Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Syed84 K1 visa approved

Syed84 K1 visa approved

Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

syed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Syed84 K1 visa approved

Thank you guys

So if I understand correctly I will be able to get my SSN after about two weeks. At which point can I apply for my drivers test/license? We have had our court marriage just now planning the week long of
Asian wedding functions

Will be starting my AOS paperwork after Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2013, 10:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syed84
Thank you guys

So if I understand correctly I will be able to get my SSN after about two weeks. At which point can I apply for my drivers test/license? We have had our court marriage just now planning the week long of
Asian wedding functions

Will be starting my AOS paperwork after Christmas
Yes.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

syed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the roughsyed84 is a jewel in the rough

Would you say I am good to go and get my ssn tomorrow? I entered on 16th December. Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office I would pop into and what I should take with me?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would you say I am good to go and get my ssn tomorrow?
Yes.

Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office...
SSA - Social Security Administration. You can get the address of your local office online.

... what I should take with me?
Take a copy of your I-94... you can get it online and print it; and your passport with the K-1 visa in it.

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Ian

Helpful as always
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For a social security number one applies to the Social Security Administration.
Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office I would pop into ...
See the application form and instructions on the SSA web site.
... and what I should take with me?
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All

I went down to the SSA office and they did not have a SSN for me. I was told they need to verify with homeland security. Is this process really likely to take up to 4 weeks?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

I went down to the SSA office and they did not have a SSN for me. I was told they need to verify with homeland security. Is this process really likely to take up to 4 weeks?
They always need to verify with homeland security, even in the most straightforward cases, and yeah, it can take up to several weeks. It's just that for a CR-1, the form has a place where you can request a number, so they get a lot of the processing out of the way for you while your visa paperwork is processing (I think). Otherwise my husband could not have got his SSN just a week or so after landing.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Did they say they needed to do a "manual" verification? If that's the case, then yes, it can take several weeks.

My husband is from Iran, and came to the USA on a K-1. When we applied for his SSN, they said they needed to do a manual verification because of where he was from. At that time (2004), they said they did manual verifications on everyone from Iran, Syria, and maybe Pakistan. The list could be different nowadays.

If I recall correctly, it took 4 weeks to get the manual verification cleared and then another 2 weeks to get the actual SS card in the mail.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There are two ways to "verify with [H]omeland [S]ecurity". One is to use a computer to look you up in the DHS SAVE data base. It can typically take up to 2 weeks after entry to show up in SAVE, which is the basis for the recommendation that a K-1 not apply until they have been in the USA for 2 weeks.

The second way is for the SSA to submit a form G-845 to USCIS to confirm a person's immigration status. This manual process can take weeks.

Regards, JEff
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well I'm not sure the lady at the DMV was able to verify my status and issue me with a state ID. The guys at the SSA needed to verify although if I'm totally honest he looked very confused
Old Dec 30th 2013, 9:02 pm

Well I'm not sure the lady at the DMV was able to verify my status and issue me with a state ID. The guys at the SSA needed to verify although if I'm totally honest he looked very confused
Did the guy accept your SSN application? I mean, did you hand it over to him and he kept it? Or did he just tell you he needs to check, and not take any documents from you?

DMV and SSA are totally separate agencies, so might not use the same source for checking status.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

He took my application in after going over my passport, I94 and marriage license

I'm still good to submit my AoS paperwork?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 10:22 pm

He took my application in after going over my passport, I94 and marriage license
OK, then to me it sounds like he wants to do that manual verification process. You can always go back in person again anytime to ask for an update on the application. Don't try it by phone, because they cannot know your identity on the phone, and SS information is secure. Do it in person.

I'm still good to submit my AoS paperwork?
Oh yes, you don't need your SSN for that. Get that filed as soon after marriage as possible.

Rene
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Just completing my AOS, AP and EAD paperwork.

How many passport photos do I need to submit with the entire package?

Is one copy of my I-94, birth certificate, passport photo page,visa/entry stamp page, vaccination sheet and marriage license be enough? Or should I submit separate copies for each form?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.