Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Time to remove GC conditions

Time to remove GC conditions

Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to remove GC conditions

Your employer doesn't need to re-verify you if you previously presented them with a permanent resident card, even a 2 year one. From the I-9 guidance:

You should not reverify U.S. citizens and noncitizen nationals, or lawful permanent residents (including conditional residents) who presented a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
There are different versions of Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. Some Permanent Resident Cards may contain no expiration date, a 10-year expiration date, or a two-year expiration date. Cards that expire in 10 years or have no expiration date are issued to LPRs with no conditions on their status. All Permanent Resident Cards, whether they have an expiration date or no expiration date, are List A documents that should not be reverified.

Last edited by Olly_; Jan 31st 2018 at 11:38 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Your employer doesn't need to re-verify you if you previously presented them with a permanent resident card, even a 2 year one. From the I-9 guidance:
Am I alone in being astonished by that??

Wow, thank you for pointing that out.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it makes no sense to do anything else - a conditional PR could present an unrestricted SS card and a state drivers license and wouldn't need to be verified again either.

I'm sure virtually every conditional resident successfully removes conditions anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Am I alone in being astonished by that??

Wow, thank you for pointing that out.
I knew about it but as you noted, and we have experienced first hand, no employers do not know about USCIS law and unless you are willing to print out the law and give it to your employer and/or the HR department and fight about it with them, it is far easier to just give them a copy of the NOA.

Just as we tell people to have the legend on the social security card removed once you become a PR ... conditional or not. But that if you want to look deeply into doesn't mean that you don't need to show your proof of being able to work under the USCIS law. If your petition to removed conditions is denied and you are left with no right to live and work in the US, with a social security card without the legend and a driver's license, you can still work, as the employer takes the documents at face value. It is only now that the USCIS will contact SSO and advise them that you are no longer eligible to work. So in today's electronic world, you can be caught out. But up until recently, you could have lived and worked in the US and no one would be the wiser that you are doing so illegally. That is way after 1996 (I believe that was the year) they started putting the legend on the SS card.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 1st 2018 at 6:45 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The school district in Westchester, NY wanted a new green card from my husband and/or other proof that he was still authorized to work under INS when his green card expired as he awaited removal of conditional.

There is no reason why they would know that the status is continuing until the I-751 is adjudicated.
Wow. The employer sanctions/discrimination regime has been in place for over 30 years at this point. No way the school district would have been exposed to any sanction. That said, the discrimination provisions have never really been enforced. I have to wonder what the motivation was to require unnecessary re-certification of employment authorization. An expired permanent resident card is definitely not on the list.

Although it is a clear violation of law, I guess it is within the rubric of "no harm, no foul" to just produce the new authorization.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-9 is pretty clear that the employer cannot dictate which documents to see.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Although it is a clear violation of law, I guess it is within the rubric of "no harm, no foul" to just produce the new authorization.
That's how we saw it. It wasn't a problem and far easier than fighting it out with them. You pick your battles in life and hubby decided not to battle.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the replies, can I run a scenario by you guys...

2018: Apply to remove conditions, allowing me to work for 1 more year whilst they adjudicate.

2019: Adjudication not yet complete, I apply for citizenship. Here is the question, if i am still waiting on the removal of conditions decision, and the 1 year extension to work during this period expires, and I have already applied for citizenship... can I still work legally?

EDIT: I feel this is a good highlight of my naivety of the process, your help is invaluable on here..

Thank you,

H
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Thank you for all the replies, can I run a scenario by you guys...

2018: Apply to remove conditions, allowing me to work for 1 more year whilst they adjudicate.
No it is not that it allows you to work. You are allowed to work until your green card is rescinded or you give it up. It is only your physical proof that your green card status is still in effect.

2019: Adjudication not yet complete, I apply for citizenship. Here is the question, if i am still waiting on the removal of conditions decision, and the 1 year extension to work during this period expires, and I have already applied for citizenship... can I still work legally?
You are able to work until either one of the things I wrote above takes place. If you still want paper proof of your PR status, make an infopass appointment and get another I-551 stamp in your passport or ask for it at the biometrics for your naturalization.

EDIT: I feel this is a good highlight of my naivety of the process, your help is invaluable on here..

Thank you,

H
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to work legally the entire time you are a PR. It has nothing to do with extension letters or green cards. You remain a US PR until you either become a USC, you formally abandon your PR status, or an Immigration judge deems you are no longer a PR.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I learned yesterday that the Los Angeles Field Office confiscates the expired I-551 cards in order to have the passports endorsed with an extension stamp. It is claimed to be national policy.