Wikiposts

Time to travel

Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Amayasp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time to travel

Hi I'm curious about how much time do they give you, after approving an immigrant visa, to travel to the U.S.

I've heard some people say 6 months it's that true?

In other hand once you are in the U.S what's the maximum time you can stay outside of the U.S and don't get in trouble?
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to travel

The Immigrant visa should be valid for 6 months from the date of your medical exam.

Once you become a PR, time outside the USA should be temporary in nature. Your permanent home will be the USA. As for getting in trouble, I assume you mean losing your PR status. This is a very grey area and is based on each individual case. One day could do it, or a year. It all depends on your own circumstances.

Can you tell us why this concerns you? Do you think you'll need to spend a lot of time outside the USA once you become a PR? Why do you think this might be the case?

By what means are you getting your immigrant visa? Marriage to a USC? Other family? Work?

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amayasp
I've heard some people say 6 months it's that true?
Yes - 6 months from the date of the medical... not 6 months from the date of your interview. This is one reason you don't want to have the medical too soon - because it will limit the validity of the visa.

In other hand once you are in the U.S what's the maximum time you can stay outside of the U.S and don't get in trouble?
There is no specific maximum time... but we recommend that you should not stay outside the US for more than 6 months at once. If you stay outside the US too long, you risk losing your status as a US permanent resident.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind my last questions, I realize it's via marriage to a USC.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2015, 8:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be less than 6 months, and dependent on how old your medical exam is when the visa is approved.

Trips should be not more than 6 months or you may run into problems.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Amayasp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The Immigrant visa should be valid for 6 months from the date of your medical exam.

Once you become a PR, time outside the USA should be temporary in nature. Your permanent home will be the USA. As for getting in trouble, I assume you mean losing your PR status. This is a very grey area and is based on each individual case. One day could do it, or a year. It all depends on your own circumstances.

Can you tell us why this concerns you? Do you think you'll need to spend a lot of time outside the USA once you become a PR? Why do you think this might be the case?

By what means are you getting your immigrant visa? Marriage to a USC? Other family? Work?

Rene

I ask cuz I'll be having my interview in three weeks but I'm currently in college and the semester won't be over till beginning of September, that's my last semester.

And ask for the time outside of United States once I'm a PR because I'll need some time next year to finish a project to be able to graduate
Old Aug 30th 2015, 9:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amayasp
I'm currently in college and the semester won't be over till beginning of September, that's my last semester.
Well then, you'll have lots of time.

And ask for the time outside of United States once I'm a PR because I'll need some time next year to finish a project to be able to graduate
So long as you don't stay outside the US for more than 6 months, you likely won't have any problems.

Ian