Reload this Page >

Tax Returns for K1 Visa

Wikiposts

Tax Returns for K1 Visa

Old May 6th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Returns for K1 Visa

Hi, I am a bit concerned about something and wanted to see if anyone had any experience/advice.
I am currently applying for a K1 Fiancee visa. I have received packet 3 and now gathering the required documents.
My partner has been living in the UK since he was 7 and only just moved back to the US a couple of months ago. He didnt realise he had to do tax returns each year and so when he realised I needed them for the visa interview he sent off the last 3 years worth - 05, 06, and 07 in January of this year. In the space of a couple of months he received 3 letters from the IRS asking to confirm his social security number for each years return. He sent them back promptly but the last one was only received a week or so ago.
I am just concerned as to how long this will take. Should I hold off sending my DS-230 etc in till I have copies of his tax returns?
Also should he now do the tax return for 08? and should this be included for the interview?
I hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:52 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns for K1 Visa

Originally Posted by fluffy82
Also should he now do the tax return for 08?
I don't have any insight for you on your other questions, but yes -- he should also file a tax return for 2008. And next year for 2009, and so on. As a US citizen, it's his responsibility to file tax returns to report all worldwide income. The only time this wouldn't apply is if he makes less than the minimum annual threshold required to be reported (not sure how much that is, but it's well below the poverty line).

~ Jenney
Old May 7th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

fluffy82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jenney, I'll make sure he does the 2008 asap.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fluffy82
Thanks Jenney, I'll make sure he does the 2008 asap.
Tax returns for 2008 were due on or before April 15th 2009. He should have filed for an extension before that date. His tax form is overdue if he did not.
As others will have pointed out filing a US tax form and paying US taxes is not the same thing - generally due to reciprocity rules no tax will be paid by most US citizens that have non-US derived income.