Reload this Page >

Tax Transcripts ... a US Embassy Change of Policy in the UK

Tax Transcripts ... a US Embassy Change of Policy in the UK

Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Transcripts ... a US Embassy Change of Policy in the UK

Originally Posted by Corrine82
Hey all just to let everyone know my husband and children had there interview today and my 2018 transcript hadn’t arrived yet I explained to them that I was still awaiting it ordered 4th Sep but I had copy of the 1040 he said this is a grey area at the moment that keeps changing as they changed the policy recently so was tax transcripts only but now realising the embassy website says tax transcript OR return so will accept it Visas were approved 🙌
Yes, my husband was approved without my tax transcripts too. Heck, I didn't even show proof of future US income, just my UK salary that will cease to exist when we move, and they accepted us based on my UK income alone. They didn't even bother to look at my co sponsor's I-864 and supporting documentation!
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

teajayy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently attended an interview at the Embassy. When the consulate officer was told we did not have my wife's tax returns, she's lived here for over 13 years, he handed her an email address and told her to send an email stating she wasn't aware tax returns were needed whilst living in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

AliceRB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teajayy
I have recently attended an interview at the Embassy. When the consulate officer was told we did not have my wife's tax returns, she's lived here for over 13 years, he handed her an email address and told her to send an email stating she wasn't aware tax returns were needed whilst living in the UK.
hello this will apply to me and is very helpful. I am an American who has lived in the UK for over 13 years. I have not filed US taxes for years so I am considering filing for the last 3 years and then ordering my transcripts or asking my mom or dad to joint sponsor my British husband? Please advise to anyone who has done this in the same situation as me. Much appreciated x
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by klawrence
Yes, my husband was approved without my tax transcripts too. Heck, I didn't even show proof of future US income, just my UK salary that will cease to exist when we move, and they accepted us based on my UK income alone. They didn't even bother to look at my co sponsor's I-864 and supporting documentation!
would I be able to PM you regarding this and your experience as it sounds like something I will be going through soon? Thanks in advance. X
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AliceRB

hello this will apply to me and is very helpful. I am an American who has lived in the UK for over 13 years. I have not filed US taxes for years so I am considering filing for the last 3 years and then ordering my transcripts or asking my mom or dad to joint sponsor my British husband? Please advise to anyone who has done this in the same situation as me. Much appreciated x
Hi, I'm glad you found it helpful.

The consulate officer at the Embassy was very understanding of my wife's situation, I'm sure it happens a lot.

He gave us a letter with an email address on and told my wife to email a letter saying she wasn't aware she should have been filling a tax return. Long story short, I now my visa.

Good luck.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I'm glad you found it helpful.

The consulate officer at the Embassy was very understanding of my wife's situation, I'm sure it happens a lot.

He gave us a letter with an email address on and told my wife to email a letter saying she wasn't aware she should have been filling a tax return. Long story short, I now my visa.

Good luck.
so are you saying that they approved it just with this explanation and instructed her to email the authority?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

so are you saying that they approved it just with this explanation and instructed her to email the authority?
Yes, she put in her letter that she will notify the relevant department on her return to the States later this month. As soon as they received this letter they sent me my visa.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes, she put in her letter that she will notify the relevant department on her return to the States later this month. As soon as they received this letter they sent me my visa.
Also can I ask whether she used a joint sponsor or was she enough to financially sponsor you based on her current overseas income? Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Also can I ask whether she used a joint sponsor or was she enough to financially sponsor you based on her current overseas income? Thanks.
My father in law sponsored me. I told my sister in law to inform him to do a joint sponsor to cover both of us just in case, but it was never passed on and I took a single sponsor letter/form to the Embassy and they were fine with it. My wife's been living in England for 13 years so has no overseas income.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 11:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Think about it. If there is no income, how would she be able to be a financial sponsor? No, she and you will need a joint sponsor. However, if you have the required assets then it is possible to be sole financial sponsor.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

talesof is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a PSA in case anyone is struggling to obtain tax transcripts from abroad. In my particular case, I couldn't get transcripts online because the IRS had mangled my UK address in their system (and because I lacked a US phone number tied to my name).

However, I discovered that you can still get the IRS to fax your tax transcripts if you live abroad. It seems to be an unwritten rule, based on my many phone calls to their international hotline. I will say that their application of this rule seems to be inconsistent and largely based on the person answering the phone. I called them a couple times over the past few days, and some people refused to fax my transcripts, but others were happy to do so (citing the fact that I had a non-US address as the reason).

So if you're struggling to get the transcripts, just keep calling their international hotline - dial 267-941-1000, then 1 (English), then 4 (int'l tax), then 2 (tax account letters/notifications etc).
Old May 25th 2020, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Southernboy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas how we get Transcripts now that on the IRS website it says they are no longer processing requests for transcripts by mail and living in the U.K. the online option is out as we don’t have a US cell phone!
Old May 26th 2020, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southernboy123
Any ideas how we get Transcripts now that on the IRS website it says they are no longer processing requests for transcripts by mail and living in the U.K. the online option is out as we don’t have a US cell phone!
Hi,

As you pointed out, the IRS website doesn't let you register using "Get Transcript Online" if they have a foreign address on file for you. Even if you did file from a US address, you need a US cell phone number so that the IRS can send you a validation code that you need in order to log in. One way of getting around this is to have the validation code physically mailed to a US address to someone you trust. However, when I checked a few days ago, the IRS is not currently mailing these codes out. An alternative option is to phone the IRS and request a transcript to be mailed to you in the UK. I did speak to an IRS representative last week who informed me that no tax transcripts are being mailed out at this time, because the department that processes these has not yet opened up fully. She advised me to call back in a couple of weeks. She also confirmed that they are no longer allowed to fax transcripts, and are only able to physically mail transcripts out to the address they have on file (i.e. to the UK in my case).

So to cut a long story short, it currently isn't possible to obtain a tax transcript if you filed your taxes from abroad. However, it looks like this will become a possibility soon as the IRS resumes normal operations. If you need something urgently, I would submit a copy of all the pages of your submitted 1040 tax return, including any attached schedules.

Last edited by os306; May 26th 2020 at 10:05 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Southernboy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who aren’t yet aware Transcripts are back available to be mailed out on the IRS website, my wife requested ours a few minutes ago.