Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Went on to the USCIS site to check our case status, fully expecting to see it still at 'Acceptance' stage, only to find that they mailed out an RFE on 2nd December. Bugger. Still, no point worrying or speculating about what the problem might be. We'll just have to wait and see then respond as best we can.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Copied from the 'K1 - timeline only' thread:

Originally Posted by Th22ek9
Technolog. What was the request for evidence for (RFE)?

I got an RFE as well on November 30th. I missed checking "no" on the "am I a criminal question". All I had to do was check that off on the paper they sent. They also wanted a letter from my fiancée stating she plans to marry within 90 days of arrival. I had her immediatly write one up and received the letter on December 3. I sent it the RFE back same day. Fingers crossed!
We don't know yet, we haven't received it (see above) but hopefully it'll be something straight forward like yours. Although it would be annoying to have caused a delay by making a simple mistake.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

We received the RFE I-797E form today. Text as below:

MARRIAGE TERMINATION: Submit a legible copy of the final divorce decree signed by a judge or magistrate that shows proof of filing that terminated the prior marriage(s) between <beneficiary's name> & <beneficiary's former wife's name>
I'm not sure exactly where we fell down. The original is perfectly legible with the exception of the red court seal stamp. However there is no signature on it and I can only assume that the stamp performs that function.

I'll be ringing the issuing court tomorrow to discuss it. Copies appear to be available at a cost of £5 each so that's not too bad should we need one.

USCIS kindly included a self-addressed envelope to return the evidence in. The address is a PO box number for the California Service Center. Am I right in thinking we won't be able to use the 'next day' FedEx service that we used for the I-129F pack for delivery to this address because it's a PO box?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
USCIS kindly included a self-addressed envelope to return the evidence in. The address is a PO box number for the California Service Center. Am I right in thinking we won't be able to use the 'next day' FedEx service that we used for the I-129F pack for delivery to this address because it's a PO box?
That's correct. Instead, use USPS in such a way that you can track the package so you'll get confirmation that it was delivered.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
That's correct. Instead, use USPS in such a way that you can track the package so you'll get confirmation that it was delivered.

Rene
I'm in the UK Rene so I can only send it through Royal Mail from here. Presumably it'll be routed through USPS when it's crossed the Atlantic.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the UK Rene so I can only send it through Royal Mail from here. Presumably it'll be routed through USPS when it's crossed the Atlantic.
Oops, I forgot. Well, try to send it via a trackable method, anyway. It helps to have confirmation that they received the RFE response.

Rene
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:00 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

We received the RFE I-797E form today. Text as below:

I'm not sure exactly where we fell down. The original is perfectly legible with the exception of the red court seal stamp. However there is no signature on it and I can only assume that the stamp performs that function.
Hmmm, that's worrying as mine doesn't have a signature on either, like you said, just the red county court stamp. I've checked my Nisi and that doesn't have a signature either.

Please let me know what your court says as I'll probably have the same problem!

ETA: I've just noticed that you say your red stamp is illegible, maybe that is the problem (although they obviously talk about signatures). We did a colour photocopy of mine to make sure you could read the stamp.

Last edited by BunnyGirl; Dec 12th 2013 at 8:10 am.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I did a colour copy too but parts of the stamp lettering are missing.

I rang the county court the decree was issued from and they confirmed that the D37 (decree absolute) I have with the red seal stamp of the court is as good as it gets and that there are never any signatures (well not in their jurisdiction anyway).

However, what they've said they will do is 're-seal' (I think that's the term she used) my D37 with a more legible stamp. If possible I might try for a completely new copy with a legible seal stamp on it. I'm calling in to the court tomorrow and should get it sorted.

I'll return the RFE with the (hopefully) legible decree and an explanation of what I've submitted and why.

Does this sound like a plan?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that the OP's quote from the RFE is 'form letter' material, not a handwritten clarification of what is wanted.

In any case, one cannot provide what one does not have and cannot obtain. You, should you get a similar RFE, and the OP should explain that divorce certificates are not issued with the judge's signature in the jurisdiction where your divorce was obtained.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Hmmm, that's worrying as mine doesn't have a signature on either, like you said, just the red county court stamp. I've checked my Nisi and that doesn't have a signature either.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Regards, JEff
I'll return the RFE with the (hopefully) legible decree and an explanation of what I've submitted and why.

Does this sound like a plan?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:07 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I suspect that the OP's quote from the RFE is 'form letter' material, not a handwritten clarification of what is wanted.

In any case, one cannot provide what one does not have and cannot obtain. You, should you get a similar RFE, and the OP should explain that divorce certificates are not issued with the judge's signature in the jurisdiction where your divorce was obtained.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff
Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I went to the court this afternoon and explained my situation regarding the RFE on my decree absolute. The very helpful man re-stamped my decree with a very legible court seal. He also applied a further stamp that certified that it was a true copy of the original order filed with the court and signed it. Not only that, he did exactly the same to a photocopy of the decree that I'd taken with me. This allows me to send the original decree to USCIS for added authenticity and still have a certified copy in my possession.

I've written a cover letter explaining the above and am also enclosing a copy of the cover letter that accompanied the decree from my solicitor at the time of the divorce. The letter makes it clear that I am in receipt of the original decree and that I am now free to re-marry.

It'll be posted off tomorrow and hopefully we can get the show on the road again in the next week or two.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:09 pm

Sounds like a very thorough, well done approach.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Busy afternoon.

I also went to see the nurse at my doctor's surgery to discuss vaccinations and obtaining my medical records.

I told her I needed Tdap (Tetanus and Diptheria toxoids and Acellular Pertussis), MMR & Flu vaccinations. She seems to think that I require Revaxis (after Googling, this appears to be for tetanus, diptheria and polio) and MMR (which requires two courses apparently). She says I was immunised against pertussis as a baby. She said that there would be no charge for either of them . I can't remember exactly what she said about the flu vaccine but I'll ask about it again when I arrange the others. It wouldn't be the end of the world to have it done either at the time of the medical or the AOS stage I assume.

Now, given that we filed the I-129F fiancé(e) visa petition in early November and that we would like to enter the US in either July or August 2014 preferably, what would you suggest is the best time to get the vaccinations? Presumably they should be done before the medical if I intend my doctor doing them?

On the subject of obtaining my medical records, she told me to contact the practice manager (who wasn't around today) to see how I needed to go about it. She said in her opinion, there may be a charge for this service . I'll speak to the practice manager on Monday.

Am I right to think it would be a good idea to have my medical records to hand for the medical?

I know it's very much a guess, but to the nearest month, when is the likely date of the medical and how do you arrive at that guess? You're not allowed to say you guessed
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Sounds like a very thorough, well done approach.

Regards, JEff
Thanks JEff. It's comforting to hear. I do like a nicely dotted 'i' and crossed 't'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.