Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is there a recommended to assembling I-485, and I-130?

Wikiposts

Is there a recommended to assembling I-485, and I-130?

Old Apr 8th 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

trinikisses is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Is there a recommended way to assembling I-485, and I-130?

Hey everyone, I down to my finally steps before I mail out my documents, I would like to know if there is a correct or recommended way to assemble my AOS package?

1. Should my first form behind my cover letter be the I-130 or I-485?

2. What order should the I-485 and I-130 be in (example I-484, I-864, I-765, G-325A)

3. Should I place the supporting documents behind each form or all together behind all the forms? (Example I-485 and supporting materials, I-864 and supporting materials and so on)?

4. Should I attach all my checks to my cover letter or to their corresponding forms?

Any advice would be great you guys.
Thank you

Last edited by trinikisses; Apr 8th 2006 at 5:30 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a recommended way to assembling I-485, and I-130?

Originally Posted by trinikisses
Hey everyone, I down to my finally steps before I mail out my documents, I would like to know if there is a correct or recommended way to assemble my AOS package?

2. What order should the I-485 and I-130 be in (example I-484, I-864, I-765, G-325A)

3. Should I place the supporting documents behind each form or all together behind all the forms? (Example I-485 and supporting materials, I-864 and supporting materials and so on)?

4. Should I attach all my checks to my cover letter or to their corresponding forms?

Thank you

There are no hard and fast rules about assembling the package, but we put out stuff in the following order: cover letter - index page (listing the various petitions/forms) - 1st form (which in your case would be I-130 + supporting documents - I-485 + supporting documents, etc.

I think they like to have little tabs AT THE BOTTOM to label the various forms and documents.

We included just one check to cover everything, but I know some peole write separate checks and attach them to the covering letter.

HTH!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I-130 first you are basing all the remaining documents on that
All documentsthat are required of this petition and G-325A

I-485 is next and all the documents that are required for this petition's approval, i.e. G-325A, I-693, I-864

I-765 for employment as it is contingent upon the submission of the I-485

I-131 for travel as it is contingent upon the submission of the I-485

Treat each of the petitons as a single petition and attach everything that is required of it to the petition with a large bull nose paper clip. In this manner if the petitions are separated they will be separated with the proper supporing petitions/documents.

Thank you

Place the check with each petition, not with the cover letter. Don't forget the fee for the biometrics of the I-485.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Hi:

For what its worth, I simply use the old Los Angeles District Checklist/Coversheet -- which also computed the filing fees -- which are now out of date. I know that the Los Angeles District preferred it when submitting attorney applications in person. I can't say its perfect or preferred by the Lock-Box people -- but I sure find it helpful.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:39 am
Retire to Italy

hello having reseached thi smatter fully there is no "preferred"
method.

just go with a system that you are comfortable with as in the end that
is what counds.

Best of luck julia

Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retire to Italy
hello having reseached thi smatter fully there is no "preferred"
method.

just go with a system that you are comfortable with as in the end that
is what counds.

Best of luck julia
Hi Julia,

Could you please post the link(s) to the full research you did on this topic?

I personally don't believe what counts in the end is the OP's comfort level. What counts in the end is the information being organized to USCIS' satisfaction.

Thank you,
Rene
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:23 am
Annie Lea

You are all very wrong. It is clearly posted on the DHS website the
way they want packets assembled.

I-485 ALWAYS on TOP!!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...al/index.htm#H

Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:00 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Annie Lea
You are all very wrong. It is clearly posted on the DHS website the
way they want packets assembled.

I-485 ALWAYS on TOP!!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...al/index.htm#H
Hi,

I'm still confused about which form sits on top. The link does not really specify whether the I-130 ought to appear first or the I-485. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

Thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

I'm still confused about which form sits on top. The link does not really specify whether the I-130 ought to appear first or the I-485. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

Thanks.
I don't think it really matters. They will assemble the file in their own way.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Does anybody have a definitive answer?
There is no definitive answer... there has never been a definitive answer... and your search for one will get you nowhere.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:50 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no definitive answer... there has never been a definitive answer... and your search for one will get you nowhere.

Ian
Sounds like a definitive answer to me