Temp EAD Stamp at JFK

Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:08 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp EAD Stamp at JFK

Hey there,

The move is getting closer. I've got a job lined up, I now just need proof of being able to work!

My flight to the US with my K1 visa is landing in JFK.

The question I have is what do I say if they don't automatically stamp my I-94? Is there something specific I should be asking them for, or do I just ask for my I-94 to be stamped for temporary work authorisation?

I've been looking for reviews of JFK as a PoE and how people got the stamp, but not found a useful review for this aspect of it yet. Perhaps someone here can share their own experience to help put my mind at ease.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp EAD Stamp at JFK

Originally Posted by Knight
Hey there,

The move is getting closer. I've got a job lined up, I now just need proof of being able to work!

My flight to the US with my K1 visa is landing in JFK.

The question I have is what do I say if they don't automatically stamp my I-94? Is there something specific I should be asking them for, or do I just ask for my I-94 to be stamped for temporary work authorisation?

I've been looking for reviews of JFK as a PoE and how people got the stamp, but not found a useful review for this aspect of it yet. Perhaps someone here can share their own experience to help put my mind at ease.
If you don't see them put a temp EAD stamp either on your I-94 or your passport, just ask the officer if you can get one.

"Excuse me, sir, may I please have the temporary work authorization stamp?"

I didn't see them stamp my fiance's documents, so I asked. Turns out they did stamp it, I just didn't notice, so the officer showed me where it was already stamped.

Just so you know, you will also most likely need your SS number to start working, unless you know this employer already and he's OK with hiring you without it, to start. You should apply for your SS card about 10 days after your arrival in the USA, to give your record time to get into the database that SS uses to verify your status.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:20 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rene. Hopefully I won't have any problems getting the stamp.

Employer told me on the phone that SSN is not a huge issue if I know I am going to apply for one, but I am not going to be working until about 3 weeks fater I arrive, hopefully enough time to get the SSN sorted (and I may need the SSN for a drivers license depending on how co-operative the DMV of MS are).
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rene. Hopefully I won't have any problems getting the stamp.

Employer told me on the phone that SSN is not a huge issue if I know I am going to apply for one, but I am not going to be working until about 3 weeks fater I arrive, hopefully enough time to get the SSN sorted (and I may need the SSN for a drivers license depending on how co-operative the DMV of MS are).
Sounds like you have it all planned out well. Wait about a week to 10 days before applying for the SSN, that takes about 2 weeks to arrive in the mail. After that, you can take your K-1 visa, I-94, SS card to DMV and apply for your drivers license. Be aware your license will most likely only be valid for the time left on your I-94, and you'll have to go in again with the 1-year EAD to get a drivers license renewal valid for 1 year.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

do I just ask for my I-94 to be stamped for temporary work authorisation?
Yes.

The stamp is a smudgy red one, by all reports, on the back of your I-94 (arrival card). The magic words are 'employment authorized to XX-XX-07'.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

If you are going to work on the basis of the interim EAD, you should file for AOS sooner than later(completing the required steps of course).

AFAIK, The 90-day EAD is a different EAD classification than the 1 year EAD. Therefore the renewal provisions of the I-9 don't apply, with the lead time now for the 1 year EAD you keep this in mind.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:14 am
Twice half his height

Arrive on 14th Nov, married on 30th Nov, file for AoS on 3rd Dec is the plan!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlmostThere1
If you are going to work on the basis of the interim EAD, you should file for AOS sooner than later(completing the required steps of course).

AFAIK, The 90-day EAD is a different EAD classification than the 1 year EAD. Therefore the renewal provisions of the I-9 don't apply, with the lead time now for the 1 year EAD you keep this in mind.

The code to use when filing out the I-765 for the one year EAD is (c)(9).

You won't be renewing as the 90 day EAD is not renewal. You complete the I-765 as applying for your first EAD.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete

You won't be renewing as the 90 day EAD is not renewal. You complete the I-765 as applying for your first EAD.
Old Info:
IIRC the code for the 90 day is A(6) if you were to submit the EAD form. This what I did when Boston used to process same-day EADs in 2003(has it been that long). I was lucky enough to get both the 90 and 1 year done on the spot.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlmostThere1
Old Info:
IIRC the code for the 90 day is A(6) if you were to submit the EAD form. This what I did when Boston used to process same-day EADs in 2003(has it been that long). I was lucky enough to get both the 90 and 1 year done on the spot.
Oh yes, times have changed. They don't do this anymore.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

learners_den is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete

Do they still issue the EAD'as at JFK? What about other ports? I would be entering US around May 6th on a K1. Also is the stamp authorized by employers as per the new I-9 guidelines?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by learners_den
Do they still issue the EAD'as at JFK? What about other ports? I would be entering US around May 6th on a K1. Also is the stamp authorized by employers as per the new I-9 guidelines?
hehe.. I just spelled it out in your other thread..

Yes, they will still give an EAD stamp at JFK.
Other airports, not so much. Land borders, some Canadian ones.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:32 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by learners_den
The EAD stamp on the I-94 is suitable proof of employment status (see Item 5 from List A of Acceptable Documents on the I-9).