet included in any university courses), and I am the only
    > person qualified (experientially) enough for the job.
    >
    > INS gives me a different answer to what I should do each time I call...so far, the
    > best advice has been to use the TN Visa. At first, I was told that I would be a
    > "Research Assistant" - but it turns out that you have to be working in a
    > post-secondary institution - and INS have said that the non-profit organization I
    > hope to work for both will and will not count as a post-secondary school. How
    > strict are they on this requirement?
    >
    > I was then told that I should try the "Management Consultant" route with the TN.
    > The appendix says that I need a degree *or* experience... I don't have official
    > experience in "Management Consultant", but I do have a university degree. Where it
    > asks for a degree, it is not specific what subject it must be. Is there a specific
    > "management consultant" degree one needs, or could I open my own consultancy
    > business as, say a self-employed 'Ethical Consultant', and then show the business
    > license plus my philosophy degree (as ethics is, obviously a branch of philosophy)
    > (and the organization has said they would hire me as a management consultant if
    > needs be). If this would work, would it matter if I got my business licence only a
    > month before I wish to begin the job in the US? Someone has said I need evidence of
    > the work I have done, but if I have only just graduated, is this possible and does
    > it really matter?
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what I ought to do would be most appreciated...I really want
    > this summer job!
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > James

This does not sound like the work of a management consultant. If you were teaching
existing management how to design the course, then you'd be OK as an MC.

See http://www.grasmick.com for lots of info on TNs.