Going Insane F*Ing Ins

Default Tax Returns - Affidavit Of Support

hello,

Im wondering if anyone can help me . My Wife called up the Irs Last
Week and requested Tax Returns Froms For the Last 3 Years and they
Came Today.

Now Im just Checking as to weather they will be Good for INS Puropses
, What we recieved were "TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT INFORMATION". It is
displayed On one sheet containing her tax Imformation.

Will This one page Tax Transription be enough to Include for our
Affidavit Of Support or do we Need more Detailed Tax Return Documents
to be Accompanied with the Affidavit Of Support.

Also We did not recieve W2's with them , were do we get them from ?

Any help will be great

Thanks a million.

Mick

Old Oct 26th 2002, 3:04 pm
Mtw34

Default Re: Tax Returns - Affidavit Of Support

Tax Transcripts are fine for INS, no need to have W2s, Some consulates actually
require IRS official Transcripts rather then photocopies of your returns

Old Oct 27th 2002, 3:03 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns - Affidavit Of Support

Originally posted by Mtw34
Tax Transcripts are fine for INS, no need to have W2s, Some consulates actually
require IRS official Transcripts rather then photocopies of your returns
Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but it seems appropriate!

I followed a link provided on another "tax return" thread and read on that if any of the previous 3 years' tax returns were filed jointly with an ex-spouse, that the FULL tax return is required for that year, not just the tax transcript.

I read about it here:

http://k1.exit.com/affidavitframes.html -- then click on "Tax Returns"

I have two questions regarding tax returns...

1) Has anyone who filed jointly with an ex-spouse within the previous 3 years encountered any problems by only submitting tax transcripts (not the full returns)?

2) I have done my taxes on TurboTax for the past 4 years -- both when I filed jointly with my ex-hubby and singly once we'd divorced. Therefore, I have copies of my tax returns saved to disc. Would it suffice to submit copies printed out from my computer, or do I need "official" tax returns/transcripts from the IRS?

We're applying for the K-1 via London. Thanks!

~ Jenney
Old Oct 27th 2002, 9:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you go the official tax transcript route. Include your W-2 for those years that you filed jointly with your husband. This will show and prove your portion of the income used for filing.

Rete
Old Oct 27th 2002, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

L S Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

When I called the IRS for transcripts they were polite,
the transcripts arrived withing 5 days and they were free.
Getting the tax records was the easiest part of my K-1 application.
Old Oct 27th 2002, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

What you got were the transcripts as opposed to actual copies of the forms. Actual copies of the forms and copies of your W2's cost $23 a year. The INS is stupid, I agree! On the affidavit of support that you take to the Embassy for your interview, they request notarized copies of your tax returns. THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!! Your signature is not notarized at the time you sign them so how the heck do you get it notarized 3 years later??? Luckily, an option at the Embassy interview is to also take a signed letter from the bank of the USC that tells your deposits over the last year to help prove your income.
Old Oct 27th 2002, 4:34 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I did a bit more digging and this is what I found at the IRS's website...

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/page/0,,id%3D15901,00.html

PHOTOCOPY OF ACTUAL RETURN -- This includes a photocopy of the tax form itself AND of your W-2s for the tax year requested.

TAX TRANSCRIPT -- Gives you a line-by-line listing of the return information from the form filed for the tax year requested. From IRS website: "In most cases, a transcript will meet the requirements for lending institutions for mortgage verification purposes. These transcripts are also widely accepted for financial aid and student loan purposes." AVAILABLE FOR 1040 SERIES ONLY (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, etc).

TO OBTAIN PHOTOCOPY OR TRANSCRIPT:
- Form 4506 - download at URL above or order from 800-829-1040
- Cost: FREE
- Timeline: Approximately 10 business days

TO OBTAIN EXACT COPY OF PREVIOUSLY FILED RETURN (including W-2s):
- Cost: $23.00 for each tax period requested
- Timeline: Allow 60 calendar days for a response. Can possibly get it faster by visiting an IRS office in person.

TO OBTAIN W-2 INFORMATION ONLY:
- CURRENT YEAR MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE
- Cost: FREE
- Timeline: ?? (didn't say, but probably not very long)

Hope this helps anyone out there who's clueless like me about this stuff!

~ Jenney