They cancelled my interview!!

Wikiposts

They cancelled my interview!!

Old May 5th 2006, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Katmeeow is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy They cancelled my interview!!

Hi everyone,

My Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status interview was set for May 17th and it's been cancelled! They emailed me, and I called to confirm. What does this mean? Do I have anything to worry about?

Kat
Old May 5th 2006, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: They cancelled my interview!!

Originally Posted by Katmeeow
Hi everyone,

My Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status interview was set for May 17th and it's been cancelled! They emailed me, and I called to confirm. What does this mean? Do I have anything to worry about?

Kat
Hi:

Word of warning. On the immigration attorney chat rooms, there have been instances reported of adjustment denied for failure to appear where the person and their attorney relied on the cancellation notice. Based upon this advice, I would go to already scheduled interview and see what happens.
Old May 5th 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Kat
Hi, I know how you feel. My N-400 interview was cancelled 6 days before I was to attend my interview on May 2nd. There was no concrete reason stated in the letter and I had no number to call to confirm but I had an idea why it was cancelled given the immigrant protests at that time.
They may have cancelled yours due to over booking of appts, someone taking holidays at this time, maternity leave, etc...the list goes on. I would not worry about it too much though. As many people have said on here, you will get your appt scheduled again eventually. I still have not received any word on when mine will be rescheduled but leave it to USCIS, my new appt will probably be during my booked holiday times or when I am leaving to go visit my family in Canada. My advice in your matter (and no choice in the matter I might add too).....keep on waiting and it will eventually come.(again)
Old May 5th 2006, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Word of warning. On the immigration attorney chat rooms, there have been instances reported of adjustment denied for failure to appear where the person and their attorney relied on the cancellation notice. Based upon this advice, I would go to already scheduled interview and see what happens.
Hi Mr. F,
Even though I received a letter of cancellation, are you saying that I should have gone to mine as well just to see what would have happened??
Old May 5th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Kat
We had the same thing, then we wrote a letter to the local office of USCIS, asking for explanation, and USCIS officer called us on our cellphone and told us that our AOS interview has NOT been cancelled, and that we need to come to our interview on the date indicated in our initial invitation-letter.
Try doing the same thing, dont rely on that letter.
good luck!
Old May 5th 2006, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Taterbug
Hi Mr. F,
Even though I received a letter of cancellation, are you saying that I should have gone to mine as well just to see what would have happened??
Hi:

Remember that you have no right to rely on what the government tells you; the Supreme Court has said so [Schweiker v Hansen].

I said that on immigration chat boards there has been screaming of where cases have been denied for failure to appear at scheduled interviews simply because of belief in a cancellation notice.

In light of the two above points, people should govern themeselves accordingly. The choice of what to do is up to them.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Remember that you have no right to rely on what the government tells you; the Supreme Court has said so [Schweiker v Hansen].
Love that line.

There must be plenty of material here for a sequel:

Catch 22 - US Immigration

But when you hear so many stories of USCIS losing your paperwork, perhaps this would be a good example to mislay theirs and see what happens.

Whats the worst that can happen?, you waste a few hours.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:39 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taterbug
Hi Mr. F,
Reliability isn't USCIS's strongest quality...
Old May 6th 2006, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi:

I said that on immigration chat boards there has been screaming of where cases have been denied for failure to appear at scheduled interviews simply because of belief in a cancellation notice.

In light of the two above points, people should govern themeselves accordingly. The choice of what to do is up to them.
Thanks for the info Mr. F.
Well now I guess I wait and see what happens now that my supposed appt date of May 2nd has come and gone. Not much else that I can do at this point, but I hate to think that I got screwed out of getting my citizenship.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Update:

So I went to the local office to double check, and they kindly informed me that our interview was NOT cancelled. Good thing I checked!! They don't know why I got a cancellation notice, I suppose it shall forever remain a mystery.

I'm all set for next week - wish us luck!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:42 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

So I went to the local office to double check, and they kindly informed me that our interview was NOT cancelled. Good thing I checked!! They don't know why I got a cancellation notice, I suppose it shall forever remain a mystery.

I'm all set for next week - wish us luck!
My first one was cancelled, because they scheduled it on a Saturday, I got a phone call from the local office the week before from a real person! Informing me they don't work on Saturdays and they would reschedule it.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
My first one was cancelled, because they scheduled it on a Saturday, I got a phone call from the local office the week before from a real person! Informing me they don't work on Saturdays and they would reschedule it.

Mine is still set for the original day, they looked at the notice I got and it totally baffled them!
Old May 10th 2006, 7:54 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

it totally baffled them!
It's a requirement for Employment with them
Old May 10th 2006, 8:04 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Reliability isn't USCIS's strongest quality...
Not true!! You can always rely on them to be unreliable.