Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Originally Posted by LBBenson
and if we moved to Texas, can my husband go with me and we file from there and stay or does he have to stay in the UK.
Answered above - he can't enter the US with the intention of staying and then apply, that's illegal. If you decide the US is the place to be, you'll need to his immigrant visa ('green card') sorted before you move.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

ahh I didn’t realize that, thank you. I am confused about the green card and possibly moving back to Texas process if we decide to do that . I guess I don’t know what all has to be done or where to start to find out prices and what all has to happen, and if we moved to Texas, can my husband go with me and we file from there and stay or does he have to stay in the UK. Is the green card the only thing he needs or are there other things to pay for.

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...ion_for_spouse

YOU as the US citizen would need to sponsor his for his green card. Based on what has been said above this could be done, maybe through the London Embassy (DCF) or you could be in the US.

Unlike the UK system if you did not meet the financial requirements then you could use a joint sponsor (family/friends) to help you.

As said the process takes about 12 to 18 months due to the various procedures that have to be done.

Until such time as hubby has to provide his passport he could visit you in Texas.

Noticed that you both have grown up children - as you are late 40's/early 50's (?) have you thought about the cost of health insurance coverage for you both?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 19th 2019 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

LBBenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Answered above - he can't enter the US with the intention of staying and then apply, that's illegal. If you decide the US is the place to be, you'll need to his immigrant visa ('green card') sorted before you move.
ahhh thank you sooo much
Old Jun 20th 2019, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...ion_for_spouse

YOU as the US citizen would need to sponsor his for his green card. Based on what has been said above this could be done, maybe through the London Embassy (DCF) or you could be in the US.

Unlike the UK system if you did not meet the financial requirements then you could use a joint sponsor (family/friends) to help you.

As said the process takes about 12 to 18 months due to the various procedures that have to be done.

Until such time as hubby has to provide his passport he could visit you in Texas.

Noticed that you both have grown up children - as you are late 40's/early 50's (?) have you thought about the cost of health insurance coverage for you both?
hi. Yeah we are both 55, yeah it’s a big thought on the healthcare. Is there a website that tells exactly all the requirements and information as to what I as the USC has to have for sponsorship, you know like the UK visa he had to provide so many months of wage slips showing he met the requirements to sponsor me. I know this is early stages of planning but I’d just like to have the info showing all that’s needed to help us think and make wise decisions.. thank you for your help, as with the Uk visa, it’s so complicated at first till you get it all spelled out , like a first grade paper 😐
Old Jun 20th 2019, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

hi. Yeah we are both 55, yeah it’s a big thought on the healthcare. Is there a website that tells exactly all the requirements and information as to what I as the USC has to have for sponsorship, you know like the UK visa he had to provide so many months of wage slips showing he met the requirements to sponsor me. I know this is early stages of planning but I’d just like to have the info showing all that’s needed to help us think and make wise decisions.. thank you for your help, as with the Uk visa, it’s so complicated at first till you get it all spelled out , like a first grade paper 😐
This is the place to browse: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/
Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
And for the information for sponsorship, go to www.uscis.org and you want form I-864 - Affidavit of Support.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
ok thank you so much
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

ok thank you so much
That link is handy to bookmark for future use. However, the USCIS website will give you all that is required for the affidavit of support (I-864). They also give the link to the poverty guidelines for the current year and is updated each calendar year. www.USCIS.gov

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Basically you need to have savings/assets of 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family your size times 3. Or if you have a job already in the US, then it 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family your size. Of course, there are the required documents to substantiate the claim.

If you require a Joint Sponsor (in addition to yourself) for your husband, the JS will need to show proof of income at 125% of the poverty guidelines PLUS your husband.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 20th 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rete
And for the information for sponsorship, go to www.uscis.org and you want form I-864 - Affidavit of Support.
Sorry it is www.uscis.gov
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to spend another five years in the UK before you can naturalise as a British citizen. I would either commit to that now or make plans to move to the US together in the very near future for the five years or so it’ll take your husband to naturalise as a US citizen otherwise you will just be wasting time and money.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You will have to spend another five years in the UK before you can naturalise as a British citizen. I would either commit to that now or make plans to move to the US together in the very near future for the five years or so it’ll take your husband to naturalise as a US citizen otherwise you will just be wasting time and money.
Remember too that Medicare needs 40 quarters of payroll taxes in order to qualify (around 10 years) With the OP and husband 55 now, the longer they leave returning to the US , they might find themselves working way past 65 in order to be able claim Medicare in their senior years.

(Unless of course the US wife already has all the quarters she needs and the hubby can piggy back off those)