Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Things we're taking to our AOS interview....

Wikiposts

Things we're taking to our AOS interview....

Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:16 am
Just Joined

smoochas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things we're taking to our AOS interview....

Hey Kate,
I'm in the same "how to bind" dilemma! LOL! I've heard of others who used a bulldog clip and handed the whole thing over the minute they stepped into the room! Then Rete here is referring to an Ask-and-then-Provide method.

I think I will leave the bulldog top clip and have flag tabs running down the side to provide easy access if the sesson turns into an Ask-n-Provide event.

I have a seperate 3-ring binder with clear envelope with the originals (as do you) in case they need to see the originals.

Best of luck to you!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:17 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Simple, JEff ... it was both. She slide everything into the file and then asked for say the Affidavit and I directed her to tab C while showing her the original and telling her the USCIS copy is under Tab C.

Rete
So it's similar to what I was going to do in the beginning? Oo-eck!! How confusing!

Kate. xxxx
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:18 am

Originally posted by smoochas
Hey Kate,
I'm in the same "how to bind" dilemma! LOL! I've heard of others who used a bulldog clip and handed the whole thing over the minute they stepped into the room! Then Rete here is referring to an Ask-and-then-Provide method.

I think I will leave the bulldog top clip and have flag tabs running down the side to provide easy access if the sesson turns into an Ask-n-Provide event.

I have a seperate 3-ring binder with clear envelope with the originals (as do you) in case they need to see the originals.

Best of luck to you!
This is more confusing than filling the bloody forms out in the first place!! LOL!!

Kate. xxxxxxxx
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by smoochas
Hey Kate,

Best of luck to you!

LOL We did not do the ask and then provide method. We did the provide and show method ... now aren't you glad I can confuse you even more.

We gave her the entire file. She put it directly into the USCIS file on us. She then proceeded to ask us for a particular document. I went to my originals unbound binder, looked up the document on the checklist, pulled it from my unbound binder and said that a copy of that document is under Tab A, here is the original for you to look at. It went that way through all of the interview when a document was requested.

When the interview was finished and we went home, I then bound the documents to make up my own permanent binder of documents which was exactly as the one given to the USCIS only my binder had the originals.

In this way, when it came time for the I-751 removal of conditions, I had a copy of everything previously submitted to prove our marriage and the originals were all in one very safe place.

Rete
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:43 am

LOL We did not do the ask and then provide method. We did the provide and show method ... now aren't you glad I can confuse you even more.

We gave her the entire file. She put it directly into the USCIS file on us. She then proceeded to ask us for a particular document. I went to my originals unbound binder, looked up the document on the checklist, pulled it from my unbound binder and said that a copy of that document is under Tab A, here is the original for you to look at. It went that way through all of the interview when a document was requested.

When the interview was finished and we went home, I then bound the documents to make up my own permanent binder of documents which was exactly as the one given to the USCIS only my binder had the originals.

In this way, when it came time for the I-751 removal of conditions, I had a copy of everything previously submitted to prove our marriage and the originals were all in one very safe place.

Rete
THANK YOU RETE!!! That's how I had mine all laid out! Seemed the most logical way to do it, so the officer doesn't have papers strewn all over the desk. They can keep everything all in one place and just have a gander to make sure the copy is of the original! Also handy to have your own file laid out in the same order so when you remove conditions, it's already almost complete, just need to update all the changeable docs!

Kate. xxxxxx

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:02 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate!!!

I have nothing useful to add to this thread but ................ GOOD LUCK!!

Leslie
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:07 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hello again, peeps!

Here's what we have for our file:

EMPLOYER INFO:
My salary info

I am late again!!
Everything I was gonna say is already said!, Oh well I can wish you Good Luck again!!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Jun 21st 2004 at 9:15 am.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 12:23 pm
Brenda Ballard

congralutations, when did you file for the 485 and where.......
dont forget to take pictures

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:10 am

Originally posted by Brenda Ballard
congralutations, when did you file for the 485 and where.......
dont forget to take pictures
We filed at Miami on April 14th 2003.

