Reload this Page >

Tell me why, spouse is not priority

Tell me why, spouse is not priority

Old Jul 24th 2004, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tell me why, spouse is not priority

Originally posted by Boiler
It would be interesting to know which other countries have these sort of timelines.

I know that the UK is:

DCF - Same Day

K3 - 4 weeks ish

K1 - I think the same as K1 but I do not know anubody

EAD - Straightaway?

AP - Whats that!

I do not think the delays in any of the US processing is intentional, just due to inefficiencies.

Are you refering to IND?

There is no such thing as DCF in the UK. A spouse cannot enter the country without entry clearance if they wish to stay indefinitely. Entry clearance can be applied for at LA, Chi and NYC, you can get that the same day providing all paperwork is in order. The spouse will get a Further Leave to Remain stamp if married less than 4 years, if more they get Indefinite Leave to Remain. The spouse CAN work eitherway.

K3? - No such thing see above.

K1 - Similar to the spouse settlement visa. The fiance gets a Further Leave to Remain stamp, must marry within reasonable time and CANNOT work. Once entering the UK the fiance has to wait 23 (?) days before marrying. They then have to apply to change to spouse status.

EAD - no such thing. The main factor is applying for a National Insurance card, the immigrant will have an interview and will have to furnish evidence of their status. It's down to spouse - yes work authorised, Fiance - not work authorised (as stated above). You cannot walk in and get an NI card. You apply through the DHSS. It took my husband approx. 3 weeks.

AP - Entry clearance for spouse is good for multiple entries. I think this is the same for fiance. 0 days

Also one thing I particularly like about the UK is that one is unable to change status i.e. get married on VWP and then intend to immigrate. The person has to go back to their home country to apply at one of the British consulates abroad.

As for the US I think they're doing a great job, especially when you consider they are understaffed. I have been nothing short of impressed with the efficient and friendly manner of the US consulate in London. If only DCF were the same day! But who am I to grumble there are many people who will have to wait longer than my husband and I.

Last edited by half-pint; Jul 24th 2004 at 7:16 am.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell me why, spouse is not priority

I have only had one bad experiance dealing with the US authorities, and that was down to one individual, the vast majority of people have been very helpful to the extent that they can.

I appreciate that the UK is somewhat different in how they do things, but if the US timelines were similar for comparable issues, this board would lose 95% of its postings.

Perhaps more.

So there is a silver lining!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:56 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Boiler
I have only had one bad experiance dealing with the US authorities, and that was down to one individual, the vast majority of people have been very helpful to the extent that they can.

I appreciate that the UK is somewhat different in how they do things, but if the US timelines were similar for comparable issues, this board would lose 95% of its postings.

Perhaps more.

So there is a silver lining!
I agree with you!! The main problem appears to be the waiting!! And griping about it was done even back when, when waiting was as little as 60 days for Nebraska and 30 days or less for Vermont. No harm, it helps the time pass when you whinge a little
Apart from that, I personally think the USCIS is doing a great job. We are talking about a huge nation built on immigration here and there will be the occasional cock-up no matter what. And on top of that security issues post 9/11 not making the task any easier either....
Old Jul 26th 2004, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Very amusing! If you think they talk slow in Texas, you haven't been to Oklahoma. We only talk that slow so the Oklahomans will understand us. (Reminds me of the conversations between the sheep and the dogs in "Babe".)

Originally posted by inquisitive40
I could translate ...

Don't

worry

about

it,

Patrick.

Americans

don't

understand

us

Texans

either.

Each space indicates the LONG pause between each word
(ONLY Joking utopiacowboy, Couldn't resist )

Patrick
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Long Beach, California having dinner at a local restaurant after reuniting with my birth mom. It was a real experience let me tell you. I've never been in a restaurant where the waitresses are also cheerleaders. You make you order and get a peppy " Good Choice!"

Next the waitress asked me if I wanted one of their "super salads" to which I replied yes. After about five seconds she again asked, "do you want a super salad?" I again replied yes.

At this point my mom interjected, " Honey you have to talk slow, He's from the South!"

She perkily responded, "Sir would you like one of our soup or salads?"

Mystery solved.

TP

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Very amusing! If you think they talk slow in Texas, you haven't been to Oklahoma. We only talk that slow so the Oklahomans will understand us. (Reminds me of the conversations between the sheep and the dogs in "Babe".)