Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Tickets and Citations & N-400

Tickets and Citations & N-400

Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:21 am
Just Joined

busupshot83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tickets and Citations & N-400

I am currently filling out Section D of the N-400, entitled "Good Moral Character." I received a $114 speeding ticket back in 2005, and understand that I must disclose it in the N-400. However, I do not want to answer "Yes" to any questions in this section that may hurt my application. The following is a list of the questions in Section D that I am having trouble answering:

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?
Yes - I committed a speeding violation, but I was not arrested for it. I was, however, given a citation.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?
Yes - I have been cited for speeding.

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
Yes - I have been charged with speeding.

18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?
Yes - I paid my speeding citation, which is a conviction of my guilt.

Am I answering this questions correctly? If not, can someone please help me out here. Thank you.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tickets and Citations & N-400

Answering 'yes' does not hurt your application in this instance... Answering 'no' when you have committed a crime would.
This will be of no consequence whatsoever in the interview. You are answering all the questions correctly with the 'yes'.
Make sure that you have all the paperwork in relation to your case - that the fine has been paid.
And technically a 'citation' is an arrest, I believe.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busupshot83
15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?
Yes - I committed a speeding violation, but I was not arrested for it. I was, however, given a citation.
Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Speeding is neither a crime nor an offense... it is a moving violation.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?
Yes - I have been cited for speeding.
Correct.

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
Yes - I have been charged with speeding.
Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Speeding is neither a crime nor an offense... it is a moving violation.

18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?
Yes - I paid my speeding citation, which is a conviction of my guilt.

Am I answering this questions correctly?
Most of them are wrong... only one was correct.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Or simply

No
Yes
No
No
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Or simply
I'm not quite the minimalist that you are! I prefer to be... umm, thorough.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm not quite the minimalist that you are! I prefer to be... umm, thorough.

Ian
That adds confusion...
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That adds confusion...
That goes against one of Mr.F's rules....only answer the question asked, no additional info. LOL
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That goes against one of Mr.F's rules....only answer the question asked, no additional info. LOL
I prefer the "do as I say, not as I do" approach! I think if we were to "answer only the question asked" in this forum, well... it'd get dull pretty fast!

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:04 am
Just Joined

busupshot83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!

How do you define a "crime/offense" according to USCIS?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

A criminal offense is defined by its entry in that country's "Criminal Code". In the US, that'd be Title 18 of the US Code. Speeding, by itself, simply isn't a crime under this definition.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that before the use of '/' became popular this would have been written as 'crime or offense'.

Using either construction I don't believe that the question is limited to criminal offenses. The word 'crime' alone covers that, the '/offense' indicates that they are asking about non-criminal issues as well.

Regards, JEff

A criminal offense is defined by its entry in that country's "Criminal Code". In the US, that'd be Title 18 of the US Code. Speeding, by itself, simply isn't a crime under this definition.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The word 'crime' alone covers that, the '/offense' indicates that they are asking about non-criminal issues as well.
Regardless, speeding is neither a crime nor an offense... it remains a moving violation and so is exempt from "yes" on Q's #15, #17, and #18 in this context.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I,

I have to disagree with that, I think a traffic violation is an offense.

"traffic incident[s]" are discussed along with crimes in the section of the Guide to Naturalization dealing with Good Moral Character and Criminal Record. See page 25.

Regards, JEff

Regardless, speeding is neither a crime nor an offense... it remains a moving violation and so is exempt from "yes" on Q's #15, #17, and #18 in this context.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
"traffic incident[s]" are discussed along with crimes in the section of the Guide to Naturalization dealing with Good Moral Character and Criminal Record. See page 25.
It's a non sequitur. Proximity does not imply encompassment... and a speeding ticket, absent any other issue, is a simple moving violation.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 17th 2009 at 6:51 pm.