Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is there a way for my Spanish boyfriend to enter the US?

Is there a way for my Spanish boyfriend to enter the US?

Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:02 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a way for my Spanish boyfriend to enter the US?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello there...long time, no see

As I understand it he can enter the US with the intent to marry...but he must then leave until his visa has been approved. To enter the US to marry, with the intent to stay is illegal and could get him deported and/or banned.

What! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Iโ€™m completely ignorant regarding immigration matters, as you can see.

Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best bet is to marry then file a I 130 and get a CR1 so he is a LPR on arrival, can work travel etc.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
What! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Iโ€™m completely ignorant regarding immigration matters, as you can see.
Tread carefully. Take on board the comments in this thread. There are only 2 ways for him to live in the US, unless he qualifies for a US visa in his own right. Trying to cut corners/by pass the system could have disastrous results.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:25 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Best bet is to marry then file a I 130 and get a CR1 so he is a LPR on arrival, can work travel etc.

Thank you.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Tread carefully. Take on board the comments in this thread. There are only 2 ways for him to live in the US, unless he qualifies for a US visa in his own right. Trying to cut corners/by pass the system could have disastrous results.
Iโ€™m finally understanding. I was under the impression that the best way was to get him here first, but it seems I was wrong. ๐Ÿ˜”
Old Sep 24th 2020, 3:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Iโ€™m finally understanding. I was under the impression that the best way was to get him here first, but it seems I was wrong. ๐Ÿ˜”
Unfortunately some lawyers give this advice. But if things go badly, the lawyer is not at risk, but you are. If AOS from VWP goes wrong, it could mean a permanent ban from the USA.

You will have to weigh that risk for yourself.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, but I will reiterate since you asked me the direct question:

The K1 is essentially the visa you want for what you intially proprosed, since it allows the holder to enter and get married and remain in the US. However it has drawbacks - like the immigrant potentially not being able to work or get a DL for a long time while the visa is processing. It will still take about a year before he could come to the US.

The other path is for him to enter the US, get married, and then return to Spain when his VWP is up. When he receives the visa he can enter the US and will be a Green Card holder from day 1. Yes this involves time apart while married, but many of us did this, including me. You will survive. He can visit, should he be otherwise eligible for VWP use, while the visa is processing.

There is no legal way for him to enter as a tourist, when his intention is to get married and then to adjust. As I already stated, the consequences can be a trifle bad if that goes wrong.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 11:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

It would helpful to posters if you were to answer questions or at least when giving your advice to give full disclosure on the advice. She's a novice and doesn't know the difference between green card and CR-1.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

He cannot enter to live in the US until such time as he has a visa in hand...... and for that he waits in his home country.