Wikiposts

Taxes

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Stormy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes

Can I put my wife on my tax returns for this year even though she has never been in the United States. She has also never had any income in Morocco. Can I put her as filing jointly. I know I can't put her as a dependent, but I would like to have her name on the tax returns. I called IRS but they said someone would contact me in about 14 days. Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes

Originally posted by Stormy
Can I put my wife on my tax returns for this year even though she has never been in the United States. She has also never had any income in Morocco. Can I put her as filing jointly. I know I can't put her as a dependent, but I would like to have her name on the tax returns. I called IRS but they said someone would contact me in about 14 days. Thanks

You're married so you have to file as married. Even if you were to file married, separate, as opposed to married, joint, you still have to name your wife and give her social security number. In lieu of a ss# you can use an individual taxpayers identification number obtained through the IRS. Someone on the forum recently posted that IRS changed the rules and that you can apply for this at the same time as you file your tax returns. You might want to check out the correctness of that statement.

Rete
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:05 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
You're married so you have to file as married. Even if you were to file married, separate, as opposed to married, joint, you still have to name your wife and give her social security number.
Rete
Sorry to poke my beak in on this thread, but I'm confused. We went to file Corey's taxes last night, and we both filed married, but file at single rate. She never asked me for my SSN, or even my name.

She also commented that we'd be better off filling in the worksheet by putting all "0" when it asks for your deductions, but on the first line of the W4, it states :Put "1" if no-one else can claim you as a dependant". Surely in our case, we'd both put 1, as we're both earning and we're not dependant on each other.

After so many years of having someone else deal with my taxes, all this is a bit weird!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Sorry to poke my beak in on this thread, but I'm confused. We went to file Corey's taxes last night, and we both filed married, but file at single rate. She never asked me for my SSN, or even my name.

She also commented that we'd be better off filling in the worksheet by putting all "0" when it asks for your deductions, but on the first line of the W4, it states :Put "1" if no-one else can claim you as a dependant". Surely in our case, we'd both put 1, as we're both earning and we're not dependant on each other.

After so many years of having someone else deal with my taxes, all this is a bit weird!

Kate. xxxxx
Nobody else can claim me, but I always put "0."Just in case no one has ever explained it to you, when you put down 0 exemptions, the IRS will tax you higher now, and you most likely will not owe anything. If you put down 1, they take out less taxes, and you could end up owing. You would start putting 1 (or more) if you have children and need more money now to support them. This is very basic reasoning, so I'm sure there is a much more in-depth explanation behind how people should chose their exemption levels.

Jamie
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:21 am

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Nobody else can claim me, but I always put "0."Just in case no one has ever explained it to you, when you put down 0 exemptions, the IRS will tax you higher now, and you most likely will not owe anything. If you put down 1, they take out less taxes, and you could end up owing. You would start putting 1 (or more) if you have children and need more money now to support them. This is very basic reasoning, so I'm sure there is a much more in-depth explanation behind how people should chose their exemption levels.

Jamie
Wow!!!! Learn something new every day!!! Thanks for this info, Jamie! We don't have kids and never plan on them, so your method is probably best for us.

Corey got a small rebate, and I was attempting to work out how much I'd be getting. From the looks of it, I might owe some. I still have to wait on 1 last W2 til I do mine, though, as they "got lost in the mail", so they're sending a duplicate. Tax lady did say that I can just bring in my pay stubs for that particular job after the 15th Feb, but hopefully I'll have my W2's by then.

Thanks again for the simple explanation. I feel a little less like a duck out of water now!!!

Kate. xxx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Kate. xxxxx

Not sure what you are talking about Kate. I believe you are talking about completing the W-4 for the withholding of taxes from your paycheck not about filing your IRS 1040 form.

Rete
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:43 am
Concierge

Wow!!!! Learn something new every day!!! Thanks for this info, Jamie! We don't have kids and never plan on them, so your method is probably best for us.

Corey got a small rebate, and I was attempting to work out how much I'd be getting. From the looks of it, I might owe some. I still have to wait on 1 last W2 til I do mine, though, as they "got lost in the mail", so they're sending a duplicate. Tax lady did say that I can just bring in my pay stubs for that particular job after the 15th Feb, but hopefully I'll have my W2's by then.

Thanks again for the simple explanation. I feel a little less like a duck out of water now!!!

Kate. xxx

hehehe yes you are talking about completing a W-4 not a tax return. And it is not a rebate LOL it is a refund.

