Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

technolog's AOS from K-1 fiancé to CPR

technolog's AOS from K-1 fiancé to CPR

Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default technolog's AOS from K-1 fiancé to CPR

...and on we go with the next leg. Thanks for all the help so far and that which is still to come.

I'm arriving in Westlake OH on June 16th. The K-1/AOS wiki says apply for my SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. I thought I'd seen threads suggesting that this can be done sooner. I know applying too soon is an issue but what is the current advice?

Another timing issue; we're planning to go off on honeymoon after our July 5th wedding but I'd like to delay it to give me enough time to file my AOS paperwork. I'm thinking the sooner that's done, the sooner I can find a job and get some much needed income coming in! Am I right in thinking I can get all the paperwork done ahead of time and I'll just be waiting for the marriage certificate to complete the pack? Any ideas how soon after the wedding we can get the marriage certificate in Ohio?

The honeymoon is going to be perhaps 10 but probably 14 days duration. Any other advice re timing or just in general?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:36 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: technolog's AOS from K-1 fiancé to CPR

Originally Posted by technolog
...and on we go with the next leg. Thanks for all the help so far and that which is still to come.

I'm arriving in Westlake OH on June 16th. The K-1/AOS wiki says apply for my SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. I thought I'd seen threads suggesting that this can be done sooner. I know applying too soon is an issue but what is the current advice?

Another timing issue; we're planning to go off on honeymoon after our July 5th wedding but I'd like to delay it to give me enough time to file my AOS paperwork. I'm thinking the sooner that's done, the sooner I can find a job and get some much needed income coming in! Am I right in thinking I can get all the paperwork done ahead of time and I'll just be waiting for the marriage certificate to complete the pack? Any ideas how soon after the wedding we can get the marriage certificate in Ohio?

The honeymoon is going to be perhaps 10 but probably 14 days duration. Any other advice re timing or just in general?
Where will you go on your honeymoon? Be aware, if it is outside the US, you can't come back in without an immigrant visa unless you are under adjustment and have an advance parole.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Staying firmly in mainland U.S.A! A road trip to New York & New England is the plan at the moment.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas how soon after the wedding we can get the marriage certificate in Ohio?
The certificate is signed by the officiant, then they have to return it to the probate court. (The officiant doesn't have to be a judge or a minister of any traditional religion or anything like that, but in Ohio they do need to be registered with the state - which can take about two weeks to sort out, and costs ten whole American dollars! - so that needs to be done in advance of the wedding.) If you turn up with the officiant and all the paperwork, they should be able to give you the certified copies that you'll need on the spot.

EDITED: to be closer in spirit to this, which specifies that "the person Solemnizing the marriage" shall do the returning. To be on the safe side, make sure your officiant is willing to take a trip down to the court with you the next day.

Last edited by zerlesen; Apr 1st 2014 at 1:40 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The K-1/AOS wiki says apply for my SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. I thought I'd seen threads suggesting that this can be done sooner. I know applying too soon is an issue but what is the current advice?
Current advice still seems to be about 10 days after arrival in the US. You can definitely get a SSN prior to marrying.

Am I right in thinking I can get all the paperwork done ahead of time and I'll just be waiting for the marriage certificate to complete the pack?
Yes.

Yes - enjoy your honeymoon... reality kicks in pretty quickly afterwards!

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:54 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog;11199632The [URL="http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjustment_Of_Status_Help_Guide:_AOS_from_a_K-1_Fiance_or_K-3_Spouse_Visa"
K-1/AOS wiki[/URL] says apply for my SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. I thought I'd seen threads suggesting that this can be done sooner. I know applying too soon is an issue but what is the current advice?
Just wanted to say please can you update on how you get on with this as I've just been looking into it.

I need to have a Social Security number before we can get a marriage license, but the SS form states that they won't give me a number unless I can prove that I need one for a valid non-work reason. The only proof they'll accept is a letter from the courthouse stating explicitly that I need one. I can only imagine how hard it's going to be to get hold of that... and if we're going to be able to get married when we want we're only going to have a few weeks to get all this sorted! Eek!

Anyway, good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technolog;11199632The [URL="http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjustment_Of_Status_Help_Guide:_AOS_from_a_K-1_Fiance_or_K-3_Spouse_Visa"
K-1/AOS wiki[/URL] says apply for my SSN 10 to 15 days after arrival. I thought I'd seen threads suggesting that this can be done sooner. I know applying too soon is an issue but what is the current advice?
I think the general advice is still to wait at least 10 days. That's how long it takes for your information to get into the SAVE system which SS uses to verify your status.

Another timing issue; we're planning to go off on honeymoon after our July 5th wedding but I'd like to delay it to give me enough time to file my AOS paperwork. I'm thinking the sooner that's done, the sooner I can find a job and get some much needed income coming in! Am I right in thinking I can get all the paperwork done ahead of time and I'll just be waiting for the marriage certificate to complete the pack?
Pretty much, yes. Complete as much of the AOS package as possible ahead of time, and then fill in the blanks just before sending it off.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I need to have a Social Security number before we can get a marriage license,
Are you 100% sure? I thought most (if not all) states could do a marriage license without a SSN. It might ask for one on the form, but if you don't have one, it's OK.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:13 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you 100% sure? I thought most (if not all) states could do a marriage license without a SSN. It might ask for one on the form, but if you don't have one, it's OK.

Rene
That's just what it says on the Tarrant County website:

Must have a valid, government-issued picture identification.
Must know Social Security number.

So obviously wouldn't need the actual card. But if it's not absolutely required that would be great! I was going to get my fiance to check a bit closer to the time.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:14 pm

Must have a valid, government-issued picture identification.
Must know Social Security number.

So obviously wouldn't need the actual card. But if it's not absolutely required that would be great! I was going to get my fiance to check a bit closer to the time.
Yes, have him double check...but my guess is if you don't have one, you should be OK.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That's because no one in Tarrant County considered the possibility of someone marrying a non-USC, let alone a PR or someone else! Fortunately though, such web sites often reflect only the most common scenarios and don't reflect the actual law.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:36 pm
Hoppity hop...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, have him double check...but my guess is if you don't have one, you should be OK.

Rene
Thanks Rene

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's because no one in Tarrant County considered the possibility of someone marrying a non-USC, let alone a PR or someone else! Fortunately though, such web sites often reflect only the most common scenarios and don't reflect the actual law.

Ian
That actually made me laugh! Thanks Ian

Sorry for hijacking Technolog
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH lives in Ohio, and he checked with the court house regards a SSN for the wedding. although it states it on the forms, they said I wouldn't need to have one, as I'm not a USC. (this is hen we were going to get married, and have me camp out in the USA and apply for a visa).
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry for hijacking Technolog
No problem - all interesting stuff
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smudger222
My OH lives in Ohio, and he checked with the court house regards a SSN for the wedding. although it states it on the forms, they said I wouldn't need to have one, as I'm not a USC. (this is hen we were going to get married, and have me camp out in the USA and apply for a visa).
Cheers Smudger, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.