temporary address and naturalization

Wikiposts

temporary address and naturalization

Old Jun 6th 2002, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Mark Derrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temporary address and naturalization

Hello,

I am a Chicago resident (US permanent resident for the last 4 years and 9 months) but a week ago I moved temporaily to Rhode Island for a contracting job. It will take approx 3 months. I will be getting paid in RI and I already rented an appartment here. Anyway, there was a lot of rumour over the internet immigration related websites (www.murthy.com) about requirement to report every address change of permanent residents, so I am just wondering if I should really fill out an AR-11 form to report it even for such relatively period of time. I am asking, because when they ask me to show my income tax forms at the naturalization interview and see an income tax form from RI, they may ask questions such as why hadn't I reported my address change.

Now the second question: let's assume I fill it out. When exactly may I file for naturalization? Should I send it now with my address in Chicago, or should I wait till I go back to Chicago, then wait another 3 months (state residency requirement) and then send my application?

Any ideas?

Mark
Old Jun 7th 2002, 3:20 am
Liwen Liang

Default Re: temporary address and naturalization

To address your first question. I honestly don't think at your citizenship, you will
be asked the question about why you didn't report change of address while you are in
RI. At least, I wasn't asking that question when I went for my interview. Okay, I was
only moving within the same town for a couple of times - you have to fill all the
addresses (within past 5 years) in while you file N-400. They won't ask you base on
your income tax filing.

Can't really answer your second question, but I would think if you still maintain
your Chicago residency, you should be able to file it now, instead of waiting for
another 3 months after you move back to Chicago?

Mark Derrick <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a Chicago resident (US permanent resident for the last 4 years and 9 months)
    > but a week ago I moved temporaily to Rhode Island for a contracting job. It will
    > take approx 3 months. I will be getting paid in RI and I already rented an
    > appartment here. Anyway, there was a lot of rumour over the internet immigration
    > related websites (www.murthy.com) about requirement to report every address change
    > of permanent residents, so I am just wondering if I should really fill out an AR-11
    > form to report it even for such relatively period of time. I am asking, because
    > when they ask me to show my income tax forms at the naturalization interview and
    > see an income tax form from RI, they may ask questions such as why hadn't I
    > reported my address change.
    >
    > Now the second question: let's assume I fill it out. When exactly may I file for
    > naturalization? Should I send it now with my address in Chicago, or should I wait
    > till I go back to Chicago, then wait another 3 months (state residency requirement)
    > and then send my application?
    >
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Mark