time to go home??

Old Jan 10th 2003, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future
Default time to go home??

This goes against the grain of this forum I know, but here goes -

My partner and I have been living in Australia for nearly two years now, but we never intended to stay forever (hence are both temp residents).

The trouble is a couple of financial mistakes have put us both in the red to the extent that paying off our debts in Australia will take at least two years. :scared: On the other hand, it'd take around a third of that time if we went back to Britain..

Is this a good reason to pack up shop and run home? Or am I just giving up?

Originally we hoped to stay here another couple of years before heading to the UK, but I don't know how enjoyable the sunshine will be if we're constantly penny-pinching!!

And another question: what pitfalls should I look out for if we do go? i.e. freight costs, tax, government type stuff..

Soph
Old Jan 10th 2003, 1:28 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: time to go home??

Originally posted by sophiedb

My partner and I have been living in Australia for nearly two years now, but we never intended to stay forever (hence are both temp residents).

The trouble is a couple of financial mistakes have put us both in the red to the extent that paying off our debts in Australia will take at least two years. :scared: On the other hand, it'd take around a third of that time if we went back to Britain..

Originally we hoped to stay here another couple of years before heading to the UK, but I don't know how enjoyable the sunshine will be if we're constantly penny-pinching!!

And another question: what pitfalls should I look out for if we do go? i.e. freight costs, tax, government type stuff..

Soph
If you only ever intented to stay temporarily then its not really giving up is it? Why not get permanent residency and then go home for a period of time until the debts are clear and then you would have the option of returning? Or is that exercise going to be too expensive? I think the answer to this question is entirely personal - if you love it enough here you'll scrimp through and stay, if you dont love it enough then you'll go home. Nobody can make that decision except you.
Old Jan 10th 2003, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult one.

I am pro-Aus but recognise that, for many reasons, this place is not suitable for everybody. If you really intended to stay temporarily why not cut your losses and go back to the UK so not only are you living where you want to live but are also able to cut your losses and get back onto a sound(er) financial footing a.s.a.p.

The difficulty, I would imagine, is that the parlous state of your financial affairs may be affecting your judgement of Aus as a whole. If you were financially stable would you prefer Aus or the UK? If the former perhaps you should 'make a plan' with realistic goals along the way and see if you can get it right/'stick it out' realising that it will take longer. If not go home. Are you able to get citizenship as you've been here 2 years? if so get the paper go home, sort out your finances and you can always come back later.

If I had to make an instant decision I'd say, try and get some method of coming back in place in case you change your mind later and head home /to the U.S. or where you can make some money quickly. I was once in the same situation as you a while back and severe financial stress really affected everything else.

Good luck with whatever your decision

DPR
Old Jan 16th 2003, 3:34 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time to go home??

Originally posted by sophiedb

Soph
Do a runner even chasing people from one state to another is beyond most companies here , what the worst thing they can do make a court order to pay it back and getting hold of you in the UK is harder than most think .
The biggest hero's in Australia have been crooks , what ever you owe is peanuts compared tp HIH debts , lender beware those who give it should lose sleep not you sod them.

Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't consider returning to the UK as giving up, but rather as making the decision that is in your best interests. If you really want to go you should, otherwise you will always be hankering after what you don't have. However, would agree with DPR, and ask whether your financial situation is affecting the way you feel.

However, unlike PB I say don't run out on your debts. If you do go to the UK make arrangements to pay the bills. You never know what may happen in the future, you may return to Australia and you don't want it to come back and bite you sometime in the future.

Best of luck.