Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

LBBenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas to England and back again .... maybe

Hi everyone, I’m from Texas who married a British citizen last October. I got here in Lancashire late March after getting my spouse visa. My question is , should we decide next year to move back to Texas , what’s the process ? Can we move back before he gets a green card or so we have to stay in England. Thank you in advance... we are just pondering with the idea right now.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas to England and back again .... maybe

If you are going to be a Ping-Pong couple, jumping from the UK to the US and then again to the UK, etc., it would behoove you to remain in the UK until you get your British Citizenship. And when finally in the US, your Brit should remain until he naturalizes.

As for your question, if next year you decide to reside in the US, it will take about 6 to 18 months before he gets a visa (IR-1) to enter and live in the US. The timeframe from the time of filing the I-130 will depend on whether the USCIS stops the process of filing directly in the UK for the visa. That method averages 6 months. If that is rescinded, then you must file stateside and that will take from 12 to 18 months.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
If you are going to be a Ping-Pong couple, jumping from the UK to the US and then again to the UK, etc., it would behoove you to remain in the UK until you get your British Citizenship. And when finally in the US, your Brit should remain until he naturalizes.

As for your question, if next year you decide to reside in the US, it will take about 6 to 18 months before he gets a visa (IR-1) to enter and live in the US. The timeframe from the time of filing the I-130 will depend on whether the USCIS stops the process of filing directly in the UK for the visa. That method averages 6 months. If that is rescinded, then you must file stateside and that will take from 12 to 18 months.
hi. Thank you for your help and information..If for some reason it’s rescinded, and it takes the 12 to 18 months, does this mean we can file from the states and he be with me or does he have to remain in the UK, sorry if I’m a bit confused, it appears so different than when I filed for my visa .. and yes, it may be best to stay in the Uk and just make visits to visit family, there’s so much to think in and consider
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa was for the UK. You are now dealing with the USCIS. Two different countries, as you know, with two different immigration systems.

Your husband needs a visa before he can enter the US to live and work. He cannot enter the US under the VWP, if he is eligible, and then file for adjustment of status as the intent to do so makes the act illegal which can result in a rejection of the application and a possible ban from the US. You can remain together in the UK, or you can return to the US without him and he can visit now and again.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:49 pm
Concierge

From our Wiki above:

Direct Consular Filing

Note: The closed remarks pertain to US Consulates/Embassies in other countries, not the UK

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I...iled_In_London
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Your visa was for the UK. You are now dealing with the USCIS. Two different countries, as you know, with two different immigration systems.

Your husband needs a visa before he can enter the US to live and work. He cannot enter the US under the VWP, if he is eligible, and then file for adjustment of status as the intent to do so makes the act illegal which can result in a rejection of the application and a possible ban from the US. You can remain together in the UK, or you can return to the US without him and he can visit now and again.
ok thank you. It gives us things to think about. I want to have the right info to have so we can make the right decisions. I don’t want to think I want to go home just because I’m homesick ...
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

From our Wiki above:

Direct Consular Filing

Note: The closed remarks pertain to US Consulates/Embassies in other countries, not the UK

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I...iled_In_London
thank you
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:53 pm
Concierge

And also from our wiki and noted at the start of this forum is the CR-1 visa information. While it says CR note that those who get the immediate relative visa and the marriage is less than 2 years old become conditional permanent residents. If the marriage is over 2 years in length they get an Immediate Relative Visa with no conditions. The process is the same regardless. This is for those needing to file within the US.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1_
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There will be a limited form of DCF that will remain, but that would not normally be applicable to most people, seem to recollect London will close in about 6 months, some have closed already, so not an if but a when.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

And also from our wiki and noted at the start of this forum is the CR-1 visa information. While it says CR note that those who get the immediate relative visa and the marriage is less than 2 years old become conditional permanent residents. If the marriage is over 2 years in length they get an Immediate Relative Visa with no conditions. The process is the same regardless. This is for those needing to file within the US.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1_
great thank you. Wow this so confusing
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Disregard the DCF portion of the above answers, it will not exist (in all likelihood) by the time you are ready to file.

There will be a limited form of DCF that will remain
​​​​​​​I don't recall seeing this anywhere else, military spouses?
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Disregard the DCF portion of the above answers, it will not exist (in all likelihood) by the time you are ready to file.

I don't recall seeing this anywhere else, military spouses?
​​​​​​​ok thank you
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

DCF is available at all Consulates under exceptional circumstances and that is not changing as far as I can tell.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBBenson
.. and yes, it may be best to stay in the Uk and just make visits to visit family, there’s so much to think in and consider
You have to live in the UK for 5 years before you get Indefinite Leave to Remain.(i.e permanent residency).... at that point you can then apply for citizenship.

Even with Indefinite Leave to Remain if you then leave the UK for two years or more that status lapses. If you then wish to move back to the UK you start the immigration process all over again.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You have to live in the UK for 5 years before you get Indefinite Leave to Remain.(i.e permanent residency).... at that point you can then apply for citizenship.

Even with Indefinite Leave to Remain if you then leave the UK for two years or more that status lapses. If you then wish to move back to the UK you start the immigration process all over again.
ahh I didn’t realize that, thank you. I am confused about the green card and possibly moving back to Texas process if we decide to do that . I guess I don’t know what all has to be done or where to start to find out prices and what all has to happen, and if we moved to Texas, can my husband go with me and we file from there and stay or does he have to stay in the UK. Is the green card the only thing he needs or are there other things to pay for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.