Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is this timeline crazy? And proving "Re-establishment of Domicile"?

Is this timeline crazy? And proving "Re-establishment of Domicile"?

Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

thisdedwards is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this timeline crazy? And proving "Re-establishment of Domicile"?

Originally Posted by evandocarmo
Hi, David!

My wife and I are in a very similar situation and we are specially concerned about restablishing domicile since we want to be apart as little as possible.

Has your wife moved ahead of you to restablish domicile or has she gone and come back to wait on the visa with you in England?

Cheers,
Evan
Hi Evan,

Evan reached out to me through a PM to which I responded already, but for anyone interested here's my thoughts on this.

For reference, my wife was at the airport, on the way to the US, when I had my interview. We put together a file of evidence which is listed above in this thread as well:

1) It doesn't seem to matter if your wife is present or not, or if she's already in the US. They didn't know my wife had left when they read the application, so the documentation alone was sufficient and is the only thing taken into account. So do whichever will make you happy. If my wife had been available she would have come with me, but as I said, it doesn't seem to help or hinder in any way.

2) I can't say what evidence worked and what didn't because they didn't tell me, so I would say it's better to provide too much than not enough. But I feel like, as others have advised above, the stuff that both confirms she (or the sponsor) are leaving the UK for good, and re-entering the USA for good, especially from a housing and financial perspective, is the most important.

3) Unless they ask (which I didn't see happen, nor have heard of happening), you don't get an opportunity to talk through the documentation with someone or explain it, it needs to stand up by itself (which again is why you should provide more than is needed when it comes to documentation).

But don't panic! Everyone is super friendly and nice and they are trying to help you out. Just make everything simple for them, give them as much information as you can, take any questions at face value, and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

David
Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this timeline crazy? And proving "Re-establishment of Domicile"?

Originally Posted by thisdedwards
Evan reached out to me through a PM to which I responded already, but for anyone interested here's my thoughts on this.
For future reference, you should not answer immigration-related questions via PM. Trust me - and I do not say this lightly - you do not want that responsibility.

Ian