Why did you opt not to file joint? Usually if you earn a small amount of money, it is advantageous to file joint rather than separate.

Rete
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:47 am
Concierge

hehehe yes you are talking about completing a W-4 not a tax return. And it is not a rebate LOL it is a refund.

Why did you opt not to file joint? Usually if you earn a small amount of money, it is advantageous to file joint rather than separate.

Rete

I've been filing taxes as a single and/or married filer for the last 39 years but to prove mysef correct I have the d/l 1040 form in front of me.

If filing joint you enter the spouse's name and SSN number under the label section.

If filing married/separate you enter spouse's name in the filing status section #3 and enter their SSN under the Spouse's social security number box.

Rete
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:48 am
Mrtravelkay

Stormy wrote:

> Can I put my wife on my tax returns for this year even though she
    > has never been in the United States. She has also never had any
    > income in Morocco. Can I put her as filing jointly. I know I can't
    > put her as a dependent, but I would like to have her name on the tax
    > returns. I called IRS but they said someone would contact me in
    > about 14 days. Thanks

Yes, you can file a joint return.. She would NOT be a dependent, she
would be the joint filer. For the purpose of filing a joint return, she
would be considered as a resident alien. It's in the 1040 instructions.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:49 am
Mrtravelkay

Rete wrote:

> Originally posted by Stormy
    >
    >>Can I put my wife on my tax
    >
    > returns for this year even though she has never been in the United
    > States. She has also never had any income in Morocco. Can I put her as
    > filing jointly. I know I can't put her as a dependent, but I would like
    > to have her name on the tax returns. I called IRS but they said someone
    > would contact me in about 14 days. Thanks
    >
    >
    > You're married so
    > you have to file as married.

NO... married people living apart do not always have to file as married.
This is in the instructions.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:52 am
Mrtravelkay

sunflwrgrl13 wrote:

>
    > Nobody else can claim me, but I always put "0."Just in case no one has
    > ever explained it to you, when you put down 0 exemptions, the IRS will
    > tax you higher now, and you most likely will not owe anything. If you
    > put down 1, they take out less taxes, and you could end up owing.

So, you would rather give the government a tax free loan, instead of
paying your credit cards etc, in full every month? FWIW, you can
calculate your deductions based on itemized deductions. Currently, I
claim 19 and STILL got a federal refund (high mortgage interest amount,
and other taxes)

Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:53 am

And it is not a rebate LOL it is a refund.
My British roots showing through!!!

Rete
I had no clue about how best to file for our situation, but the office manager of my last job said it might be advantageous for us to file singly. We'll carry on filing singly now, though, as Corey has had a pay raise, and I'll be earning a good wage this year.

Kate. xxxxxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:08 am
Mrtravelkay

katesuiter1 wrote:

>
    > I had
    > no clue about how best to file for our situation, but the office manager
    > of my last job said it might be advantageous for us to file singly.
    > We'll carry on filing singly now, though, as Corey has had a pay raise,
    > and I'll be earning a good wage this year.

Did the office manager know all about your situation, potential
deductions, salaries of both people, etc????

Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:21 am
Concierge

My British roots showing through!!!

I had no clue about how best to file for our situation, but the office manager of my last job said it might be advantageous for us to file singly. We'll carry on filing singly now, though, as Corey has had a pay raise, and I'll be earning a good wage this year.

Kate. xxxxxxxx

I sent you a PM about this. Unless your office manager is a tax accountant or knows your situation you are best off consulting a professional on this matter, even if it is someone like H&R Block (which I don't really recommend).

The IRS forms are not that difficult to understand, especially if you don't have itemized deductions.

Rete
Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mrt,

She will only be considered as a resident alien (for tax purposes) if both husband and wife sign a joint statement to the effect that they want her to be treated as a resident alien.

As you say, it's in the instructions.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Mrtravelkay
Stormy wrote:

> Can I put my wife on my tax returns for this year even though she
    > has never been in the United States. She has also never had any
    > income in Morocco. Can I put her as filing jointly. I know I can't
    > put her as a dependent, but I would like to have her name on the tax
    > returns. I called IRS but they said someone would contact me in
    > about 14 days. Thanks

Yes, you can file a joint return.. She would NOT be a dependent, she
would be the joint filer. For the purpose of filing a joint return, she
would be considered as a resident alien. It's in the 1040 instructions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.