Wikiposts

tax returns

Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

londonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nice
Default tax returns

Ive just spoke to my wife who is currently in America and she said after using the automated transcript request line that she has been told that the 2009 is not availiable? Is there any truth in this? Doesn't seem right to me.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax returns

Originally Posted by londonmale2008
Ive just spoke to my wife who is currently in America and she said after using the automated transcript request line that she has been told that the 2009 is not availiable? Is there any truth in this? Doesn't seem right to me.
Tax return transcripts for 2009 should be available. Did she file a return for 2009?

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

londonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nicelondonmale2008 is just really nice

her fathers accountant should have but who knows. Shes calling the accountant now.

It could also be she is pressing the wrong buttons and getting through to the wrong dept. very irritating.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She can always just photocopy her 2009 tax return. While transcripts are convenient, they aren't mandatory!

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She can always just photocopy her 2009 tax return. While transcripts are convenient, they aren't mandatory!

Ian
I'm really glad she can't read this as I just swore that only a transcript will do. haha

She had a zero income anyway so its not as if there will be W-2s to accompany or anything.

Thanks again all, it is much appreciated.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really glad she can't read this as I just swore that only a transcript will do. haha

She had a zero income anyway so its not as if there will be W-2s to accompany or anything.

Thanks again all, it is much appreciated.
If she had zero income, why did she file a tax return?

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

I understood it is the law that you have to file a tax return regardless of income level? Regardless i'm sure the embassy officer would be pleased to see that she is filing returns even if they are nil, goes towards the intent to domicile etc.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:50 am

I understood it is the law that you have to file a tax return regardless of income level? Regardless i'm sure the embassy officer would be pleased to see that she is filing returns even if they are nil, goes towards the intent to domicile etc.
Oh, I see...sorry, I didn't realize she was overseas.

There is a minimum income level for filing a tax return...if you earn below that level, you are not required by law to file a return.

As stated, she can just provide a photocopy of her tax return from 2009.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Yeah think i'm going to do that.

Bit of side note, shes on a student visa but DCF'd (and was approved). For:

Mailling Address: Do I put her U.S. or U.K. address? She lives in the U.K. with me but we'd be putting her Parents addresss whom we will be living with.

Place of residence: i'm assuming will be UK addresss

Country of domicle: Should I put UK or U.S.?! Shes got strong ties to the U.S. as shes on a temporary visa, assets, bank accouts, loans etc. but do I put UK because shes been living here as a student for about 15 months?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:03 am

Yeah think i'm going to do that.

Bit of side note, shes on a student visa but DCF'd (and was approved). For:

Mailling Address: Do I put her U.S. or U.K. address? She lives in the U.K. with me but we'd be putting her Parents addresss whom we will be living with.

Country of domicle: Should I put UK or U.S.?! Shes got strong ties to the U.S. as shes on a temporary visa, assets, bank accouts, loans etc. but do I put UK because shes been living here as a student for about 15 months?
What form are you filling out?

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

apologies i'm refering to the affidavit
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:10 am

apologies i'm refering to the affidavit
The I-864? Actually she should be filling that out, not you.

I don't know the answers, but someone asked the same questions recently...see if you can dig up some other posts by DCF-ers and see how they filled out the I-864.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-864? Actually she should be filling that out, not you.

I don't know the answers, but someone asked the same questions recently...see if you can dig up some other posts by DCF-ers and see how they filled out the I-864.

Rene
ha she is filling it out under my guidance (I-864). Will do a search now for the questions. cheers.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 detailed instructions address these questions. Sound to me as though Mailing Address and Place of Residence are both in the UK, but Country of Domicile is the USA. Why, because she's in the UK temporarily for study, with every intention of returning to her principal place of residence in the USA as soon as her studies are completed.

This should be a lot easier for her than for someone who moved to the UK to work at what might be called a 'permanent' job, as opposed to a contract job or company rotation expected to last only a few years. Or for someone who moved to the UK to live with and be supported by their spouse. Such people would have a more difficult time showing that the move was only temporary, but for a young student it should be fairly easy to show that domicile remained in the USA.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Nov 17th 2010 at 7:12 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Tiny thread jack - even if under the required AGI to file a tax return in the USA, it simplifies life tremendously to always file, no matter what, especially if one lives in a state with state income tax.

When someone stops filing, then starts filing again, the IRS doesn't say, "Oh, they must not have met the minimum..." they say, "Oh! They must be avoiding paying taxes!" and once you again start filing taxes, IRS and/or state revenue will want to know why have a gap.

BTDT and never will skip any year of filing due to the tremendous headache and hassle to explain the gap. In particular, I had a problem with the State revenue bureau.

As for transcripts, 2009 transcripts were available back in May 2010 when we DCF'd. There is a choice of the automated system or talking to a real person, so she'll be able to figure it out if trying again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.