Reload this Page >

Temporary I-551 question

Temporary I-551 question

Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Soilworker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary I-551 question

Hi guys Happy New Year!!!

Finally made it to the US on new years eve from the UK after waiting 18 months to complete the visa process.My wife and daughter are American and travelled back to New York in November from the UK where we lived.

I got my temporary visa endorsed at 'Point Of Entry'. However the IR1 stamp in my Passport expires on Jan 15th 2014 which is only 14 days away.Is this a problem?

Looking at different information on the internet I'm slightly confused as to whether Im eligible to work straight away once my SSN arrives in 3 weeks or if I have to fill out more paperwork.I'm concerned that I would not be able to work until my actual Green Card turns up which I was told could be 6 months.

Could anyone advise me on this please????
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary I-551 question

You can (could have) reported to work as you left the airport with your I-551 stamp. I was working before I received my SSN, and for more than a month before my green card arrived.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:09 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soilworker
Hi guys Happy New Year!!!

Finally made it to the US on new years eve from the UK after waiting 18 months to complete the visa process.My wife and daughter are American and travelled back to New York in November from the UK where we lived.

I got my temporary visa endorsed at 'Point Of Entry'. However the IR1 stamp in my Passport expires on Jan 15th 2014 which is only 14 days away.Is this a problem?

Looking at different information on the internet I'm slightly confused as to whether Im eligible to work straight away once my SSN arrives in 3 weeks or if I have to fill out more paperwork.I'm concerned that I would not be able to work until my actual Green Card turns up which I was told could be 6 months.

Could anyone advise me on this please????
Not a problem. You used up the visa within the time limit and now have permanent residency. You are eligible to work immediately; the endorsed I-551 IS a "green card" as it is proof of your permanent residency. You should get your SSN in a few weeks, but your employer is able to use a temporary SSN for you until you get proof of your number. Some employers don't know this is possible or permissible. If time is tight, wait a couple weeks and then go to a Social Security office to inquire.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Soilworker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys great news.Put our minds at rest!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-551 endorsement should have been given for 1 year (not two weeks). You are still a US PR even if you don't have proof of such, but your employer might need to see an unexpired I-551 stamp in order to complete an I-9 "work authorization verification" form. I think you can go to a CBP office to get this corrected.

Others are right, you won't need your SSN right away in order to get employed.

You are work authorized from Day 1 in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-551 endorsement should have been given for 1 year (not two weeks). You are still a US PR even if you don't have proof of such, but your employer might need to see an unexpired I-551 stamp in order to complete an I-9 "work authorization verification" form. I think you can go to a CBP office to get this corrected.

Others are right, you won't need your SSN right away in order to get employed.

You are work authorized from Day 1 in the USA.

Rene
The endorsement stamp should bear the date of entry using the IV. It's from that date that the one-year proof of PR status of the endorsed visa is calculated.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
The endorsement stamp should bear the date of entry using the IV. It's from that date that the one-year proof of PR status of the endorsed visa is calculated.
Yes. Don't they write the 1-year expiration date?

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Don't they write the 1-year expiration date?

Rene
Not three years ago next Monday at JFK they didn't. My endorsement stamp has my category (IR-1), the date of entry and my A#.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
Not three years ago next Monday at JFK they didn't. My endorsement stamp has my category (IR-1), the date of entry and my A#.
OK, thanks. But it says something like "serves as temporary I-551 for one year", right?

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, thanks. But it says something like "serves as temporary I-551 for one year", right?

Rene
That message is printed at the bottom of the visa. The endorsement stamp is a regular CBP admission stamp on the page next to the visa, placed edge on so that it's on the same orientation as the visa.

Interestingly since becoming an LPR, when re-entering most, but not all CBP officers have stamped on that same page next to my visa, again with the same orientation.