Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Timeline from K1 to USC

Timeline from K1 to USC

Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:55 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default Timeline from K1 to USC

Don't know if this is the right forum but I thought it would be useful info for people still in the process of getting a visa/becoming a resident/naturalization

March 2003 Applied for K1 visa
April 2003 Application sent back because we messed it up! Resubmitted
March 2004 Visa approved at US embassy in London. Entered the US and got married
April 2004 Applied for AOS to permanent resident(I485) and work permit
July 2004 Work permit approved
June 2005 AOS application approved (conditional for two years because we had not been married for long)
March 2007 Applied for removal of conditions to permanent residency
June 2008 Application approved. Issued ten year green card
July 2009 Applied for Naturalization
December 2009 Naturalization interview. Approved.
Monday December 21st Oath ceremony

My field office was Chicago. Most of my applications went through Nebraska, although my application to remove conditions on residency was transferred to California. I think my naturalization application went to Missouri but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Lessons learned? KEEP ALL PAPERWORK AND MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!

Accept that is a long haul, be patient and good luck!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline from K1 to USC

Originally Posted by special ed
Don't know if this is the right forum but I thought it would be useful info for people still in the process of getting a visa/becoming a resident/naturalization

March 2003 Applied for K1 visa
April 2003 Application sent back because we messed it up! Resubmitted
March 2004 Visa approved at US embassy in London. Entered the US and got married
April 2004 Applied for AOS to permanent resident(I485) and work permit
July 2004 Work permit approved
June 2005 AOS application approved (conditional for two years because we had not been married for long)
March 2007 Applied for removal of conditions to permanent residency
June 2008 Application approved. Issued ten year green card
July 2009 Applied for Naturalization
December 2009 Naturalization interview. Approved.
Monday December 21st Oath ceremony

My field office was Chicago. Most of my applications went through Nebraska, although my application to remove conditions on residency was transferred to California. I think my naturalization application went to Missouri but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Lessons learned? KEEP ALL PAPERWORK AND MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!

Accept that is a long haul, be patient and good luck!
Congratulations! Just curious, why did you wait so long before applying for citizenship? You became a PR in June 2005, it seems you were eligible for citizenship within the 90 days just before June 2008.

Rene
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:01 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations! Just curious, why did you wait so long before applying for citizenship? You became a PR in June 2005, it seems you were eligible for citizenship within the 90 days just before June 2008.

Rene
We were in the middle of buying a new house and I needed to get my British passport renewed so I wanted to get all that straightened out. We had a lot of out stuff in storage for a few months because we sold our old place so fast we had to move in with the in-laws. One major life plan at a time I guess!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by special ed
We were in the middle of buying a new house and I needed to get my British passport renewed so I wanted to get all that straightened out. We had a lot of out stuff in storage for a few months because we sold our old place so fast we had to move in with the in-laws. One major life plan at a time I guess!
Ah, makes sense! Thanks!