Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's K1 visa journey

technolog's K1 visa journey

Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's K1 visa journey

Wow! Four months later and he's back again. So much for staying regular.

The job's going pretty well. They seem to think quite highly of me. I was sent down to Houston TX last week for a trade show. Unfortunately it cooincided with my first tussle with American germs. I can confirm that the germs won the initial skirmishes though my immune system finally got itself together and I'm back on the road to recovery.

It was nice to leave the ice and snow of Cleveland behind, if only for a few days. Houston was unseasonably warm, with the mercury hitting a rather pleasant 81°F.

The Ohioan winter has been interesting. It came in like a lion with a frigid November. December was relatively mild, though still colder than Britain. January & February have been whatever the word is for something that's colder than frigid. Perhaps it just needs some alliterative preceding emphasis. This February was actually the coldest February since records began! However, the roads are kept reasonably clear, even during snow storms, so you can still get about pretty well. The situation is helped greatly by this area of north-east Ohio being as flat as a pancake or perhaps a crepe.

Thanksgiving & Christmas passed with little incident. I was surprised how low key Christmas was, especially in this household. The 2 days off at Christmas came as something of a shock to the system for someone who is used to having the best part of a fortnight off over the festive period.

The best news of all - today we got final approval for our mortgage! We sign on Thursday and get the keys on Friday. We'll be moving in a week later after carpets have been replaced and new furniture delivered.

The house is lovely and in a really nice neighbourhood in the city of Elyria. It's two and a half times the size of the house we had in Britain and cost $40,000 less.

I can't wait to make the move - it'll feel like our American adventure is starting for real!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog
I can't wait to make the move - it'll feel like our American adventure is starting for real!
Very pleased to hear that things are going well for you! Best of luck for the future.

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian. I'm still waiting for my green card btw. It should be with us in the next couple of months.

Who do I have to inform of the change of address, regarding the immigration process?

Also, could you remind me when I have to take the next steps, i.e. to remove the conditions and what are those steps? I entered on June 16th 2014 on a K-1 visa, got married on July 5th and applied for AOS a couple of weeks after that.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Change of address for alien: Form AR-11 online.
Change of Address for Sponsor: Form I-865, mail it in.

You will remove conditions by filing Form I-751 during the 90-day window just prior to your 2-year green card expiration.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

You will remove conditions by filing Form I-751 during the 90-day window just prior to your 2-year green card expiration.
Yup - what she said!

Ian
Old Mar 12th 2015, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
My then fiancee and now wife is the sponsor, yes?

So the two year period will start when the green card is issued, hopefully in May, or is it back-dated to the date of my entry?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Yes.
2. The counting starts from when you become a PR. The green card will say "resident since" and a date (most likely a date someone between your AOS interview and the card arriving in the mail). It's not backdated to when you entered the USA. You didn't apply to become a PR until you filed AOS. When AOS is approved, you will be a PR.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 12th 2015 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:21 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey technolog, good to 'see' you

Glad everything's going so well for you, we received our EAD/AP cards today, just waiting for some movement on our I485s now

Good luck with the house move!
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene & Ian. Does the ability to apply for citizenship fall on the 5th anniversary of the green card's issuance?

Thanks BunnyGirl. How's your move gone? If you have a thread on here or a blog, I'd love to follow your journey.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by technolog
Does the ability to apply for citizenship fall on the 5th anniversary of the green card's issuance?
No need to wait for 5 years. If you're married to a USC, you can apply to naturalize up to 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the "resident since" date on your GC. Your two years of conditional status does count towards the 3 year eligibility.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:38 am

When married to a USC, you can apply when you've been a PR for 3 years, and the marriage is also 3 years old. You're allowed to file the N-400 up to 90 days early, as long as the marriage is more than 3 years old at that time.

The 5 year program is for those not married to a USC.

Rene
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, that's good news. I'd better start brushing up my 'Star-Spangled Banner'. Thanks both.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

This is a brilliant post, thanks so much for sharing it. I have just got engaged and we are beginning the K1 process, and this helps so much. Also my fiancée is from Westlake, Ohio, so was great to see that you are posting from there!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
This is a brilliant post, thanks so much for sharing it. I have just got engaged and we are beginning the K1 process, and this helps so much. Also my fiancée is from Westlake, Ohio, so was great to see that you are posting from there!
I'm glad you're finding it helpful. I've just moved from the in-laws' at Westlake to our own house in nearby (15 miles away) Elyria.