Which pics are you referring to? If it's the adit ones, I'll be getting those tonight. If it's pics of us together, they're a VERY rare occurence! If I manage to catch Corey off-guard and point a camera at him, he puts something in front of his face! He's sooooo camera shy, we didn't even have pics taken when we got married. There were only 4 guests, and it was at his grandparents house, so it wasn't a problem. We have a couple of pics of us messing around with the dog in our home, and each one has either one of us in the background, so I'll take those and hope the officer isn't too fussed about them. Other than that, we have everything we could possibly think of.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:22 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything Kate and Corey I can't wait to hear how everything goes!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 7:47 am
mangoR

Kate also try to take extra immigration photographs for your
greencard. I am sure you submitted couple of them when you filed your
I-485, but in my case the officer was looking in my file and could not
find the photographs. Fortunately i have couple of extra photos, that
helped.

katesuiter1 <member6776@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Brenda Ballard
    > > congralutations,
    > when did you file for the 485 and where.......
    > > dont forget to take
    > pictures
    >
    > We filed at Miami on April 14th 2003.
    >
    > Which pics
    > are you referring to? If it's the adit ones, I'll be getting those
    > tonight. If it's pics of us together, they're a VERY rare occurence!
    > If I manage to catch Corey off-guard and point a camera at him, he puts
    > something in front of his face! He's sooooo camera shy, we didn't even
    > have pics taken when we got married. There were only 4 guests, and it
    > was at his grandparents house, so it wasn't a problem. We have a couple
    > of pics of us messing around with the dog in our home, and each one has
    > either one of us in the background, so I'll take those and hope the
    > officer isn't too fussed about them. Other than that, we have everything
    > we could possibly think of.
    >
    > Kate. xxxxx

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:04 am

Originally posted by mangoR
Kate also try to take extra immigration photographs for your
greencard. I am sure you submitted couple of them when you filed your
I-485, but in my case the officer was looking in my file and could not
find the photographs. Fortunately i have couple of extra photos, that
helped.
The old ones I submitted are hideous, so I'll pick up new ones tonight!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

The old ones I submitted are hideous, so I'll pick up new ones tonight!
Well Kate.. You had a huge marshmallow moustache.. what do you expect??

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:02 am
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Hello again, peeps!

Here's what we have for our file:

EMPLOYER INFO:
My salary info
Emergency contact info
Permanent address listed with employer
Employer health insurance confirmation for employee & spouse
My last 2 pay stubs
Joint I-864 (Corey's not working due to going back to school full-time, but my salary is enough to cover the requirements)

TAX INFO:
My tax transcripts for 2003
Corey's tax transcripts for the last 3 years
My W-2's
Corey's W-2's

ID's:
Birth certs for Corey and I
Copies of driver licenses
Copies of previously issued EAD's
Copy of K1 visa & I-94

EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP:
Marriage cert
Joint checking & savings bank statements
Utility bills
Joint auto insurance
Medical cards from my employer with both names on
Prior medical bill for me paid by Corey's previous health insurance
Wedding invitation addressed to both of us
Copies of airline tickets to wedding in Oklahoma
Gift wrapping from Easter and wedding anniversary gifts sent by mum in UK
Vacation postacard from brother addressed to both of us
Wedding anniversary and Christmas cards from mum
Two letters from family members attesting to relationship
Letter from landlord saying we rent an apartment together and have been since Jan 2003

Rete, I know you suggested getting a co-sponsor anyway, although I make enough on my own, but we wanted that to be a last resort. Corey's parents are always out-of-state trucking, and his grandparents are always so busy. If the officer decides that we need one, then I'll bite my tongue and we'll ask his family, but we didn't want to bother them unless we have to. I'm prepared to risk a bit of a wait for approval.

We made copies of everything and arranged them in the same order listed above, two-hole punched everything and put it all in a binder with tabs and a table of contents. We'll give that to the officer so they can reference everything easily and I'll have the originals on standby in another file. If anyone has any suggestions on the content or layout of our file, please let me know.

Kate. xxxx
Thanks for the post Kate and best of everything to you on your interview. I can't wait til John hears when his will be. I copied what you and Rete posted about what to bring so I can start getting our file together for that special day. Let us know how things go pllllllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeee
Cindy
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 9:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Gotcha.

My previous experience was a bit different from yours, in 2 respects. First, I had the copies to be submitted with the originals, segregated by item, so I couldn't have turned over a complete package.

But, conveniently in that situation, the first thing the interviewer did was go through the file and rearrange what was in it. As she did so she would ask for something when she couldn't find what she wanted next. Her approach was apparently different from the approach taken by Jim's interviewer.

Each individual interviewer is going to do things in their own style. The trick is to be prepared in such a way that, whatever the interviewer's style, the applicant can accomodate them efficiently.

Regards, JEff

Simple, JEff ... it was both. She slide everything into the file and then asked for say the Affidavit and I directed her to tab C while showing her the original and telling her the USCIS copy is under Tab C.

Rete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.